Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 02, 2024, 09:13:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new to motorcycles and ducatis, help a noob out!  (Read 7215 times)
garethsmyth88

« on: February 18, 2017, 07:05:54 PM »

hey guys, so within the next week i should be going to pick up a used Monster 695 (2007) with 7600 miles.

the bike needs the 7k interval service as well as either jumped or a whole battery replacement.

the seller wants $2500, is that a fair price?

the guy i am buying it of is a military guy (do not know him personally) but i have been talking to him on and off for the past month and he seems super genuine.

he is actually willing to let me pay for half of the bike up front (i will take the bike and the clean title) and pay the rest monthly, he will put in the agreement the problems that the bike has and if it turns out it has ore he will adjust the price accordingly or he will give me a full refund.

i sent him a list of questions and he answered them, ill let you guys see them and you can let me know what you think:

bike brand?
Ducati monster 695

engine size?
695 cc

does the bike start?
currently no

what was the bike used for? (track, commute, leisure)
leisure and commute

reason for sale?
moving to a new base

is the bike clean and straight?
yes

has the bike ever been in an accident?
no

was the bike raced (track or street)?
not that I'm aware

last oil change?
1200miles ago

are the brakes smooth, do they pulse, pad life remaining?
yes no pulsing

is there any rust on the gas tank?
no

how is the condition of the seat?
clean no rips

how much tire tread is left? general condition of tires?
80-85 tread

all electrical lights and switches in working order?
yes

do the forks leak? does the suspension knock or squeak?
no

any bends or twists in forks/legs?
no

any bends/cracks on wheels?
no

chain and sprocket wear (hooked teeth/stretched chain?)
chain and sprocket it clean no wear

is there any exhaust damage (scratches/rust/dents)?
no clean exhaust

any modifications?
yes, termi exhaust, air intake, tuned.

is there anything wrong with the bike?
doesn’t start, new battery, 7k service

any maintain/safety issues?
nope

are the service records available?
yes

does it have a clean title?
yes

originally i was going to buy a newer bike but i then came to think that because this will be my first bike it would be much less painful on my heart to drop the bike and would be a quirky bike to get to know and love.

i have close to no street bike experience and little to no mechanical experience.

so here are my questions…
good starter ducati?
do you think this is a good deal?
do you think i can replace the battery myself?
do you think i could do the service myself?
does it sound like the bike is in clean shape?
would you buy a bike that doesn’t start due to a battery problem?

sorry for the long winded question i just didn’t know how to shorten it lol, thanks in advance!

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »

The bike needs a full service, and probably tires...even though there's plenty of tread. They get old and don't perform as designed.

The full service because of both miles and age. It likely also needs a battery.

You're looking at putting ~ a grand into the bike. I don't think you could do the service yourself unless you have wrench twisting experience.

Is the bike worth $3500 to you?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

d3vi@nt

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 07:45:34 PM »

Seller says he has service records, ask to see them. If he's done belts, valves, fluids, etc. per the maintenance schedule (based on months/years, not just miles), you're good. Otherwise, as DP says above, you're in for $1-2k at the dealer.

The battery is easy enough to replace with basic skills and tools. Which makes me wonder why the owner hasn't done it. If it doesn't start, there's no way for a buyer to know how it runs and rides.

If it only needs a battery and maintenance is relatively current, the price along with the Termi's seems like a good deal to me.

Good luck and keep us posted  waytogo

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
d3vi@nt

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 08:19:22 PM »

Couple other things; '07 had the plastic tank, so you might read up on this thread to know what to look for: http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=25074.0

'07 also had an immobilizer, came with two black keys and the infamous red key and code card. I'd recommend asking the owner if he has these, as well.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
daddyducati

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 09:07:23 PM »

OMG... 2500 for a 7000 mile 695.  If you like it buy it man. You will only regret not jumping on it.  If you're unsure walk away.  Buyers regret sucks. 

You'll need to spend money on it...welcome to motorcycling.  They seem to need something all the time and suck up money fast.  It's part of the hobby.   A service and fresh rubber is expensive but a new Duc is $10,000.  Can't play for free!
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 06:31:18 AM »

I'm going to give advice contrary to those above: don't buy it.

OP said he is new to motorcycles, so I think the smart move to get something that is low maintenance, without a history of problems, and importantly, that runs at sale.  Ride that bike for awhile and then upgrade if needed.  With some experience and mechanical know-how, you can decide whether to buy as your second bike one that needs work.

For now, though, save the potential headache of buying a bike that needs TLC at the start.  Yeah, it might just be a $1000 or service and then you got a great bike for a great price, but all other possibilities are not pretty for a first-time owner.

My $0.02.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
garethsmyth88

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 08:54:22 AM »

The bike needs a full service, and probably tires...even though there's plenty of tread. They get old and don't perform as designed.

The full service because of both miles and age. It likely also needs a battery.

You're looking at putting ~ a grand into the bike. I don't think you could do the service yourself unless you have wrench twisting experience.

Is the bike worth $3500 to you?

hi and thank you for the reply, i was aware that i needed the full service and the battery, i do think that the bike is worth 3500 to me but i was wondering if i could take the rest of winter and do the service myself or maybe even just the battery, that should save some $$$ what would you say the bike is worth?
garethsmyth88

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »

Seller says he has service records, ask to see them. If he's done belts, valves, fluids, etc. per the maintenance schedule (based on months/years, not just miles), you're good. Otherwise, as DP says above, you're in for $1-2k at the dealer.

The battery is easy enough to replace with basic skills and tools. Which makes me wonder why the owner hasn't done it. If it doesn't start, there's no way for a buyer to know how it runs and rides.

If it only needs a battery and maintenance is relatively current, the price along with the Termi's seems like a good deal to me.

Good luck and keep us posted  waytogo

i will ask today to see the service history but as far as i am aware no big services have been done other than oil changes, what else should i be looking for?

i know the bike needs the 7k service done (belts and valves) as well as a new battery the seller hasnt hid that from me and thats why hes selling it for a discounted price. for both of these i have had quotes of between $800-$1100 but i think im going to do the battery myself to save a little $$$.

the reason the seller hasnt done the battery is because he is out of the country (military) and will return next week, he said his cousin tried to start the bike and it wouldnt start, he said it might just need jumped and that the bike ran 100% other than needing the service before he left for service. so the bike could just need jumped or a new battery.

however like i said the seller said he will write up a contract stating the problems with the bike and if there are any more the price will be adjusted or i can return the bike
garethsmyth88

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 09:02:59 AM »

OMG... 2500 for a 7000 mile 695.  If you like it buy it man. You will only regret not jumping on it.  If you're unsure walk away.  Buyers regret sucks. 

You'll need to spend money on it...welcome to motorcycling.  They seem to need something all the time and suck up money fast.  It's part of the hobby.   A service and fresh rubber is expensive but a new Duc is $10,000.  Can't play for free!

i think its a great price but like everyone i want to make sure im not spending my money on junk, i can afford to pay someone to the the service but i think it would be a good learning experience to do myself, what makes you think the bike will need new tires? it has a good amount of thread left and has only been sitting in a heated garage for 4 months
garethsmyth88

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 09:07:04 AM »

OP said he is new to motorcycles, so I think the smart move to get something that is low maintenance, without a history of problems, and importantly, that runs at sale.  Ride that bike for awhile and then upgrade if needed.  With some experience and mechanical know-how, you can decide whether to buy as your second bike one that needs work.

For now, though, save the potential headache of buying a bike that needs TLC at the start.  Yeah, it might just be a $1000 or service and then you got a great bike for a great price, but all other possibilities are not pretty for a first-time owner.

My $0.02.

thank you for your thoughts, its good to have a different opinion, however i am pretty set on riding a monster, its one of the few bikes i have lusted for since i was a child and now i have the money to have one Smiley im not really worried about the maintenance as im eager to get hand on a learn, i have the tools available just not the experience. the seller has told me that he will write up the contract and if the bike needs more than the service and the batter either jumped or replaced he will give me a full refund or adjust the price accordingly.

the seller is actually only taking half the money up front to ensure that i know hes telling the truth about that the bike needs.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 09:33:44 AM »

GO FOR IT  Dolph

Tires are old and have become hard - probably quite/very slippery.

I wouldn't even start this bike until the service is done (because of the aging belts). Better safe than sorry.

IMO the learning curve is just too steep for you to service it yourself.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
garethsmyth88

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 09:44:31 AM »

GO FOR IT  Dolph

Tires are old and have become hard - probably quite/very slippery.

I wouldn't even start this bike until the service is done (because of the aging belts). Better safe than sorry.

IMO the learning curve is just too steep for you to service it yourself.

thats my thoughts too, i feel that its too good of a deal to pass up on, considering the guy is letting me pay half up front and the rest when the bike is in riding condition, you think i will need to replace the tires right away or will they be good to ride on for a while? i will probably have the service done by a certified mechanic right away but i really want to do some of the maintenance/repair myself (the battery)
d3vi@nt

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 09:51:54 AM »

i will ask today to see the service history but as far as i am aware no big services have been done other than oil changes, what else should i be looking for?
You can grab the owner's manual here: http://www.ducatiusa.com/services/maintenance/index.do

This will give you an idea of what maintenance is needed.

...what makes you think the bike will need new tires? it has a good amount of thread left and has only been sitting in a heated garage for 4 months

Rubber ages. If the tires are more than 5-6 years old (based on the stamp on the tire, not purchase/install date), you'll likely want to replace them.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 10:01:28 AM »

There should be a production date on the side walls. Maybe the owner knows.... or you'll find out together. +/- three/four? years is fine - from there it's like riding on wet or worst case even ice.

There are many service points you can do with little knowledge, but with a few special tools. Checking brake pads, changing oil, checking suspension for leaks and of course battery. The shop you use will check the battery for you and then you can decide to replace or just charge it (when they service the bike, the battery will be removed anyway, so there's no extra cost for them to replace it)(same with the fuel tank - checked for expansion while they do the sevice) Any chance you could watch them work?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 10:59:51 AM »

My $0.02.

X $0.02 = $0.04.

You have no way to know what you are buying if it doesn't run.  Want a Monster?  Get yourself a running 620 or 695 at a reduced price due to the pre-dented tank.  The bike you are looking at might be great deal, but IMO, for someone else.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: