Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 14, 2024, 06:49:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simultaneous rear brake and engine issue?  (Read 1104 times)
OrangeDragon

2007 M695

« on: August 12, 2016, 06:01:37 PM »

Just passed 104k miles on my 2007 M695.  I bought her used with 3400 miles so I can't say I put all of the miles on her. 

She rides better than the day I bought her.  Only recently have I had a weird problem occur two times.....

In both instances I was only a few miles into my ride.  I do all pre-ride checks:  brakes, tires, signals, lights etc

Anyway, at point into the ride it feels like the power is suddenly cut or the bike is running on one cylinder.   Then I go to brake to get to the side of the freeway and the rear brake has zero pressure so I am only able to stop with the front brake.   I then turned off the bike and pumped the rear brake to get the pressure back.  Restart bike and it's fine.

Is the loss of rear brake pressure cutting power to the engine as some sort of warning?

2007 Monster 695 (153,000+ miles)
NAKID

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 06:12:30 PM »

Just passed 104k miles on my 2007 M695.  I bought her used with 3400 miles so I can't say I put all of the miles on her. 

She rides better than the day I bought her.  Only recently have I had a weird problem occur two times.....

In both instances I was only a few miles into my ride.  I do all pre-ride checks:  brakes, tires, signals, lights etc

Anyway, at point into the ride it feels like the power is suddenly cut or the bike is running on one cylinder.   Then I go to brake to get to the side of the freeway and the rear brake has zero pressure so I am only able to stop with the front brake.   I then turned off the bike and pumped the rear brake to get the pressure back.  Restart bike and it's fine.

Is the loss of rear brake pressure cutting power to the engine as some sort of warning?

Is that an ABS bike?

There's no power booster on it so brake pressure should have nothing to do with the engine.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
OrangeDragon

2007 M695

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 06:56:56 PM »

Is that an ABS bike?

There's no power booster on it so brake pressure should have nothing to do with the engine.

No ABS on the bike. 

I agree that the brake pressure(or loss of) should have nothing to do with how the engine performs.  But both times it happened the exact same way, so I was curious if some kind of sensor tripped the engine to perform that way.  It doesn't make any sense to me. 

2007 Monster 695 (153,000+ miles)
WTSDS

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 04:46:37 AM »

If it happens again check to see if the rear brake caliper and rotor is HOT

Had a problem with rear brake awhile back. Some gunk got in around the piston and caused the pads to stick. Lost power and found the rear was scorching hot. A good washout with soapy water solved the problem.

2000 Monster Dark 900 ie   Stock except for low Staintunes and a centrestand. 15:39 sprockets make for excellent highway gearing
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 03:12:16 AM »

If it happens again check to see if the rear brake caliper and rotor is HOT

Had a problem with rear brake awhile back. Some gunk got in around the piston and caused the pads to stick. Lost power and found the rear was scorching hot. A good washout with soapy water solved the problem.

Yep, since the brake pressure returns after a rest it sounds like fade.  The engine problem is more difficult.  Start with checking for spark when the problem happens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: