Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 02:20:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riding to Patagonia  (Read 121145 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #375 on: June 20, 2017, 04:04:26 PM »

Haha.  I've managed to limit the facial hair to five-o'clock shadows.  But I did discover my first gray chest hair on this trip.  He now has a siblings, no doubt fathered by a few close calls with oncoming trucks.  Grin
I have hair. waytogo waytogo

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #376 on: June 20, 2017, 04:17:42 PM »

Wow!

You better write a book.

Or become a travel writer of National Geographic or Smithsonian

This, again, I repeat . . . pay attention . . . or let's go grab another shifter screw

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #377 on: June 22, 2017, 02:58:53 PM »

After the neverending day, I was happy to seek out asphalt, which made up 90% of following day's ride through the Cañon de Pato, a narrow, arid, and lifeless canyon formed by the Rio Santo flowing from the Cordillera Blanca mountain range down to the sea.  Lots of short tunnels on this route.  Empty mines and burned up tankers made it a little like riding through a Mad Max wasteland.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 03:00:30 PM by 1.21GW » Logged

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #378 on: July 04, 2017, 11:38:03 AM »

Next stop was Huanuco on my way south.  I got a chance to do some basic maintenance at a moto shop recommended to me by some folks at ADVrider.  Great group of guys, and I ended up coming back to the shop with some beers and just hanging out in the evening.  We talked bikes, Peru, Dakar, and more, while they took every chance to haze and ridicule El Tigre, the shop apprentice.  Just proves that bike shops are the same in every language, in every country.  This pretty much captures the spirit of the day:

Didn't take many pictures on the road to Huanuco, but the section that cuts through the Cordillera Blanca and Cordillera Huayhuash ranges was the highlight of the ride.

From Huancayo, I had two options: SE towards Ayacucho or SW to the coast.  The former is a popular mountain route that leads to Cusco and Machu Picchu.  But I wanted to see the Nazca lines and check out Huacachina, so I headed SW.   That route took me up to flatlands in the 4000-4500m range before defending down through a canyon that follows the Rio Cañete for hours until it spills out into the coastal flatlands.  The coast of Peru, unfortunately, is the ugly stepsister in the family: an overcast and featureless desert.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:42:43 AM by 1.21GW » Logged

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #379 on: July 04, 2017, 03:19:34 PM »

So, how did the cojinete greasing go?

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #380 on: July 04, 2017, 06:22:54 PM »

Worse than thought.  Whole inside of starter was rusted, bushing cracked in two, and carbon ends needed replacing.  Luckily my guy is a on it.  Should be good to go tomorrow.

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #381 on: July 05, 2017, 07:30:13 AM »

The southern coast of Peru is dry desert, getting 5cm of rain a year.  Very different from the snow-capped mountains and jungles of the central and eastern part of the country. 

Near Ica, there is an actual desert oasis: a small lagoon crowned with palm trees located in a boundless sea of sand. I didn't think they existed outside of Victorian adventure novels and Arabian folklore.  But they do and the hamlet of Huacachina is proof.

The main activity is to take a dune buggy ride over and around the surrounding sand dunes, some hundreds of feet high. The Dakar passes through this area, so it’s fun to imagine the riders going full throttle over the dunes. The dune buggy rides are as thrilling as a roller coaster.

Nasca is famous for its mysterious lines carved into the desert floor by an ancient civilization. Visible strictly from above, and with no nearby mountaintop or cliff to view them, there purpose and creation remains a bit of a mystery. There is a lookout tower to view a few drawings clustered near the main highway. However, the best views are from aircraft ($80USD). Without a zoom lens, I couldn’t capture much detail so if you want to see more just goggle "Nasca lines".

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #382 on: July 05, 2017, 11:50:32 AM »

The Atacama is also the driest desert in the world.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Mhanis

« Reply #383 on: July 05, 2017, 12:43:19 PM »

I just saw something on TV about the lines this weekend, and there you are!

Intriguing read as always! Stay safe.

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #384 on: July 05, 2017, 01:09:58 PM »

The Atacama is also the driest desert in the world.

So I've read.  Was on my list (the Lagunas Route between Uyuni and Atacama: 400km unsupported through raw desert) but due to a variety of reasons, I'm taking a different path.  I actually read this little nugget on Wikipedia: "Evidence suggests that the Atacama may not have had any significant rainfall from 1570 to 1971."  That's crazy!  Shocked

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #385 on: July 05, 2017, 03:36:42 PM »

Wow.
Good write up man.

2015 Scrambler 800
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #386 on: July 07, 2017, 03:29:41 PM »

Did a tour of the salt flats of Uyuni today. When I booked the tour yesterday the guy noted the date (7-7-7) and said it was good luck. I joked that maybe I'll find El Dorado.  What happened instead is I dropped my camera into a salt lake. No more photos.

Have a few pics still to post and catch up, but this may signal the end of the ride report.  We'll see...

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #387 on: July 07, 2017, 03:35:05 PM »

make the beast with two backsbiscuits!

That sucks!

Cry

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #388 on: July 07, 2017, 03:45:05 PM »

Did a tour of the salt flats of Uyuni today. When I booked the tour yesterday the guy noted the date (7-7-7) and said it was good luck. I joked that maybe I'll find El Dorado.  What happened instead is I dropped my camera into a salt lake. No more photos.

Have a few pics still to post and catch up, but this may signal the end of the ride report.  We'll see...

Could we send you a new one?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #389 on: July 07, 2017, 04:36:39 PM »

Could we send you a new one?

I was just thinking that ....

What camera did you have?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: