Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 10:36:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Scrambler the new Monster?  (Read 32202 times)
xcaptainxbloodx

« on: May 12, 2015, 10:52:58 AM »

A "blank slate" standard bike with classic lines at a low price point with an air cooled engine.

Those are the reasons I got my monster (S2R800). When the 696/1100 generation started it became a little less of a blank slate (plastic tank, cast subframe ,modern lines) and as much as I like the new bikes, I never had the desire to upgrade.  then with the 821/1200 it went even further from what I felt a Monster was or should be (liquid cooled, more electronics, even less open to mods, more expensive).

now the scrambler is here and looking at the frame and tank on its own, you can really turn it into whatever you want.

I dont mean to hate on newer monsters, theyre great in their own right, just not my thing.
jduke

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 12:08:27 PM »

I've seen some rumor posts about Ducati coming out with a smaller Scrambler, maybe in the 600cc range, and also in a 1200 version. If they come out with a 1200 version I don't see how they can keep the plus points you mention, especially air cooled.
I guess we'll know soon enough.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 12:37:27 PM »

The Monster will continue, but water-cooled. If you go to Ducati USA you won't see any air cooled models. I doubt they'll see the benefit of a 1200, but an entry level in the 600 or smaller would be logical, especially in the emerging markets.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 01:00:42 PM »

there are "talks" of a smaller LTwin both liquid and air cooled . . . and maybe a mono cylinder in the area of 400cc . . .aircooled

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
MONTY59

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »

yep my 93 m900 is naked and physical just how it should be. means i can do most work myself for free. to many electric stuff and im lost.but i do like the look of the scrambler  Dolph
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 07:15:32 PM »

A thumper would be great!
geoffduc

18 till i die

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 11:35:58 PM »

I personally don't think that we'll see a 1200 or any water cooled scrambler, it is what it is a simple air cooled cheap (by Ducati standards) naked motor cycle (blank slate) on which the owners can mod to their hearts content and make it their own... bow down

I do think that a smaller version will appear at some moment in time perhaps a mono and if sales are anything to go by it  has hit to spot with alot of folks, I'm certainly delivering quite a few... waytogo

Geoff... coffee

BTW  I'm already collecting parts for when my one eventually comes along... Shocked

2015 scrambler FT
2009 monster 1100s
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 03:00:51 AM »

Certainly looks like the scrambler is doing what the original monster did:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/ducati-scrambler-sales-april-q1-2015/

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 05:24:07 AM »

Certainly looks like the scrambler is doing what the original monster did:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/ducati-scrambler-sales-april-q1-2015/

Ducati has always done well selling air-cooled bikes. I appreciate the way that they introduce these bikes, sell them for a few years and then discontinue them. I'm sure many out there disagree, but it actually helps the brand and keeps the resale value high. I doubt this will be the case with the Scrambler though.

This bike IMHO is a much better starter bike than the Monster. If what Geoff says pans out, a low displacement twin and/or single would open up a whole new market for Ducati everywhere.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 06:45:54 AM »

Ducati has always done well selling air-cooled bikes. I appreciate the way that they introduce these bikes, sell them for a few years and then discontinue them. I'm sure many out there disagree, but it actually helps the brand and keeps the resale value high. I doubt this will be the case with the Scrambler though.

This bike IMHO is a much better starter bike than the Monster. If what Geoff says pans out, a low displacement twin and/or single would open up a whole new market for Ducati everywhere.

Agreed.  The ducati executives responsible for the scrambler deserve a pat on the back.  Good vision, marketing, and product (or so I hear).  On a DS forum I participate in, there is a guy selling his DR650 to buy a scrambler.  Not exactly a direct swap, but that is exactly what I'd want to hear if I were an executive---stealing a loyal customer from another brand.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
jduke

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 06:53:00 AM »

http://motorbikewriter.com/ducati-scrambler-learner-coming/
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 08:08:06 AM »

A thumper would be great!

+ 11tybillion

Mhanis

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 10:19:55 AM »

There was a two part article the last two weeks in Cycle News where Claudio Domenicali stated in very clear terms that as far as he is concerned the Scrambler will be as "introductory" a bike as Ducati will make. He does not see the benefit of Ducati appealing to "new" riders. He wants Ducati to remain exclusive and an "aspirational" brand. He shut down any suggestion of a "scooter" of any sort.

When asked about a any kind of single (specifically a Supermono) he said Ducati will not make a single.

But of course, just because he says something doesn't make it true!

Here is a link to the first part of the article: http://cyclenews.uberflip.com/i/506850-cycle-news-2015-issue-18-may-5/54

The second article can be found in the Cycle News current edition.

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
geoffduc

18 till i die

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 12:10:03 PM »

Gentlemen I see the customers that are buying scramblers and also deliver new bikes, now what I'm seeing is that the customer is either new to ducati having had other brands of motor cycles and aspired to ducati or he or she has already got one or more ducati's and is adding a scrambler to the garage which is what I intend to do.

Claudio states that there won't be a  single, well when I asked the powers that be afew years ago if they were going to market a 848 streetfighter I was told no, so what happens after I buy my 1098 streetfighter you guessed a 848SF is introduced into the next years line up... bang head

The way that the scrambler is being marketed I think is very clever, I know some don't like the hipster thing but I can tell you that when ever I drop one off it soon attracts an admiring crowd.

Geoff... coffee

2015 scrambler FT
2009 monster 1100s
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 12:20:35 PM »

When asked about a any kind of single (specifically a Supermono) he said Ducati will not make a single.

But of course, just because he says something doesn't make it true!

But they make such as nice single.  drool

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: