Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 01:45:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clutch Lost Pressure with Engine Overheat  (Read 1710 times)
Goat_Herder

« on: August 19, 2016, 07:25:24 PM »

'07 S2R1000.  I got stuck on Friday evening traffic with brush fire going on next to the freeway.  The ambient temperature was 95 and I was just creeping along.  When the engine temp reached 280, I started notice the clutch started to act funny - the clutch pull got a little lighter and then the contact point became inconsistent.  When the engine temp reached 290, the clutch pull got really out of whack.  I then pulled over to the shoulder.  All of the sudden, the clutch lever lost all pressure.  I would pull on the lever and it would have no resistance at all.  I thought I was in big doodoo.

I started looking on my phone to see if my wife or a friend can come get me.  Went back to check on the clutch and felt a little pressure.  I thought if I waited a bit longer, the clutch would come back to live?  10 minutes later, engine temp came back down to 270.  Got on the bike and creeped past a congested spot.  Once I got going a bit faster (25mph), the air flow was enough to keep the engine temp in check.  5 minutes later, I going up to 60 mph and the engine temp came down to 250.  It ran like nothing had happened.

So the question - what caused it and was that normal? Was there a shut off valve in the clutch system?  Was the bike on the verge of exploding and I barely escaped death?!?!

Goat Herder (Tony)
2003 Ducati Monster 620 - Yellow SOLD
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000 - Black KILLED
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000 - Red
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 08:10:33 PM »

The answer to your questions is 'no'.

When was the last time the clutch fluid was flushed and system bled?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 09:39:12 PM »

Use DOT4 or 5.1.  The fluid simply overheated.  You should also change the fluid annually.
Goat_Herder

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »

When was the last time the clutch fluid was flushed and system bled?

It had been a few years since the clutch fluid was changed/flushed.  Sounds like that the cause for loss of pressure and not something major with he clutch assembly or the engine.

I am planning on changing the oil in the fall, before shutting it down for the winter.  I will add clutch oil replacement to the to-do list.

Goat Herder (Tony)
2003 Ducati Monster 620 - Yellow SOLD
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000 - Black KILLED
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000 - Red
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 03:26:42 AM »

Probably should do the brakes at the same time.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Jruwducati

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 10:43:11 PM »

Did your clutch return to normal function once it cooled down? I had something very similar happen.
JonS2R

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 05:41:29 AM »

I had something similar happen during the summer right after I changed levers. There's a plunger thing that screws into the clutch lever that fits into the master cylinder to actuate it. Turns out I didn't screw it into the lever enough. I'm not sure if that helps in your case though but just thought I'd add some input.

2007 S2R 1000
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: