Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 02:46:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone in sydney familiar with valve shims ?  (Read 7108 times)
insydney

« on: December 26, 2015, 06:45:03 PM »

i'm about to do my shims for the first time. s2r 800 2v
 ok it looks fairly straight forward BUT advice from someone thats been there before would be handy with my preparation...
cheers
btw i'm in the inner west
fingers crossed

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 04:28:17 AM »

Sydney is sulking.  And since valve shims are the same the world over you might get more speedy response by asking here...

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?www;board=4

And there's this...

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/configurators/valveshimcalculator.xls

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
TitanMonsterS4R

Yup, it's supposed to sound like that....

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 12:28:18 PM »

Welcome to the forum. PM Betty or Andy55 if you need specific advice. Andy has an S2R1000 and Betty (he's a guy) owns a S2R800 like yours.

I'm of no use since i have  4v S4R. If you're around and want to ride or grab a bite or a pint PM. Live in the upper east if thats what Darlinghurst is called....

06 Monster S4R - Red/Black Final Edition
insydney

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 05:19:38 PM »

cheers titan' many thanks for the info'
i have only just moved from paddington, i used to live on glenmore rd, so i know that area really well, probably have even noticed you around  Smiley
Andy55

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 09:33:11 PM »

Hi Insydney

I have not replied as even though I have had most of the bike apart , adjusting valve lash is not something I've done so I cant offer any advise to you.
As Titan mentioned , if you are ever up for a ride....

Cheers.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:05:27 AM by ungeheuer » Logged
insydney

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 11:43:33 PM »

thanks for responding andy...
pity that the Q was worth asking. a well respected dealership quoted me $600 which i thought was way OTT for a 2V engine.
apart from that i always like to do things myself wherever possible.  this job is unknown territory for me so i was hoping to get some advice from someone not a million miles away just in case i got out of my depth.
anyway i'll go shopping for some of the things req'd micrometer, measuring tool and shims etc
just wasn't sre with the latter item wha sizes to go for to have some on hand ready for the fun to start.

Q to anyne reading this:
due to the massive range of potential shims req'd,  is it adviseable to pull it open, measure first, whack it back together and then order the shims for the job job, then do it all over again to replace them ?
cheers in anticipation

@ ungeheuer...   wtf do you mean by sydney is sulking ?
Andy55

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 12:55:30 AM »

I guess you have to weigh up weather its worth the effort of pulling it apart twice if you measure up and then order the shim sizes you think you need from overseas.
Then hope the ones you fit give you the required clearances.

Just out of interest have you contacted people like Gowanlochs or D-moto etc who may be able to supply the shim thicknesses you need?
If you source them locally no doubt they will be more expensive but at least it may be able to be done start to finish in a few days with only one tear down / rebuild?

I know that's not really any help , but just some thoughts.
I can lend a hand if you want.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:00:56 AM by Andy55 » Logged
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 02:32:26 AM »

@ ungeheuer...   wtf do you mean by sydney is sulking ?
wtf I mean.... is that whilst the majority of long time Sydney members continue to lurk, they no longer contribute.  Hence my suggestion that you seek your tech help in the global tech board  waytogo.

Two dogs
S2R1000 gives me a warm feeling in my

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 02:22:51 PM »

i'm about to do my shims for the first time. s2r 800 2v
 ok it looks fairly straight forward BUT advice from someone thats been there before would be handy with my preparation...
cheers
btw i'm in the inner west
fingers crossed

If the engine has relatively low Ks and hasn't been flogged at high revs most likely scenario is that the exhaust shims will
be the only ones out of spec which only requires judicial and carefully controlled polishing to get them back to recommended
measurement.
Buying a whole set of shims is expensive and likely you will still have the remainder when you sell the bike years later.

Ill go back into my sulking mode now  laughingdp

insydney

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 12:12:40 AM »

many thanks for that 'twodogs', it makes good sense.
i have had the bike for 6,000kms , it now has a total 12,000kms on the clock.  this isn't a lot but it rattles a little which explains my concern to check them.  a slight rattle would suggest loose closers wouldn't it ?   i'm also going to change the timing belts too and hopefully i can find the source of the rattle... fingers crossed

@ungeheuer... ok well maybe that's a result of ducati's reliability ?  no need to continually ask Q's   lol    i am sure i'm going to change that Smiley
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 12:31:22 AM »

Ask away  waytogo

Hopefully more of those in the know - like Two dogs - will chime in too.

insydney

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 07:56:48 PM »

cheers ungeheuer...
i guess my main consideration is not knowing what shims i might need in advance, hence my thought that it may be necessary to do it once and measure things before ordering any... PITA i know but short of sending it to a shop i can't see any alternative Sad

one Q i have is what trick/ tool people use to stop the valves dropping once the collets are removed, i.e cable ties or forceps thingies...

cheers
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 08:24:56 PM »

You put that cylinder on tdc compression as insurance so the valve cant fall too far.. I use a plastic modified fuel hose scissor clamp. Some use medical forceps. I thought of trying small clothes pegs too. I also have some very strong small magnets I havent tried yet.
Im sure there will be many better methods out there.

2015 Scrambler 800
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 08:27:12 PM »

cheers ungeheuer...
i guess my main consideration is not knowing what shims i might need in advance, hence my thought that it may be necessary to do it once and measure things before ordering any... PITA i know but short of sending it to a shop i can't see any alternative Sad

1) Measure clearances.
2) Remove shims and measure.
3) Calculate what size shims you need.
4) Take your measuring equipment to your shim provider, measure and buy the ones you need.
5) Install shims.
6) Go back to step one, and repeat until you get proper clearances.
7) Pro tip; shims that are too thick can be sanded down, but be aware that removing more than 0.02mm will be tedious.

one Q i have is what trick/ tool people use to stop the valves dropping once the collets are removed, i.e cable ties or forceps thingies...

cheers

Whichever cylinder you're working on, have that piston at top dead center.
Pro tip; don't rotate the crank with any valves open.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
insydney

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 04:39:31 PM »

cheers guys
@ speeddog
thats pretty much what i had planned to do, after much googling, my biggest problem is that i haven't found a reasonable local source for the shims yet
when i say 'reasonable' read that any way you wish, either having good stock, or financially.  that's my next job once everyone gets back off their xmas/new year break

@koko...  yep i'm probably gonna try some modified forceps from ebay except delivery time is usually a killer Tongue
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: