Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 02:50:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waste of money .....  (Read 48853 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2020, 12:33:31 AM »

I'll be watching closely, because I really enjoy your projects.  chug

2015 Scrambler 800
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2020, 08:40:33 AM »

Cranking pressure at full throttle...correct?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

MonsterHPD

« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2020, 01:07:57 PM »

I'm happy if my dabbling in various aspects of modiifications are of interest, I just hope the final results will not be too embarassing to me. Whatever the result, some lesson will be learnt :-)

And yes, at full throttle. I'll do some alternate testing just to check if I'm on the right page or not. The numbers are slightly strange to me, too.

Monster 900-2002 (sold, alive and well in the UK), 749R / 1100 HYM combo for track days, wifes / my Monster Dark 800-2003 (not entirely "Dark" anymore and a personal favourite) , 50% of 900SSie -2000 track bike for rainy days-now with tuned ST2 motor and Microtec ECU. Also parked due to having been T-boned on track.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2020, 01:09:09 PM »

Are they new rings?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

MonsterHPD

« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2020, 06:32:38 AM »

Are they new rings?

Oops, misssed this question.

No, no new rings or anything.

I´ll try another gauge that I have borrowed, to eliminate instrument issues. 

Monster 900-2002 (sold, alive and well in the UK), 749R / 1100 HYM combo for track days, wifes / my Monster Dark 800-2003 (not entirely "Dark" anymore and a personal favourite) , 50% of 900SSie -2000 track bike for rainy days-now with tuned ST2 motor and Microtec ECU. Also parked due to having been T-boned on track.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2020, 11:50:22 AM »

The comp tools I've seen and used require cranking the motor until the gauge needle no longer moves in order to get a true reading rather than a set number. Maybe your homemade tool needs more time to pressurize?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:55:02 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
MonsterHPD

« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2020, 12:03:26 PM »

The comp tools I've seen and used require cranking the motor until the gauge needle no longer moves in order to get a true reading rather than a set number. Maybe your homemade tool needs more time to pressurize?

That´s the way I do it. The gauge is a standard cranking pressure gage, I´ve just made an adapter for reaching down to the spark plug hole.

I hope to have some minutes running on the motor over the weekend, will test again if all is well after that.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2020, 01:00:55 PM »

You are testing with the throttle open?  Warm engine?  Hot cams will lower numbers at cranking speed too.
MonsterHPD

« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2020, 01:22:10 PM »

You are testing with the throttle open?  Warm engine?  Hot cams will lower numbers at cranking speed too.

Throttle fully open, cold motor (so far). Not sure what is the best, hot or cold motor, but cold is at least easier to keep rougly constant conditions.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2020, 04:19:54 PM »

+1
Yes, temp will effect the numbers. Warm motor for sure.

2015 Scrambler 800
MonsterHPD

« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2020, 04:10:03 AM »

The weather has been nice but quite cool here in Sweden, and I have managed a a few short test rides, maybe 30 or so km each.

Before venturing far from home, I made two shorter trips around the where I live, maybe 1.5 km each, and stopped to check that evrything was working and OK. Inspite of this, the first test ride could have ended in tears; as I pulled up in front of the garage again I felt the smell of burnt oil, and getting off the bike I saw the entire right side of bike and rear tire smeared with oil. The most likely source seemed to be the oil cooler hoses / connections. When I assembled them, I noticed one of the small O-rings was missing, so I took one from another hose I had lying around. Probably not a good idea …. I got some new ones and changed them all, and noticed that the old ones were pretty brittle, and one was kaputt again.  30 km test ride today and no further leaks, so I assume that was the problem.
So my practice from now on, and advice to anyone, will be new O-rings on any oil cooler connection that has been taken apart for the first time in a long time. Also some care is necessary whn pushing the male hose connector into the female connector on the motor, as it is easy to dislodge / cut the O-rings.

Anyway, the test rides so far seem positive, the motor is running very nicely, pulling well from low or high revs with no hick-ups or such. I can´t tell if it´s any stronger, the first rides of the year will make any bike feel like a rocketship, but impressions so far are very positive. However, I need a trackday so I can load the motor at full throttle in at least 4th gear in order to say much, and I need a session on the dyno to know for sure.

The clutch is also working well, but with one slightly odd feature: The clutch bottoms out before the clutch lever does, so to speak, but there are no clonks engaging first gear, and finding neutral also works, but it does feel a bit odd at a stoplight whit the clutch pulled and the bike in gear. I suppose I will have to check on that, eventually.
Cranking pressures remain in the same region, and another gauge I borrowed showed similiar values, so it´s not the gauges. I´ll test both cranking pressures and do leak-down tests when I have some more running time on the motor.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2020, 07:24:05 AM »

Did you shim the springs on the clutch?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
MonsterHPD

« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2020, 08:29:15 AM »

Did you shim the springs on the clutch?

No.

Maybe the 70 springs I used (3 pcs) differ more than I thought.

To be further investigated.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2020, 11:06:01 AM »

Or the slave cylinder is bottoming out; pushrod too short/stack too thick
('too' meaning too much for the hydraulic system, stack may perfectly well need to be what it is)

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
MonsterHPD

« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2020, 11:55:48 AM »

Or the slave cylinder is bottoming out; pushrod too short/stack too thick
('too' meaning too much for the hydraulic system, stack may perfectly well need to be what it is)

Yes, you´re right. Slave and pushrod are the same, but with the different clutch, maybe something is not stacking up quite the same. I will investigate, eventually. Also check the stack to make sure (if) I got that right.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: