Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 10:57:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bernard worthy" turn signals?  (Read 7475 times)
greenohawk69

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 06:57:09 AM »

It's a very bright tailight with integrated turn signals. Even at startup, the tailight goes through a lighting sequence. When you brake, it lights up and flashes three times. If in stop and go traffic, the tailight flashes like a regular brake light. This was done IIRC by Bernard so it was not annoying to the drivers behind you. The turn signals are yellow and can be seen well even in the daytime - that is what a couple of friends have said and what I could tell standing behind it. The 490 HSi was pricey, but is worth it to me. Only negative I had was it was not a direct fit on my 97 M900 and had to do some cutting and test fitments with "L" brackets. I forgot what year it was supposed to be a direct fit and no customizing was needed.

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
1BADGT4

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 12:19:08 AM »

Subscribed! popcorn
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 01:22:32 AM »

Heard from Bernard a few days ago  Smiley

He's too busy to do this now and probably will be for a long time, but I will ask him later, maybe anually, to see if the genious lab itch is back  Cool

In the meantime I will use a light with an ok reflector in it and a 23 watt (you'd think it's twice as bright as a 10 watt, but it's not)  1156 BA15S bulb. Those are rated ~4-500 lumens and I've only seen one LED tower with a higher rating, and it was huge. Anyway, the point is the reflector. We'll see.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:06:27 AM by stopintime » Logged

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 08:17:09 AM »

Came up behind a Nine T with a pointy dual LED turn signal that was just as bright as I imagined LEDs could and should be. Much much much more visible than any other I've seen in action.

Since Nine T owners probably are even more brand loyal than most Ducati poseurs, I took a look in the original accessories catalog (which is huge) and found similarly looking ones at ~€40 a piece. Looks quite like the Kellerman Rhombus S Extreme, but that light is twice as expensive (€70).

So, thankfully, motorcycle LEDs are getting there  waytogo (I officially hate that most of them require resistors)

EDIT: price misunderstood at first.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 11:22:33 AM by stopintime » Logged

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 11:15:24 AM »

Got a link to those blinkers?

If they've got your attention on good visibility, function is sorted as I'm concerned.

It's the smartypants ECUs that have dead bulb sensing circuitry that causes the problems.
They then requires resistors to avoid triggering that circuitry with the low current demand of LEDs.
We just need lots and lots of LEDs to get the current up higher!  laughingdp

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2018, 11:29:02 AM »

If I go for LEDs, I might do the fast blinking delete "snip" in the cluster.

Besides the Multi and HM SP hand guard turn signals - which are very visible, I've never seen anything close to what I saw today. I was just ~10 meters behind, but when he turned I stopped and followed the light down the street. Daylight. Stupid that I didn't follow and ask., but I felt sure it had to be OEM.

https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/genuine-spare-parts/bmw-spare-parts?itemid=63138522499
The part number is more important than this particular shop.

EDIT: today is edit day...  I'm not sure these are the same as I saw.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:12:21 PM by stopintime » Logged

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2018, 07:52:24 PM »

Those look like nice units.

One thing that strikes me as very nice, the wires are decent sized, appropriate on a moto.

So much LED stuff has wire appropriate for drones or desktop games or the like, no ruggedness at all.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 04:53:54 AM »

I'll try the standard and nicer looking (?) ones first - video upcoming. Next is blowing the first Rizoma signal I can film out of the water - daylight competition, not 3 feet away in a dark garage.

If that doesn't satisfy me, I'll go with the BMW signals - even though their shape is wrong for a Monster (?)

Dolph

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2018, 07:04:57 AM »

I'm hoping that BMW is following the sensible approach of having an outside company manufacture the turn signals.

This may provide us with the path to *their* door, where we may find other signals more suited to a Monster.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2018, 07:48:39 AM »

I'm hoping that BMW is following the sensible approach of having an outside company manufacture the turn signals.

This may provide us with the path to *their* door, where we may find other signals more suited to a Monster.

I will ask a local BMW dealer - hopefully they have one I can look at and confirm what I saw. Maybe they know who makes them. Kellerman is the closest I can find so far.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 08:31:36 AM »

This manufacturer (bragging about their 1,000 lumens lights)(compared to ~400 from an incandescent bulb). Looks marginally better to my eye....

Another example: Clearly better than an average LED

, but none of these count - video in bright daylight at least 100 feet away, thanks!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:34:16 AM by stopintime » Logged

Derekv

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 03:42:18 PM »

I have the Vizi-Tec tail light.  Is is very, very good.  Added the m blaze turn signals from moto-gadget. Low profile and very bright.  Adds visibility from a wider angle.  Very happy with this set up.

Derek V

2005 S4R
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 08:59:45 AM »

Call off the search  applause

I visited a dealer today. Many of the bikes there had these lights and they demonstrated them for me.

These BMW turn signals are it! Some LED turn signals are bright only up close, some not even then, but these are the best. Maybe Kellerman can match them, but I have not seen Kellemans in action. Best because they are the most powerful LED and because they have a very well designed spreading lens.

I hope Bernard can develop a similar turn signal, but now the reason is just cosmetic. The BMW light is borderline ugly - medium long and slowly tapering / pointy. The designer (?) should be fired and/or get a good beating.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:51:40 AM by stopintime » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: