Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 06:33:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When to flash ECU and is it mandatory?  (Read 8540 times)
mister704

« on: December 16, 2016, 04:23:20 PM »

So I received my new exhaust today. Spark Dual High Mount for my 2012 Evo and I am trying to understand if flashing the ECU is required.

What are the pro/cons of doing and/or not doing the flash? I know for instance on my past bike given no Powercommander was made for it at the time, we had a couple of items that we could purchase to ensure we had the right air/fuel ratio.

Given I am not replacing the stock with a short style exhaust, is this still a necessary step I need to take. I am trying to do all things upfront to ensure the longevity of the bike given it only has 800 miles on it.

And and all information is appreciated. I am new ducati owner so I definitely don't know all the ins and outs.
chipripper
El Borracho mas grandisimo

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »

Without knowing much about the newer bikes, I say not mandatory for just cans, if your eliminating a catalytic converter it is probably a good idea. If you also get an open airbox lid, do it for sure. Try to find someone who has a flash for your setup, instead of the generic DP flash. My S2R benefited greatly from dialing in the fueling. Much smoother low end, slightly worse MPG. HTH

2008 S2R1000 black and white, mostly stock ;-)
Marving header, Velocity stacks, Pod filters, Flashed ECU to DP map, Polished valve covers and cam covers, SSR reverse shifter and inspection cover, Aelle adjustable pegs, Windscreen and cowl removal, Many plastic bits removed, Cut beer tray
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 04:03:23 AM »

That is well put in a nutshell.
The closed loop mods thread is an excellent read to explore tuning options and their implications.

Some say that even a completely stock bike is greatly improved with a reflash or PCV and dyno tune. You may be lucky and use a map from the Rexxer or Powecommander repository that is close enough. I wasn't and needed dyno tune, but my brother found a map that worked very well.

2015 Scrambler 800
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 06:22:33 AM »

The info given says "not replacing the stock with a short style exhaust", but, doesn't state much more info either, I would say to "ride it for a while" and if "you feel the bike is off", then contact one of our sponsors like Motowheels and talk to them about a Rexxer reflash and then add a performance air filter that has a few advantages on top of being a free-er flowing  part, is it washable/cleanable and does not need replacement . . . Also, if you DO NOT replace your OEM "headers" you can just have a map set up for "eliminating" the O2 sensors . . .

A miriad of stuff can be done, but, assuming you have these on, same for 696/796/1100, and NO other mod on bike, it's a Plug N Play issue, take old OEM off and install new ones

Remembe, ONLY if you replace OEM air filter with a performance one, like this one, THEN, a reflash is recommended, ALTHOUGH, not mandatory, BUT HIGHLY recommended and suggested

Hoping this has given you more clarity than the coffee, enjoy your bike and Happy Holidays

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 07:06:22 AM »

Remembe, ONLY if you replace OEM air filter with a performance one, like this one, THEN, a reflash is recommended, ALTHOUGH, not mandatory, BUT HIGHLY recommended and suggested

You don't think there is a benefit even on a stock setup?  My 796 is still stock (for now...) and needs some help... running lean, backfiring through the carbs, no low end.  I don't see how a remap couldn't hurt...

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 07:54:59 AM »

You don't think there is a benefit even on a stock setup?  My 796 is still stock (for now...) and needs some help... running lean, backfiring through the carbs, no low end.  I don't see how a remap couldn't hurt...
With stock setup for USA bikes do run lean . . . a remap IMHO is more beneficial if/when intake and exhaust are modified, that is, as said, IMHO and FHE; at least with older MM IAW ECUs, trim could be reset, VDO-Continental[Siemens] ECUs, need to be reflashed or the DP Kit purchased . . .

In your case, usually it would be the vertical cylinder that is running lean, a little trick that I know can "remedy" the popping

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
mister704

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 12:32:44 PM »

Thanks all for the information. Yes I have the dual high mount exhaust which is basically slip right on...so with that I assume I am good to go for now.

Knowing me, I will have a PC and dyno completed before the real riding season but for now...I have to order that stupid Spark fender eliminator because my Motodynamics wont work with it. Terrible...
mister704

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 05:05:40 AM »

Alright,  update. Finally have new exhaust installed and took her for a 10min ride.  I'm definitely popping on deceleration but not that much. I rather be safe than sorry on running lean given the bike is basically new.

So my order of action is what?

1. ECU flash (motowheels)  -- I would of had them do this if they actually had the exhaust in stock when I ordered it.  This appears to be my cheapest option.

2. Install Bazzaz or PC...because from my reading they cannot do anything with the rpms under 4500 so a ecu flash is still necessary.

So my last question is does the ecu flash also fix the o2 sensors?  I'm asking these questions because I have never really did this to any of my bikes so this is a new arena for me. I've never been big on power commanders and etc. I just want to fix my lean issue. I don't care about hp increase and dyno. The ltitle extra hp...doesn't really impress me.

Pic of my Spark High Mount exhaust on 2012 1100 Evo

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »

When ordering your reflash you complete a form which has options like eliminating the O2 sensors, general style of exhaust, etc. Give 'em a call.

2015 Scrambler 800
mister704

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 12:00:48 PM »

When ordering your reflash you complete a form which has options like eliminating the O2 sensors, general style of exhaust, etc. Give 'em a call.
Thanks for the info. I will give them a call on Monday.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

greyskull

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 06:03:34 PM »

There's another option... you could install a boosterplug kit. It's a cheaper alternative to an ECU reflash and PCV. I have one on my M800 and it noticeably improved the lean running and exhaust popping on deceleration.
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 08:16:59 PM »

Or... disregard popping on decel.

Do a some plug chops at various throttle and RPM positions. If it comes out white-ish or light brown at relatively hoon-ish pace, get a re-flash.

The EPA specs call for emissions controls and checks below 4500 RPM for motorcycles. You can always just stay above that...  Evil

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 09:48:26 AM »

How did it go? popcorn

2015 Scrambler 800
mister704

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 09:22:33 AM »

I havent had it done yet.

I am waiting on my MWR parts. The power up kit was on backorder ...once I get it, I will be taking it to have the work done.
mister704

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 03:33:07 PM »

How did it go? popcorn

Update....sent off ecu about a hr ago to redline performance in here in VA. Given motowheels is one of their vendors, I decided to send it straight to THE MAN who gets all the maps first the pushes it out.

Also installed the MWR air filter and power up kit.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: