Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 12:51:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found plastic tank owners with $$$ and desire for an alloy tank! - now questions  (Read 2862 times)
chipripper
El Borracho mas grandisimo

« on: March 17, 2017, 10:05:08 AM »

Hi DMFers.

~Update #4 So I recieved my PO from Dave for my alloy tank, and I am in the waiting game. Once the tank arrives I will put some pics here so y'all can check it out. I have a few questions, and I have tacked them to the end of this thread. These may belong in the tech section, so let me know if I should start a new thread over there.

Price: We found 3 people, so it was $1990 shipped to CA.
Finish: Dave's comment below

"Only mill finish because I would not be comfortable doing the sanding necessary to polish it and I would advise against it. On this particular tank I start with .065 thickness and in a couple areas it ends up .037 to .040. Anything under .040 is trouble if we start removing material. "

Thanks,

John

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 06:38:43 AM by chipripper » Logged

2008 S2R1000 black and white, mostly stock ;-)
Marving header, Velocity stacks, Pod filters, Flashed ECU to DP map, Polished valve covers and cam covers, SSR reverse shifter and inspection cover, Aelle adjustable pegs, Windscreen and cowl removal, Many plastic bits removed, Cut beer tray
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:39:53 AM »

1.  Is that the lowest he can go for a group buy?
2.  What pump/filter mount will he use?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
chipripper

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 11:17:25 AM »

Ducatiz,

Q1
I don't know if that is as low as he CAN go for a group buy, just that this is the price break for going from 1 tank to 3. I don't really want to go much beyond 3 people, or try to exert downward pressure on the price, since the more people and money involved, the more likely it is to fall apart. I assume Dave can't achieve much economy of scale, since he is hand making these. If I manage to find 2 or 5 buying partners, I will pull the trigger. If not I will, at some point, pay full price.

Q2
My goal is to have a replica of my factory S2R tank, with respect to the round pump/filter flange, and to use my stock filler cap. So this purchase would need to be 2008 S2R compatible. I know that means it will fit other years, and maybe models, but I bet you have a better understanding of which bikes than I do.

He has made the S4R (oval flange) bottom previously, so I assume a separate individual or group buy could be arranged for S4R owners.

HTH

Marving header, Velocity stacks, Pod filters, Flashed ECU to DP map, Polished valve covers and cam covers, SSR reverse shifter and inspection cover, Aelle adjustable pegs, Windscreen and cowl removal, Many plastic bits removed, Cut beer tray
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 11:58:38 AM »

Plastic tanks started on the S2R, but they're not exclusive to that model.
Perhaps "plastic tank owners" in the title instead of "S2R owners".

I strongly advise against applying any downwards pressure on the price.
Depending on his character, he may respond with a polite refusal, or a "make the beast with two backs off get out of my shop".
Counterproductive at best.
If you can gather at least 5 committed orders, then you could broach the subject.

He may be willing to do two round-flange and one oval-flange, for example.
That would be worth asking him about.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
MAXdB

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 12:08:41 PM »

If the tank will work with an s4rs, I am definitely in.
chipripper

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 02:49:01 PM »

Speeddog,

I would normally not try to negotiate much with highly-skilled, independent, professional types. I know first-hand how much time and effort goes into building a specialized skillset, and running a business. Dave is a legit artist/craftsman. http://www.whitesmithstudio.com/ is his art page and Bio. Based on what I see on his motorcycle page, he makes really nice stuff, in small batches, for a niche community.

MAXdB,

I will ask if he can do a mixed run, at the lower price. From what I know, he will make the same top half, with a different bottom half (round vs oval fuel flange). You may want to confirm in the various tank compatibility threads, if your specific year / model has any other differences besides the fuel flange.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 04:30:23 PM »

AFAIK:

S4Rs and S4Rt have their own unique bottom shape due to the size of the 998 engine, thus the small oval flange.

All 2-valve 2nd and 3rd gen Monsters with plastic tanks (S2R800, S2R1000, M620, M695) have the same bottom shape, and large round flange.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
chipripper

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 05:36:49 PM »

So is it safe to say there are only 2 plastic tanks? (Round and oval flange)

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 07:24:03 PM »

AFAIK:

There's 3 different part numbers of plastic tanks:

58610441.XX > '05-'08 M620, S2R800, S2R1000 (Shows also '04 M800s, I don't think those came to the USA)

58610451.XX > '07-'08 M400, M695 (Shows also '07 S2R800)

58610631.XX > '06-'08 S4Rs, S4Rt

--------------------------------------------------

I've not noticed any configuration differences between S2R800 and M695 that would necessitate a different tank.
Externally, the engines are identical.
All of the electrics, battery, airbox and such under the tank is the same stuff.
Frame differences are nowhere near the tank.

Perhaps the 451 is a different vendor, or material, or processing or Huh?

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

chipripper

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 06:33:31 AM »

Speeddog,

Thanks for the part numbers.

MaxdB,

Dave confirmed he will do a mixed run, at the discounted price. I still have a few questions outstanding, so I will update you when I hear back re: shipping, finishes, etc.

MAXdB

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 10:55:57 AM »

Chipripper, 

Thanks for the update.  Looking forward to hearing back, and really hoping I can finally get an acceptable solution for this issue!
chipripper

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 03:05:10 PM »

MaxDb. Dave emailed me this morning, and said he has a committed buyer for a monster tank. So you and I would make a run of 3. If you still want to move forward let me know, and we can start to coordinate the details.

I still have outstanding, a request for shipping estimate to 91942.

MAXdB

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »

MaxDb. Dave emailed me this morning, and said he has a committed buyer for a monster tank. So you and I would make a run of 3. If you still want to move forward let me know, and we can start to coordinate the details.

I still have outstanding, a request for shipping estimate to 91942.

Definitely still interested!  PM sent.
chipripper

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 07:06:54 AM »

Questions!

My tank is on the way, and I am trying to decide what to do about paint, lining, and the tail section. So here are a few questions:

Should I line the tank? What would you do?

My best info is to not use a hard epoxy on a metal tank, since the metal expands and contracts, which will cause the epoxy to crack. Dave says no coating is needed on aluminum, but recommends RedCoat for its relative flexibility if I choose to coat.

Paint: I would really love a black stripe / black ducati logo, with clearcoat over the aluminum. My current color scheme is black with white stripe. To keep a "factory" look, I would like to get an aluminum tail cowl made, so I can have a matching tank / cowl. But of course this is more $$. So, recommendations / wild ideas currently being accepted for paint.

drval85

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 06:00:32 PM »

Any photos??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: