Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 04:58:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yippie! Got the bike ....... and now for even more questions!  (Read 3523 times)
diamonddog-2

« on: March 08, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »

Well, I've been thinking about getting a few things I'll be needin' for the '01 M900 S      I've been looking at ebay for some filters, belts, a stand, etc., trying to save a few bucks.    Garage is still a little too cold to start wrenching but I'd like to be well situated with the parts when it's warm enough.

As you probably know, there's usually about a 2 week return policy on items. To be honest, I haven't done a lot of bike parts shopping on ebay.  Generally speaking, if I've entered the correct search info for my bike make, year, model#,  will the filters - belts - etc. be the correct fit for my Ducati?  It'd be a drag to finally get at it in 3 weeks after receiving the parts, only to find the parts don't actually fit.

Also, the previous owner removed the stock headlight and carbon fiber fairing. I'm looking to replace them both and add a belly pan as well.  The current dual headlamp has a simple carbon fiber mount [looks like "ears" that the dual lamp sits in between] that secures the headlamp with a bolt on the left and right side. I've found a aftermarket standard round headlamp that is supposed to fit a few Ducati models as well as mine.  It looks like it has a fair chance of fitting.  Question: [finally]  Would the round headlamp require anything else to secure it to the bike?  I've also seen a aftermarket carbon fiber bikini style fairing that's supposed to fit this bike as well.  Any mounting hardware that I would need for that or should it take just a few bolts?. 

It seems to me that I've seen some bulky looking headlight and headlight mounting bracket for sale from a [claimed] '03 and a '05 620 but I don't know if these are actually needed to mount such  seemingly simple parts like a headlight and small fairing.  Just wondering what you guys think.

...as always, thanks.

2001 M900S   2002 Aero 1100   2012 1100 EVO

"Son, I hope God gave you a big d*ck 'cause he sure shorted you on brains"
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 04:52:17 PM »

Pictures will help us about the head light...  It sounds like this bike just has the 'ears' made of carbon fibre instead of stock aluminum. Two bolts is all it takes, yes.

If I'm not mistaken, your fairing has brackets that will only hold fairings for that, or close, years. Unless the previous owner replaced more parts. Pictures...

For secure purchases of belts and such - buy from our sponsors who know what you need.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
diamonddog-2

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »

Thanks for the response.   The new, round headlight might mount with the CF "ears" that the previous owner put on it to hold his dual lights,  or at least I'm hopeful.  Was the stock mount for the stock headlight like the one in this ad? :  http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mpo/6029127341.html

The bike currently has no fairing or brackets. When the bikes originally came out with the fairing, was there a metal style bracket for the fairing?  The one I've seen on ebay is fairing only, no metal as far as I can see. MAYBE the fairing could mount to the CF ears?  Not sure what all is needed or possible with aftermarket CF parts.   Yes, agreed, pictures would be helpful and I'll post something if I figure out how.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 05:23:14 PM »

No, that's the small U-bracket to mount other parts on. It has nothing to do with the head light or fairing.

Head lights will fit between normal ears.

Download the parts catalog for your bike and a random newer bike. You'll see what's what about the fairing and brackets. Ducati.com -> Dealers and services -> Parts catalogs.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
JEZ900ie

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 10:41:08 AM »

The standard headlight on these bikes is not very good, which might be the reason why the previous owner changed it.  I am trying out other options to switch out mine to something which really lights up the road at night.

Currently I have an LED light to fit, but I am waiting for a new headlight fairing to arrive as I'd like to do it all at the same time. I'll post back here in a week or two with an update if this works well.
diamonddog-2

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 12:53:59 PM »

JEZ900ie - Thanks for your input. I'll be interested to hear what you find out with the headlight brightness and fairing mount. I hope your LED works just great.  The aftermarket headlight I ordered should be here soon. Hopefully it works well too.  I guess I'll just go a step at a time. Fairing and maintenance parts will be next.   The story I got from the previous owner was that he was going for a different look with the dual headlight.....?   Not my cup of tea but everybody has their own taste and style.   

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 07:10:39 PM »

My first call for parts for my '01 M900S is Jeff at Monsterparts.  I then try California Cycleworks.  Finally, when I need an OEM part that neither offers, I usually call Pro Italia.

They all sell new, so won't help you with the save bucks/eBay comment, but I offer them to you here (in case you're unfamiliar) because they've proven to be reliable to me over the years.  If you order from Jeff, he can tell you definitively if something will fit, as can CA Cycleworks, although neither sells everything and they don't really deal in OEM stuff.

Anyway, congrats with the bike and good luck.   waytogo

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
diamonddog-2

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 03:36:20 PM »

1.21GW,

Thanks for the heads-up on parts and well wishes. I'll contact the suppliers to see what [$] my tab might be.      I was looking back over the email folder of all things Ducati related that I started a little over a year ago, when my search started, and found one of my original emails to a friend. I mentioned how much I just loved the look/lines/stance of the earlier M900 S models. Kinda funny that it's the one I totally fell for.

I just like opening my garage door and seeing it parked there.   Love to hear it's voice too.   Life is good. 

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 01:43:25 PM »

Enjoy. A great model too imo.

2015 Scrambler 800
GK

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 05:05:35 AM »

Great choice!
I love mine also.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
JEZ900ie

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 11:22:42 AM »

JEZ900ie - Thanks for your input. I'll be interested to hear what you find out with the headlight brightness and fairing mount. I hope your LED works just great.  The aftermarket headlight I ordered should be here soon. Hopefully it works well too.  I guess I'll just go a step at a time. Fairing and maintenance parts will be next.   The story I got from the previous owner was that he was going for a different look with the dual headlight.....?   Not my cup of tea but everybody has their own taste and style.   

Its been the season of long light days so I still haven't really tested the headlamp that much... Its starting to get darker at 9.30pm, so I will -weather permitting- get an updated review here soon.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: