Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:15:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard deceleration as soon as I let off the throttle ...  (Read 9805 times)
AudiFan

« on: August 19, 2015, 07:33:47 PM »

While riding esp in the city when I let off the throttle my bike decelerates extremely hard basically bucking me forward unless I pull the clutch.  It's sort of an extreme engine break.

Ok so I do not have a clue how to correct this or if this is normal for the S2RD.  I used to own a S4R and can not recall this issue with that or any other motorcycle I have owned.
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 07:53:05 PM »

Engine braking is your friend.  Wink

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Raux

Re:
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 08:03:26 PM »

Normal. But wouldnt hurt to make sure your brakes arent dragging
EEL

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 09:39:31 PM »

Please specify what gear you experience this in. If you are having this in first, it might not be an issue. If sixth, I would be cautious and do some inspections. If you have a front and rear stand, run the wheels off the ground and see if there is significant drag

Any lightened flywheel mods to disclose? This will make engine braking even worse.

Fix? Do you have a powercommander? Try putting 5 percent down the entire vertical column in 2% throttle position ( or whichever is the one higher than 0% throttle). I was messing around with my fueling and found that engine braking changed by doing a minor fuel tweak in the column noted.
AudiFan

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 02:52:02 AM »

I usually experience it from 1st and 2nd gear and that is usually at lower speeds. It makes riding through a parking lot or 2-up annoying as @#$%.  I do not have a PC or any other  engine mods.  I do have a bit of brake drag but this is definitely due to brake drag.

Thanks for the replies though.  Guess I just need to live with it and work that clutch.
scaudill

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 04:06:26 AM »

I have the same happening with my M750.  I think part of the problem is with the throttle assy or carburetors.
I had a 1200 H-D Sportster that should have great engine braking, but never experienced the abrupt decel like the Ducati.

Raux

Re:
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:23:07 AM »

Worst thing in the world on ducs is msf course at 10mph. On off trhttole rolls head back and forth until you learn clutch control. I still forget riding 2 up to be smoother on the clutch. My smacks my helmet on a bad downshift.
AudiFan

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 08:53:23 AM »

I just really don't remember my S4R being this bad.  Oh well I will get used to it I hope....
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 09:09:01 AM »

I have the same happening with my M750.  I think part of the problem is with the throttle assy or carburetors.
I had a 1200 H-D Sportster that should have great engine braking, but never experienced the abrupt decel like the Ducati.

Lower compression, lower RPM, heavier flywheel.
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 10:36:26 AM »

Make sure that your right foot does not contact your brake pedal when you ride. I had a friend many years ago who kept burning shift forks in his Honda, he had his foot just above the shift lever when he rode, and it would contact the lever just enough that he did not notice it, but the bike did!

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 09:10:26 AM »

learn to use your clutch.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Blackout

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 09:22:57 AM »

I love the engine braking effect of the Ducati. It makes me a better mountain rider. Hang onto the bike with your knees not just your hands.

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
SwiftTone

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 05:46:32 PM »

I love the engine braking effect of the Ducati. It makes me a better mountain rider. Hang onto the bike with your knees not just your hands.

I asked my track day instructor about this because I was basically relying on engine braking to slow down for corners and almkst not using my brakes at all. He advised me to use my (front) brakes more because engine braking slows down the bike with the rear wheel and can create instability. Front braking stabilizes the bike. It might be fine up to a certain pace but as the pace picks up you want to be able to modulate braking with actual brakes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: