Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 03:59:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arkansas - Where Texans go to crash  (Read 18098 times)
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« on: November 12, 2016, 10:55:45 AM »

As some of you may already know, on a four-day group ride through Arkansas I crashed exiting a left hand corner.  Went wide and off into the gravel "shoulder" at roughly 45 mph; momentary loss of concentration thinking I'd already made the corner and was setting myself up for the next immediate bend.

I have an 11" rod, plates and screws in my left leg tibia (broken in three places).  Broken fibula.  Torn, completely demolished ACL on my left knee that will require reconstructive surgeries over the next several months.  Two compression fractures of the t5 and t6 vertebrae (no surgery necessary). Broken middle finger and index finger, left hand.  Concussion with brain bleed swelling so it's actually classified as a stroke.  

The crash happened on Sunday morning and I was in the hospital in Little Rock for three days.  Back home now recuperating.  Follow-up exam on the tibia in ten days.  I'm using a walker to get around, although 80% of the time I'm in a recliner with a pillow under my left leg, which really does suck.

I was wearing all of my gear - Dainese racing leathers, AGV Corsa helmet (destroyed); gauntlet racing gloves, and AlpineStars racing boots.  With the exception of the helmet, the rest of my gear is remarkably intact.  No real damage what so ever.  Unfortunately, as is common practice in an ER, my leathers were cut off.

Anyway, all of this to say All the Gear All the Time, crashing sucks, CareFlight rides are the bee's knees, there are not enough meds in the world for a smashed ACL, and hats off to the trauma team in Little Rock.

As far as the 999R is concerned, it will more than likely be totaled.  Most of the carbon fiber bodywork has been demolished.  The rest of the bike is relatively O.K. The claims adjuster comes on Monday so I'll know more about it then.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:00:08 AM by Cher » Logged
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 05:31:41 PM »

All of the above sucks, except two things.

First, you're alive to tell us.

Second, you mentioned no head injuries. I guess that destroyed AGV helmet did it's job.

I have a GP Tech that's shattered in the back, and I never even saw stars.

Hope you heal up completely, Lisa.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

zach (Slag)

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »

Dammit Lisa! Awful news. Heal quickly  chug
Arkansas does seem to get the best of us. I haven't been since 2008 or 2009. No crashes, but fastwin cut himself very badly on a license plate. Luckily we had CDC there to patch him up.

Mhanis

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 07:21:13 AM »

Holy cow Lisa!! I am glad you are ok enough to tell us about it. I hope you heal up quickly!!

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 01:15:53 PM »

Very sorry to hear. Glad your gear worked well to lessen the bad stuff. Heal up brave lady.

When I was recovering from a crash I did a lot of medium and long term planning I normally wouldnt have had time for.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 02:10:55 PM »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.  But what a long strange trip its been  bang head  Meds seem to be able to cover 95% of the pain from the injuries so that's a plus. Started sleeping well last night.  Bruising is lessing as is the swelling (knee was the size of a football) but mobility is still a real PITA.  

Looks like my mandatory two week surgery follow-up will have to be with the attending physician in Little Rock since no doctor locally wants to be responsible for another doctor's work.  So, a five hour trip will be in my future sometime next week.  Not sure if they'll put a cast on the leg then or not - it's just been compression bandages so far, no cast.  

Once the broken leg has healed, the knee and ankle ligament damage can be operated on.  No time frame on that yet.  

At any rate, that was my last ride.  I've had three significant concussions over the last ten years and I really don't want to take any more chances so I'm looking for a new hobby - stamp collecting looks promising  Shots  Of course, I'm open to suggestions…  Grin
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:27:38 PM by Cher » Logged
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 02:40:48 PM »

Very sorry to hear that Cher. That's a real tough decision. Just discussed this with my wife and we are thinking of you.

I have found gym work to give a good rush similar to riding motorcycles. Lots of endorphine pump there. Dance like Latin or even Burlesque gives a good rush (or so one of my kids tell me). Gotta get your hit somewhere. Martial arts does too but I guess that's out.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 02:43:04 PM »

You'll be like Barry Sheene going through airports. Grin

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 03:46:56 PM »

Very sorry to hear that Cher. That's a real tough decision. Just discussed this with my wife and we are thinking of you.

I have found gym work to give a good rush similar to riding motorcycles. Lots of endorphine pump there. Dance like Latin or even Burlesque gives a good rush (or so one of my kids tell me). Gotta get your hit somewhere. Martial arts does too but I guess that's out.

Good points.  I am/was a gym junkie.  I have a trainer who has worked with me now for two years.  She's awesome and I know she'll be the first one to push me through P.T. which I expect to be no fun at all  Lips Sealed  Just the way it goes.
muskrat

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 08:39:41 PM »

I'm very glad to have heard your voice yesterday and most importantly there's a positive attitude in your voice.  I do hope the guys at Ortho will take you and your recovery will be swift.  My offer stands so let me know what I can do this week.  This is the first week I'm not flying....well, until Friday anyway.  I'll gladly be a delivery service for anything you need.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 09:04:23 PM »

Good points.  I am/was a gym junkie.  I have a trainer who has worked with me now for two years.  She's awesome and I know she'll be the first one to push me through P.T. which I expect to be no fun at all  Lips Sealed  Just the way it goes.

waytogo Your history of training will mean that you will have a better recovery than those who havent. Take care.  Smiley

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 05:27:27 AM »

Sorry to hear of your mishap... Sad  I camp up in NW Arkansas quite a bit, traveling up HWY 7 and the area around Jasper... motorcycle accidents are, unfortunately, almost commonplace up there.  Glad you came out in at least one piece!

Martial arts does too but I guess that's out.

Not necessarily.  I have a very bad back (among other things...) and I train in TaeKwon-Do.  A good instructor will allow you to work around physical limitations, and it can be another avenue to physical recovery.  TaeKwon-Do changed my life, swear to God.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 06:09:37 AM »

Sad

Lisa--hoping for your speedy recovery!
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 03:18:08 PM »

Thanks everyone for the well wishes, I really appreciate it.

And just a breif update:  If you ever need a 999 crashed, just give it to me  bang head  It will be toast, guaranteed. Progressive Insurance totaled the bike and wrote us a check for $11,775.00 this afternoon.  (Their cut-off for totaling the motorcycle was $7,700.00)

Here's the run down of the "big stuff":

$4,600 -  1 (one) Carbon fiber left-hand side bodywork
$2,800 -  Carbon fiber front fairing with windshield
$2,500 -  Bent swing arm
$2,300 -  Repair the original tank (not replace)

So you can see it doesn't take much to total a 999R.  It makes me so sad because it was an awesome  bike  Cry

Also I finally have my follow-up exam for the broken bones.  It will, unfortunately, be in Little Rock on Wednesday.  Once that's signed-off on,  I'll be talking with the folks at OrthoTexas for the ACL/ligament surgery.  Big fun!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 03:38:12 PM by Cher » Logged
Blackout

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 07:04:18 PM »

get well and then get another 999

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: