Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 17, 2024, 09:40:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is your plastic tank experience after all this time?  (Read 14205 times)
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 05:45:34 PM »

This sounds worrisome, among all the gas stations out there who sells non-ethanol fuel?  Shots

http://pure-gas.org/

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
TWDucfan

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 10:45:14 PM »

Checked the one nearby but have to buy certain volume. Storing that much gasoline in garage is  boo boo

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 04:08:06 AM »

This sounds worrisome, among all the gas stations out there who sells non-ethanol fuel?  Shots

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov

Click on your state.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

danaid

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »

Checked the one nearby but have to buy certain volume. Storing that much gasoline in garage is  boo boo

I do not even have the option of having one nearby.  Undecided. I use a 76 station near me that is frequented by high end cars that use the 91 octane mostly. I assume that the 91 octane is fresh and primed to the blender hoses.

11' 1198SP  Black
09' 1100S    Red
09'     696.   Red   first Ducati (sold)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 02:51:54 PM »

Are there any concerns that this coating will not take since I have now used the tank for years with ethanol gas?

No.  You have to prep the tank thoroughly.  I do this by rinsing it with MarineClean (water based petroleum solvent) and then flushing it with xylene, and then letting it sit for a while to dry completely.

The marineclean will get out everything, even the smell.  I've found that the ethanol gas only penetrates a very small amount. I did quite a bit of testing with cut-up tanks.  Soaking the material in 10% ethanol pump gas in a sealed, zero-humidity container showed a near unmeasurable difference. Same situation with 50% humidity showed a 4-6% dimensional increase.  Long and short is that water is your problem which is solved by drying the tank.

Flushing the tank removes the residual fuel very well, and letting the tank sit and dry removes the water residue.

I also started rasping the interior in key spots including using a 1.5 mm drill bit to make divots in the interior surface.

The adhesive coating enters the divot holes and creates an anchor for the coating.

Done correctly, the coating is pretty near indestructible.  Just don't use 100% ethanol to test it like the factory did.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
TWDucfan

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 04:47:28 PM »

I do not even have the option of having one nearby.  Undecided. I use a 76 station near me that is frequented by high end cars that use the 91 octane mostly. I assume that the 91 octane is fresh and primed to the blender hoses.

Which brand (US, California) of gas at the pump is ethanol free??   Dolph Dolph

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:50:09 PM by TWDucfan » Logged
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 04:55:42 PM »

Which brand (US, California) of gas at the pump is ethanol free??   Dolph Dolph

Look it up...

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

roggie

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 05:33:08 PM »

No.  You have to prep the tank thoroughly.  I do this by rinsing it with MarineClean (water based petroleum solvent) and then flushing it with xylene, and then letting it sit for a while to dry completely.

The marineclean will get out everything, even the smell.  I've found that the ethanol gas only penetrates a very small amount. I did quite a bit of testing with cut-up tanks.  Soaking the material in 10% ethanol pump gas in a sealed, zero-humidity container showed a near unmeasurable difference. Same situation with 50% humidity showed a 4-6% dimensional increase.  Long and short is that water is your problem which is solved by drying the tank.

Flushing the tank removes the residual fuel very well, and letting the tank sit and dry removes the water residue.

I also started rasping the interior in key spots including using a 1.5 mm drill bit to make divots in the interior surface.

The adhesive coating enters the divot holes and creates an anchor for the coating.

Done correctly, the coating is pretty near indestructible.  Just don't use 100% ethanol to test it like the factory did.

cheers, thank you!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:04:19 PM by roggie » Logged

TWDucfan

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 06:46:24 PM »

Look it up...

Does this mean that all other commercially available pump gas (ARCO, Chevron, Shell, Mobile, Texaco, BP...) in the US/Cal are not methanol free?   Huh? Huh? Huh?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 06:59:44 PM »

Does this mean that all other commercially available pump gas (ARCO, Chevron, Shell, Mobile, Texaco, BP...) in the US/Cal are not methanol free?   Huh? Huh? Huh?

Ethanol...typically all pump gas in the US is 10% ethanol.

perspective

TWDucfan

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 07:17:43 PM »

Ethanol...typically all pump gas in the US is 10% ethanol.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Will it affect the 2014 Monster 796 plastic tank?

Thanks,

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »

I believe the tank issue was fixed prior to 14.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
TWDucfan

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 07:41:02 PM »

I believe the tank issue was fixed prior to 14.

Phew, that is nice to know.

Thanks, kopfjäger  Grin Grin Grin

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2017, 04:01:03 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Will it affect the 2014 Monster 796 plastic tank?

Thanks,

Lift your tank and look at the mold imprint on the bottom.  If it says PA6 then it is affected.

The later models used a cell + cover design so the outside is a separate part. They made the tank small enough that it expands and you don't know because its covered. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 09:36:38 PM »

mine is worst than before. my steering damper mount used to not touch my tank. now i put a 1-2mm deep gash into my tank.
it sat with about 1/2 gallong of fuel for over a year and sweelled up more.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: