Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 05:06:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metro area ownership  (Read 4384 times)
1.21GW

bikeless

« on: February 02, 2016, 01:50:30 PM »

I live in NYC but will be moving (more accurately, homeless) this summer when I go on my Americas ride.  The question I have is what is the best option for registering my bike.  I have family in NJ and CT and close enough friends in NY that I can use any for my residency. 

Which state has the lowest relative insurance?  Which has the least burdensome registration rules?  Lowest fees?  My Duc will be mothballed so really we are only talking about registering my DR650.  If any of this matters, the bikes are currently registered in NY.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 02:28:23 PM »

Generally Brooklyn has the highest rates in the City.  NJ has few choices.  In NYC rates can vary by an unbelievable amount from company to company, like a whole decimal place.  If you insure both bikes with the same company you should expect a discount.  Do make sure your insurance is good outside the US.  I suggest calling these folks for advice.  http://www.motorcycleexpress.com
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:51:10 PM »

it really depends on who you are, what may apply to one person may not particularly apply to another.

I have quoted in brooklyn and manhattan. No difference. My yearly $100 deductible insurance for my Ducati is sub $300. But that includes 3 other bikes. Understandably, if you want to lower your rate as much as possible to save $$, your best bet is CT IMHO. 

You dont need to be a resident of CT to register a bike there (actually, cat got my tougne, my buddy is a NYS resident and got his CAR registered in CT with his wifes dads address and a piece of mail, it may not apply for a bike). His car rate is more than 75% less than mine. Our bike rates are within 25% of each others. Both have 0 points as far as Im aware.

There are some countries in S. America that will require you to buy insurance when you bring the bike in IIRC. And theres no real way to verify honestly....you could carry around a bogus insurance and no one would ever check. I wouldn't do that inside the states though. I found out the hard way that no insurnace is worst than drunk driving in terms of punishment, in NYS its 1 year suspension and $1700 fine, where drunk driving is 3 month suspension and only $1200 fine. Tongue ( not me but my buddy!)

You need to come over and do some tire changing man! Smiley

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 05:30:18 PM »

No insurance required here...

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 06:13:02 PM »

Thanks all.  Yeah, I'm no so worried about insurance long term, just for the 2-3 months before I end up in Mexico.  General knowledge from the ADV community is to buy country-specific insurance at each border.

What is registration policy of each state?  I'll inevitably be abroad when my registration expires.  I don't care that much since I doubt la policia will care or even notice in Chile, Peru, etc.  But it would be nice if I either registration lasted 2 years or I could renew it by mail without an inspection.  I know some states require annual inspections, some don't.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 06:14:42 PM »

You need to come over and do some tire changing man! Smiley

I'm ice climbing in NH this weekend but anytime after Sunday I'm free. 

thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 07:34:08 PM »

In NJ, Rider insurance is a pretty cheap option and NJ did away with inspections for motorcycles. As for registration, it's a yearly renewal that you can mail in and again, there is no inspection so that's basically all you need to do.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 07:44:57 PM »

In NJ, Rider insurance is a pretty cheap option and NJ did away with inspections for motorcycles. As for registration, it's a yearly renewal that you can mail in and again, there is no inspection so that's basically all you need to do.

You had me at "no inspections".  NJ it is then!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:22:51 AM by 1.21GW » Logged

thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 07:02:46 AM »

We had me at "no inspections".  NJ it is then!

Yeah, it's awesome. One less thing to worry about per year especially since the old inspection required you to have a certain amount of your helmet be reflective... had to put on that 3m tape onto your helmet every year.

What also was annoying was that I was stopped a couple of times the first year it started because I didn't have a current inspection sticker. They then had to go and confirm that there was not inspections in NJ before they let me go.

As for insurance, for basic collision, I've had quotes of $100 per year through Progressive and Rider for my old SV650. Your DR shouldnt be that much more than that if you want the peace of mind.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: