Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 07:41:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is your plastic tank experience after all this time?  (Read 14158 times)
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 05:50:20 AM »

In my case, I have to drive all the way to Oklahoma and gas up 2 5-gallon cans with non-eth fuel.  It gives me a chance to play some video poker while I'm up there, but it's a hassle to go fetch it, and then treat and store it... but I do it because I don't want problems.

Even here in Texas, the land of gas and oil, it is becoming more and more difficult to find non-eth fuel, particularly in metro locations, which, in the case of Texas, is much like California... you can't get it.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
skurvy

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 05:35:20 PM »

1.  Did you get the frame modification for the tank? Yes

2.  Did you get a replacement tank?  Have you noticed changes in the new tank? On 3rd or 4th tank now, seriously lost count. Original 2006 tank had ripples and blisters. 2nd tank, same problem. 3rd tank, dealer did not offer coating option. Still ended up distorting and swelling. Ok I remember now, took it back after 3rd replacement and they performed the frame mod and said everything else was cosmetic and sent me on my way so this is my 3rd tank. Ripples were an eyesore to look at, mainly at the knee indentations, so I covered the sides up with TechSpec tank grips. *Side note (@59k miles), I had to replace the fuel pump wire harness because the ethanol most likely deteriorated the epoxy causing a wire contact/fuel pump failure.

3.  Did you coat your tank?  Was it the original tank or was it a new tank?  If new, where did you get it from (i.e. from Ducati or bought it elsewhere)? Did not coat any replacement tanks, all tanks replaced with new tanks from the dealer and fuel treated with Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment if sitting for more than a couple weeks. (No pure-gas.org fuel stations in Northern Virginia/Washington DC area).

4.  Do you have the original tank and have had no problems with expansion? All tanks returned to Ducati, current tank has expanded to the point where tank latch release is difficult to use and unable to lock handlebars to the left.
TWDucfan

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2017, 06:41:14 PM »

Pure Gas link doesn't work.  Sad Sad
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 06:47:01 PM »

Pure Gas link doesn't work.  Sad Sad

I just clicked it and it works for me.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 06:49:48 PM »

The link works, but my bike isn't tuned for 100 octane avgas...

Heath

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 10:41:07 PM »

For my 2006 Ducati S2R800 Dark I had one tank replaced and never coated. I tried to get it replaced again a couple months before the deadline. The local dealer sat on the paperwork and sent it in late then blamed me. Told me sorry but you are out of luck. I ended up selling the bike swollen tank but I fully disclosed that to the buyer. He was going to try to air out out, shrink it down and coat it. I never hard from him again

For my 2007 S4R
1.  Did you get the frame modification for the tank?
Does this mean the bracket kit? If so no

2.  Did you get a replacement tank?  Have you noticed changes in the new tank?
Previous owner had it replaced once and then coated it with caswells. So far so good its holding up after being coated at least 4 years?

3.  Did you coat your tank?  Was it the original tank or was it a new tank?  If new, where did you get it from (i.e. from Ducati or bought it elsewhere)?
Second tank was coated the previous owner. It was from a Ducati warranty claim.

4.  Do you have the original tank and have had no problems with expansion?
The original tank had to be given back to the dealer.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2017, 09:16:13 AM »

3.  Did you coat your tank?  Was it the original tank or was it a new tank?  If new, where did you get it from (i.e. from Ducati or bought it elsewhere)? Did not coat any replacement tanks, all tanks replaced with new tanks from the dealer and fuel treated with Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment if sitting for more than a couple weeks. (No pure-gas.org fuel stations in Northern Virginia/Washington DC area).

FYI the tank coating option is not offered by Ducati and most dealers don't do it.  You would have to do it yourself or get someone who does it.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2017, 09:18:15 AM »

mine is worst than before. my steering damper mount used to not touch my tank. now i put a 1-2mm deep gash into my tank.
it sat with about 1/2 gallong of fuel for over a year and sweelled up more.

How much expansion? i.e. ove the sides?

Drain it, wash it out and let it sit.  You can pick up some of those mil surp dessicant bags (they are 4 or 6 oz, i forget) and pack them inside to dry it out faster.

Unless you have external rippling that is flexible (water trapped) the tank can likely shrink back to spec size.

Read my instructions on how to prep and coat it.  The coating works if you do it right.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
jgrm1

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 12:50:13 PM »

Too bad the aftermarket aluminum tanks never came to fruition, but this is a good follow up.  I am glad to see that Caswells is holding up well for others.  I do go out of my way to keep ethanol free fuel in the tank.  

1.  Did you get the frame modification for the tank? -- No

2.  Did you get a replacement tank?  Have you noticed changes in the new tank? -- I am on my third tank.  The original and second tank were replaced under warranty.  

3.  Did you coat your tank?  Was it the original tank or was it a new tank?  If new, where did you get it from (i.e. from Ducati or bought it elsewhere)?  -- I coated the third tank with Caswells myself before it was exposed to fuel.  It seems to be holding up.  I have noticed a slight expansion in the length of the tank (clasp is slightly tighter, but still functional).  No expansion in width.  This third tank does have a couple minor stretch marks in the paint.

4.  Do you have the original tank and have had no problems with expansion? -- Original was traded for warranty tank #1.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:56:59 PM by jgrm1 » Logged

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 12:12:45 PM »

Too bad the aftermarket aluminum tanks never came to fruition, but this is a good follow up.  I am glad to see that Caswells is holding up well for others.  I do go out of my way to keep ethanol free fuel in the tank.  

I tried and another company tried (motowheels?). .  it was partly the startup cost and the lack of interest.  I would have needed at least 20 people willing to pay about $1500 to get it done right.  The companies  I talked to wanted $30k just to make the stamping mould.  Just to start the process, which wouldn't even include the labor to install the plumbing etc (for prototypes).  That would just make a stamper mould for the top and bottom halves.  Too much.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2019, 01:15:10 PM »

Two and a half years, no winter drainage, 50/50 ethanol free or 5% = no expansion and the Caswell seems to hold up well  waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
JonS2R

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2019, 05:20:22 AM »

What's the frame modification I see being mentioned?

I'm on my original tank (unless the 1st owner had it replaced, I'm not sure). It had swelled with the 2nd owner who swapped it out with a less than perfect used tank to let the original dry out and shrink back down. I don't think it has any current signs of swelling....no ripples and it looks like it fits properly around the frame and ignition. I'm lucky having Exxon stations near my home and work that have ethanol free so that's what I use 95% of the time.

2007 S2R 1000
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2019, 10:32:30 AM »

Ethanol free helps a LOT  waytogo

The rubber pieces between tank and frame can be adjusted a few mm and there was a bracket or two to move an expanded tank (and seat?) back and away from the ignition switch.

JonS2R

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2019, 03:29:08 PM »

Ethanol free helps a LOT  waytogo

The rubber pieces between tank and frame can be adjusted a few mm and there was a bracket or two to move an expanded tank (and seat?) back and away from the ignition switch.

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. I went to upgrade my battery cables and could barely get the latch loose. Now I can't get it back on because the main part of the buckle hits the ignition trim keeping the latch from catching the hook. Dang. I used ethanol gas last weekend on a long ride. Maybe that and the warmer temps caused it to swell a little. My hinge bracket for the tank is slotted so I can move it back. Is that the bracket you're talking about? Now I just have to pull the damn tank off to loosen it and move it back a little bit.

2007 S2R 1000
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2019, 12:23:29 AM »

I think it was more than the slots, but don't know for sure.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: