Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 01:45:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is your plastic tank experience after all this time?  (Read 14223 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« on: February 16, 2017, 07:59:11 AM »

I still have my 2005 S2r and have monitored the tank since I coated it in 2009.  It has had very minimal dimensional changes -- some of which I assume to be "normal" expansion and contraction due to moisture and temperature.

If you still have the same bike that was affected by the lawsuit, i.e. a Monster or Multistrada with a plastic tank made of PA6 nylon:

1.  Did you get the frame modification for the tank?

2.  Did you get a replacement tank?  Have you noticed changes in the new tank?

3.  Did you coat your tank?  Was it the original tank or was it a new tank?  If new, where did you get it from (i.e. from Ducati or bought it elsewhere)?

4.  Do you have the original tank and have had no problems with expansion?

I'm not doing anything official, I'm just wondering how the issue has resolved itself. 

I used the Caswell coating on several tanks, some for people who paid me to do it, and found that it has held up very well.  I coated two bikes that I ride (S2r and a 620) and have since sold the 620.  My S2r was the very first tank I coated with the old Caswell formulation and I've inspected it with a fibre optic camera and measured it thru the years.  The images showed no obvious "delamination" of the coating and my measurements (front to back tip to tip and side to side external widest points) showed negligible variations (i.e. 2-3 mm).

After coating my tank in 2009 (or was it 2010?)  I started prepping the tanks differently -- rasping the surface inside the tank, making actual rough divots in the surface for the coating to hang from, drying them longer and flushing them out with xylene.  I chose xylene because it is compatible with PA6 (acc to various chem eng I consulted) and because Caswell said it was a compatible cutting agent for their product.

The last tank I did was probably the toughest because it had a very different surface -- the older tanks had a lot of artifact air bubbles and rougher surface, but the later tanks seemed to have a higher QA and almost no bubbles and a much smoother surface.  ALl of them indicated they were PA6 nylon, but the smoother surface gave me concern as to the adherence of the coating.  These tanks I made a bigger effort to prep the surfaces.  I used a very small drill bit to make shallow holes in the interior for the coating to enter and provide a hold.  In my testing (I cut up a tank) I found that a 1.5mm wide and 2mm deep hole did not compromise the tank's strength or flexibility and gave the Caswell coating a very good anchor.  Also, the coating's fill of the hole likely eliminated any weakness due to the hole once the coating solidified.

I'm curious what your experience was/is..

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 08:40:47 AM »

I sold my "tank affected" S4Rs a few years back, but want to thank you for starting this topic.  I'm very interested in hearing what people have to say.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

DucRS

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 09:30:39 AM »

My 07 S4RS  (One owner) had tank replaced under warranty in 09. New Tank has continued to bloat making it difficult to latch/unlatch but unnoticeable to the average eye. No coatings, raw from factory. The plan is to continue with the current tank till bloatness exceeds certain limits then modify a metal tank from an 05 donor I found in EBay. Somewhere on this forum I found a "How to", now to find it bang head
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:34:57 AM by DucRS » Logged

Black S4RS                               Black Multi S - Sold
Carbon Red Diavel                     ST4S abs - Sold
620 Red.
xcaptainxbloodx

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 09:57:18 AM »

I have an 06 S2R 800 that had its tank replaced about 4 or 5 years ago (no coating) and used the adjustable mounts.

Its swelled a bit over the years but not enough to affect anything. no bubbling, no leak at the fuel pump flange, no contact with the bars.

I do have spare tank in the rafters if that ever changes.  If that happens ill swap everything over and put my old tank in the rafters so it can come back to size.  If I have to do that every 4-8 (or whatever) years im ok with that.  If nothing else its a good time to change the fuel filter and inspect the fuel pump wiring/hoses.

If I fall ass backwards into a steel tank (monster or 851/888) or a good deal on an aluminum one ill consider that option too, but its not really a concern of mine.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 11:08:59 AM »

Not enough expansion to need it. Guessing 2-4 mm length expansion after 8 years with 50/50 zero/low ethanol. In Europe no replacement tanks offered AFAIK.

Two low miles used tanks borrowed and bought from dealer - neither expanded. One coated and I'm mega curious to see how it behaves in the years to come.

3.  Did you coat your tank?  Was it the original tank or was it a new tank?  If new, where did you get it from (i.e. from Ducati or bought it elsewhere)?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
NAKID

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »

If you still have the same bike that was affected by the lawsuit, i.e. a Monster or Multistrada with a plastic tank made of PA6 nylon:

1.  Did you get the frame modification for the tank? Yes

2.  Did you get a replacement tank? Yes Have you noticed changes in the new tank? No

3.  Did you coat your tank? Yes Was it the original tank or was it a new tank? New If new, where did you get it from (i.e. from Ducati or bought it elsewhere)? Warranty Replacement

4.  Do you have the original tank and have had no problems with expansion? No

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
ute

I Have Titanium

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »

2006 s2r

I have 2 tanks ..original which swelled to leaking around fuel flange about 3 years ago , tried to get Ducati to do something about it ..no go , so dealer let tank air out for 6 months and "sealed" the flange area ..... no leaks so far but tank does look like crap.

Second tank , used let it dry out for 2 years and have Caswell'd it , tank is perfect

Plan is when tank one leaks again will replace with good tank
danaid

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »

I sold my 09' 696 which Ducati would nothing about the swollen tank. It had many problems besides the tank. I bought a used 09' 1100S and it has no problems.

11' 1198SP  Black
09' 1100S    Red
09'     696.   Red   first Ducati (sold)
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 05:29:58 AM »

Still have the original tank on my '13 796.  When I bought this from the original owner, it had sat with ethanol-blended fuel in the garage for about a year... the tank had certainly swelled.  I have since switched to non-ethanol fuel and I'm assuming the tank has gone back down... but I won't know for sure until I pull the covers in a few weeks.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 08:08:08 AM »

I replaced my plastic tank with a metal tank, and then had the plastic replaced under warranty. It is still in the box from the factory...

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
lawbreaker

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 06:05:16 PM »

I have a 2006 S2R 1000 and I'm on my 3rd tank which I eventually had coated. Its been about a year since its been coated and so far so good. I should point out that my current tank (pre-lining) was deforming (elongated and weird bubble marks appearing... ) but the tank shrank back to normal after being removed from the bike and then disassembled so it could "dry out" for a few weeks.

Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 08:59:15 PM »

Swapped for a steel tank when the expansion was noticeable. It was a good enough excuse to get the range I wanted.

roggie

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 06:36:48 AM »

so glad you brought this up. Being in Michigan my bike has some downtime and I was considering what my long term plans/options are.

Bought my 07 S4RS in 2012 with 130 miles on it and had the tank replaced immediately by the Ducati dealer because it showed signs of swelling. They also added the expansion bracket. For the first year I was able to source pure gas from a local station but that didn't last long enough.
Since then during riding months i try to only add 1-1.5 gallons at a time thinking that keeping the fuel level down it may not absorb throughout the whole tank (not sure if that makes a difference or not). Then in the winter when its stored for a few months I try to syphon all of the fuel out and leave the cap open for hopes that the tank will shrink back in size.
The tank doesn't "seem" too bad, no leaking and the only swelling I can detect is how it gets close to the ignition housing since the tank is at the most rearward position on the bracket.
I am now considering removing the tank completely, cleaning and have it air out for a few weeks or a month before having the Caswell coating. I'm prepared to have this professionally done because I'd like to keep this bike as long as I can and I'm not confident I would get the coating procedure right on the first shot.
Are there any concerns that this coating will not take since I have now used the tank for years with ethanol gas?

thanks!

1.  Did you get the frame modification for the tank? YES

2.  Did you get a replacement tank? YES Have you noticed changes in the new tank? YES

3.  Did you coat your tank? NO Was it the original tank or was it a new tank? NEW If new, where did you get it from (i.e. from Ducati or bought it elsewhere)? DEALER

4.  Do you have the original tank and have had no problems with expansion? No, replaced and original was sent back to Ducati

OrangeDragon

2007 M695

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 07:31:12 AM »

I am not familiar with the frame modification but when the dealer replaced the original tank they provided different black bumpers/pads that separate the tank and the frame.  The newer bumpers/pads are slotted and adjustable in width in case a tank expands.  The original bumpers would not rest on the frame due to tank expansion.

The original tank expanded.  Ducati replaced the tank with a new tank and bumpers/pads. This second tank was not coated.  Second tank expanded and it was past the time when Ducati would replace tanks. The first tank expanded in width so i couldn't turn handle bars without slapping the tank and could not lock the bike.  Second tank expanded near the ignition area and I couldn't latch the tank down.  Third new tank is described under the next question.

I bought a third tank on eBay. It was brand new/unused and coated it with Caswell almost two and half years ago.  42k miles on this tank and zero expansion to date. The only con to coating is loosing some fuel volume but the trade off is worth it.  I am also considering putting on the original black bumpers/pads because they are smaller than the adjustable ones and look better.

N/A

2007 Monster 695 (153,000+ miles)
TWDucfan

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 05:07:18 PM »

Still have the original tank on my '13 796.  When I bought this from the original owner, it had sat with ethanol-blended fuel in the garage for about a year... the tank had certainly swelled.  I have since switched to non-ethanol fuel and I'm assuming the tank has gone back down... but I won't know for sure until I pull the covers in a few weeks.

This sounds worrisome, among all the gas stations out there who sells non-ethanol fuel?  Shots

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: