Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 07:20:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Scrambler the new Monster?  (Read 31938 times)
Langanobob

« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2018, 04:49:15 PM »

Here's a good looking Scrambler.  It's I think the 450cc version but the same thing could be done to bigger motor Scramblers.  I think Steve McQueen would've liked it, once he got it good and dirty and dented.

MotoMucci Desert Sled Custom by bobthomasson, on Flickr

Here is a link to the builder's site:
https://www.motomucci.com/blog//2016/11/art-ducati-sixty2-desert-sled-concept.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:04:13 PM by Langanobob » Logged
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2018, 08:53:16 PM »

Much more dirt oriented.

For dirt road/trail riding, the150mm of suspension travel at each end of the basic models would be enough (sled has even more).  Certainly less ungainly for my 5'8" than a Multistrada or even a HM1100/796 with dual sport tyres. A litre more fuel than the Hyper is at least something and the compact dimensions look better for someone of my stature. Just looking at how to lower the passenger pegs. The rear set arms holding the passenger pegs swing down on the stockers?
An Ikon could be the bike I throw in the pick up for vacations..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:56:43 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2018, 09:48:10 PM »

I've worked on Scramblers.
That is a computer image only, IMO.

They imply that it's achievable with their infographic.
You cannot do what is shown there and have a functioning dirt scrambler.
Scrambler packaging is tight as a ducks ass, there is no wasted space.
Stuff does not get 'relocated' and magically disappear from plain view on a scrambler.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »

Anyone know if the passenger peg bracket can pivot to lower the pegs?
Edit: From closer inspection it appears that the rearset it a cast, one piece unit and the peg arm will not pivot downwards. Lowering the muffler with a tucked in afermarket pipe and fitting an adjustable passenger peg will allow the pegs to be lowered and angled forward. Seat looks ok for the passenger (seems more supportive than for the rider) and 150mm of wheel travel makes trail riding look ok.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:32:15 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Wayne-o

« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2018, 05:18:21 AM »

A "blank slate" standard bike with classic lines at a low price point with an air cooled engine.

Those are the reasons I got my monster (S2R800). When the 696/1100 generation started it became a little less of a blank slate (plastic tank, cast subframe ,modern lines) and as much as I like the new bikes, I never had the desire to upgrade.  then with the 821/1200 it went even further from what I felt a Monster was or should be (liquid cooled, more electronics, even less open to mods, more expensive).

now the scrambler is here and looking at the frame and tank on its own, you can really turn it into whatever you want.

I dont mean to hate on newer monsters, theyre great in their own right, just not my thing.

Interesting, I bailed on the 2018 Monster 821 and chose the 2018 Scrambler 1100! I  currently own a 2004 S4R snd don't plan get rid of it.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:25:40 AM by Wayne-o » Logged
Langanobob

« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2018, 05:45:42 PM »

Here's a good looking quasi-semi-scrambler type of bike.  Never owned or even ridden a Guzzi, they are quirky but it seems like owners love them.  Check out the state of the art forks, from here they look like exact replica of my '66 Bonneville forks. I am seriously looking at one of these, called a Stornello.  The name is at least better than some Moto Guzzi names like Stone and Quota. 

Stornello 
Langanobob

« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2018, 05:48:50 PM »

I've worked on Scramblers.
That is a computer image only, IMO.

They imply that it's achievable with their infographic.
You cannot do what is shown there and have a functioning dirt scrambler.
Scrambler packaging is tight as a ducks ass, there is no wasted space.
Stuff does not get 'relocated' and magically disappear from plain view on a scrambler.

Yeah, I called the place and they've never built a real one, although they do build other real custom bikes.  I think you are right about it not being practical to just disappear all that stuff.  But the picture does look cool.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:37:41 PM by Langanobob » Logged
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2018, 08:03:53 PM »

I'd take that Guzzi for a spin just to see what it's like.  Dolph

Very few Guzzis around here locally, I saw two in one day and almost had to sit down.

Customer V50 sounded wonderful (as it should) had a ton of flywheel and not much go, but it was 80's era, so par for the course.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
GK

« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2018, 12:49:42 PM »

I used to teach a kid whose dad rode a Guzzi California every day for years. He loved it.
He had it rebuilt at about 100,000kms iirc.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
Wayne-o

« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2018, 01:11:02 PM »

Here's a good looking quasi-semi-scrambler type of bike.  Never owned or even ridden a Guzzi, they are quirky but it seems like owners love them.  Check out the state of the art forks, from here they look like exact replica of my '66 Bonneville forks. I am seriously looking at one of these, called a Stornello.  The name is at least better than some Moto Guzzi names like Stone and Quota. 

Stornello 

I never liked the look of BMW's or the Guzzi with cylinders sticking out the side. Understood that cooling is optimized with this configuration but heat blowing back on the rider really doesn't sound appealing either.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2018, 01:51:49 PM »

Only boxer BMW I've ridden for any amount of time was an R60/5, engine didn't put out much heat (nor power  Undecided).

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2018, 01:59:51 PM »

Only boxer BMW I've ridden for any amount of time was an R60/5, engine didn't put out much heat (nor power  Undecided).
My 350 Kwak triple was faster than an R60/5. Tongue

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2018, 02:15:50 PM »

My 350 Kwak triple was faster than an R60/5. Tongue

Speed wasn't the R60/5's forte. It sure lasted a whole lot longer than a 350 triple though!  laughingdp

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2018, 02:28:12 PM »

Speed wasn't the R60/5's forte. It sure lasted a whole lot longer than a 350 triple though!  laughingdp
The thing used to spit rings out the exhaust port, and would still start and run. Shocked

Of course it was heavily modified. Wink

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Langanobob

« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2018, 09:16:33 AM »

I'd take that Guzzi for a spin just to see what it's like.  Dolph

Very few Guzzis around here locally, I saw two in one day and almost had to sit down.

Customer V50 sounded wonderful (as it should) had a ton of flywheel and not much go, but it was 80's era, so par for the course.

Searching around for Stornello rider reviews I ran across an ad for Thousand Oaks Powersports, says they have them in stock.  If you could break away for a couple of hours maybe you could go for a test ride.   And, of course, report  back to the unwashed snowbound masses here.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: