Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 08:54:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bernard worthy" turn signals?  (Read 7411 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: December 23, 2016, 05:08:21 PM »

Some of us are rocking the HSi tail light from Vizi-Tec, but I just can't find turn signals that matches the visibility.

The HSi Integrated turn signals are ok, but I had mine switched off because I think turn signals should be positioned a certain distance from the tail light to do their job.  

Rizoma, Motogadget and similar products are bright enough two feet away, but drown at any distance and especially at day time. Compared to those I really think we're better off with bulbs in good reflector housings. LED towers won't fit in small turn signal housings and aren't working well enough anyway..

The bicycle people have some great flashing tail lights - multiple 3 watt Cree (?) LEDs - but none (?) of the motorcycle aftermarket businesses have caught up. Weird.

The ONLY good LED turn signal I have seen are actually the front multiple LEDs in reflectors (?) in the hand guards on the HyperMotard 939 SP (and possibly on the MS1200) Those are GREAT.

So, have you seen or heard of something that could match my expectations?

(I emailed Bernard to see if he's interested in inventing something spectacular again)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 05:10:16 PM by stopintime » Logged

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 06:16:57 PM »

Subscribed!

popcorn

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Pinion

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 05:41:24 AM »

interesting, will be watching as well  coffee

Will trade toilet paper for parts
greenohawk69

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 02:34:37 PM »

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_lights.htm#LED Turn Signals

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 05:05:07 PM »

Couple of examples of what is out there at reasonable prices. Light (!) years ahead of anything I've seen marketed for motorcycles.

The MagicShine MJ-818 is bright enough and is powered by an external battery box - which might mean that the bike turn signal leads can be used to power it on/off - unless it has a warm up period/sequence/??  Draw back is the look of it and that  it has a narrow beam spread/angle...

Then there's the out-of-stock DesignShine DS 500 which looks half finished, but is Bernard bright and then some

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 03:49:31 AM »

http://www.hyperlites.com/turn.html

I have their tail/brake set up along with my stock tail lamp. 
Heath

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 09:53:23 AM »

I love my Oberon bar end signals.  All their signals are double sided too. They are very visible during the day. At night they light up the whole lane next to me when they go off. Even if they are in my blind spot they know my signal is on.
I have a cheap integrated on back with a smoked lens.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 11:37:19 AM by Heath » Logged

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
greenohawk69

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 06:02:56 AM »

I love my Oberon bar end signals.  All their signals are double sided too. They are very visible during the day. At night they light up the while lane next to me when they go off. Even if they are in my blind spot they know my signal is on.
I have a cheap integrated on back with a smoked lens.
Second this on the Oberon's.

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
d3vi@nt

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 04:56:10 PM »

Paul Geller of (former) Ducati Designs had plug-n-play LED boards that fit into the ST-series rear signal housing. They were very bright and fairly straightforward as far as construction. Of course, they are unobtanium now.

I agree that it's odd. Though it seems the design goal is to make them as unobtrusive as possible so as not to detract from aesthetics. Visibility be damned.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 06:02:46 PM »

Heard back from Bernard today  waytogo

He has some ideas and sounded like he's interested  coffee maybe in a year (?) or ten (?)

As you would expect from him - it's going to outshine ALL else  chug

LED: yeah the key is to have the reflectors in addition to the powerful LEDs. .................. tech info deleted.......................
It will be a miniature BAT LIGHT.(search lights). That's the way to do this shit!

Duck-EZ

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 04:22:24 PM »

Cool now we can quote him on the "Bat Light"! laughingdp

2006 Black N Tangy S2RS
Nibor

insanity far outweighs horsepower

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 02:06:38 PM »

Where do I sign up?! bow down
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 02:22:54 PM »

Where do I sign up?! bow down

Anywhere below me on the list  Cool

When he launched the first Monster tail light, the SupaNova with 490 individual LEDs, there was a demand, but I think much less than the buzz indicated.

Then there was the outstanding HSi "airport landing light" which he had to detune to, I think, 15-20% of available capacity. The first run had a cooling fan. Demand... not as high.

Most people will continue buying Rizoma or cheap copies, but turn signals can be sold to a much much larger group since it's not Monster, or even Ducati, specific.

popcorn

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 03:02:35 PM »

~~~SNIP~~~

HSi "airport landing light"

~~~SNIP~~~

Tell me more!

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »

Can't remember who, but a DMF'er tested the first version and a part of his colorful review was the "planes will land on you" comment. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: