Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 15, 2024, 12:56:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cold Start issues  (Read 772 times)
Kabulpostie

« on: November 30, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »

Good Morning,
 I have an issue with my 2006 S2R1000, it won't start when cold. My first thought was that it was a battery issue since it was about six years years old and had spent the majority of the time being baked in the summer heat in AZ and TX. So I bought a new battery and it still won't start. Seems to give one or two half hearted spins of the starter motor and then quit.
Weather conditions: Lows of 25 or so with daytime mid 40's (NW Washington)

Batteries: 1st Shorai lithium, Replacement lithiums as well.

Could this be that lithiums don't do well in cold weather? I thought they had higher starting amps than Lead acid?

Or could this be a bigger issue with starter etc?

Thanks for any input,

Cameron

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 12:01:43 PM »

You could have other issues or there can be no issue at all.  First, charge that new Shorai.  They do not like falling below 12.8 volts.  Shorai says to not let it go below 13.1 volts. LiFePO4 batteries cold performance characteristics are different than lead acid batteries.  Cold cranking power actually improves after current is drawn from the battery for a period of time.  Try turning the key on with the headlight on for about 30 seconds, then try starting the bike.  On your SR2 that means turn the key on, then of, remove key, reinsert key, start bike.

Also, Shorai changed their recommendations for your bike.  Check here:  http://shoraipower.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: