Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:02:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2017 CotA ... I want to go!  (Read 10453 times)
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« on: January 21, 2017, 07:44:17 PM »

Been getting the notices about the 2017 CotA and Ducati Island in my email, and I've been given the green light by SWMBO to go!  Problem is... I've never been down there.  For those of you who have... a few questions:

1)  What is the best day to go.  I haven't looked at the schedule of events, which may make it obvious, but any hints would be welcome.

2)  Is Ducati Island all it's cracked up to be?  They have a $220 deal where you get to park by the stands an all that... that looks good, but I don't know.

3)  Is up and back in one day a reasonable expectation?  Or come in the night before to be there early the next day... or drive in early day of, hotel that night?

Any other hints or suggested 'don't miss!' items are welcome.

Thanks, gang!   chug

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 05:57:01 AM »

It may just be me...but regardless of which track, I'd want to be there on race day which is Sunday for motogp.

I'll let others comment on the rest.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

muskrat

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 07:40:07 AM »

parking is great, we parked in Egypt last time and it's a hike and a half to say the least.  As for which day is best I like Saturday for practice rounds and Sunday.  If you don't mind parking far out the general admission is the best value since you have access to all sides and can walk completely around the track with your trusted "carry anywhere" chair.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Mhanis

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 07:11:10 AM »

Jeez, where to start!? As Painter said, Sunday is race day; there are a minimum of 3 races (Moto3, Moto2 and MotoGP {the big one}). If MotoAmerica is there that weekend as well there will be more races.

All of the qualifying is done on Saturday afternoon; practice in the morning and qualifying after that.

Friday is just practice.

If you can swing a Saturday/Sunday weekend I think you'd enjoy it a bit more than just Sunday.

With the exception of parking there isn't much to Ducati Island as far as I can tell. Once you are inside the track anyone can go anywhere so it isn't like you get anything special with the Duc Island pass other than the previously mentioned parking which is fantastic. The Island seating is in the grandstands between turns 15 & 16. I have never bought official Ducati tickets but that is where we have sat too and that is a good spot to sit. The Duc Island parking and "stuff" is behind the grandstands in the grassy area if you look at google maps.

I have never ridden as I have always gone with my family. Starting back the very first year of the race several of us from the board went down for all 3 days and stayed in a Holiday Inn in Elgin which is EAST of the track. That is what my family and I still do except we usually skip Friday practice and drive to Elgin on Friday night after work and get to the track Saturday morning.

Depending on the weather going down and back can be an ass whip if you do it all in one day; traffic is pretty rough, but tons of folks do it Besides that I like my beer so riding is defiantly out for me!!

It is a hell of a blast of a weekend and I strongly recommend going. If you decide to go and you'd like more information I'd be happy to meetup and discuss as that would be much easier than back and forth through the board.

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
greenohawk69

Re:
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 10:08:33 AM »

^ Agree with this comment. The 1 day down and back is a PITA with the traffic. If it's your first time, spend some time and enjoy it.

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
Mhanis

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 11:46:30 AM »

It turns out that I'll NOT be attending the MotoGp race this year after all.  bang head

My daughters senior prom is the night before the race and I have a young man to intimidate. I cannot do that from Austin!

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 09:12:48 PM »

Plans are afoot for The Blonde and I to be attending this event.  chug
I mentioned a while ago that I really wanted to go, and she's been hammering on things to get it to happen.  bow down

Not sure when we'll be arriving, as the methods of getting from SoCal to Austin are still being compared.

Looking for local knowledge on the best place to stay, and best way to get to/from the track for Saturday and Sunday.

And ideas for other things to do in Austin in the non-race times.
Current plan is to have Friday free to explore the local scene.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 05:12:37 AM »

Got my Ducati Island goodie package yesterday!

Oddly enough, my wife pushed me to go all 3 days... she says you might as well go big!  Who am I to argue?  I'm driving down Friday morning and back to Dallas Monday... hopefully that will reduce my traffic woes to a minimum.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 08:37:36 AM »

Got my Ducati Island goodie package yesterday!

Oddly enough, my wife pushed me to go all 3 days... she says you might as well go big!  Who am I to argue?  I'm driving down Friday morning and back to Dallas Monday... hopefully that will reduce my traffic woes to a minimum.
We expect pictures! waytogo

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Raux

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 09:21:27 AM »

I am in. Just looking for a place.
Going solo this year.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »

Ducati Island tickets and hotel reservations procured.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Raux

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 08:35:15 PM »

All there are ducati parties on Friday and Saturday
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 06:05:12 PM »

All there are ducati parties on Friday and Saturday

So does that mean, "All there (is to do of any real interest) are ducati parties on Friday and Saturday?"

I will contend that as far as parties goes, Ducati parties ain't bad…   Cool
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 07:16:27 PM »

Any of y'all local folks going?

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 07:29:15 PM »

I'm going... got my goodies last week!

I'm headed from McKinney Friday morning...

Actually, if anyone has any hints on the best way to get in and out of there, I'm all ears; I'll be coming in from the east (I'm not doing I-35.)

And if anyone knows the watering holes frequented by the Duc crowd...

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: