Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 05:59:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riding to Patagonia  (Read 121176 times)
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #480 on: November 28, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »

After the coast I raced off south towards Patagonia.  My first major stop was Pucon in central Chile.  If you're familiar with Hokusai's "36 Views of Mt. Fuji", you have a sense of what it's like riding around the Pucon and surrounding areas.  Each pueblo sits at the base of a volcano (each with the same symmetrical form and snowy cap) that makes riding along the lake region an act of deja vu: there always seems to be a lone volcano framing the landscape as if you are passing through the same spot again and again.  Or worse, they are like Big Brother, always watching, always spying on you from just over the ridge or around are forested hill.  They are inescapable.

Pucon is a typical outdoor  town familiar to anyone that has vacationed in the Alps or Rockies.  Activities include kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, skiing, fishing, and on and on.  Though technically not in Patagonia, it is a preview of what lies ahead: lakes upon lakes, waterfalls after waterfall, endless clear blue streams, wildflowers as far as the eye can see, and forests again and again.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #481 on: November 28, 2017, 08:42:58 AM »

waytogo waytogo Dolph Dolph Dolph Dolph Dolph

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #482 on: November 28, 2017, 11:54:53 AM »

Pucón/Villarica were my favorite places in Chile. Pucón is more of a tourist trap, but the area is gorgeous.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #483 on: November 28, 2017, 12:33:53 PM »

Glad you got the camera situation worked out.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #484 on: November 28, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »

Pucón/Villarica were my favorite places in Chile. Pucón is more of a tourist trap, but the area is gorgeous.

Yeah.  High season starts Christmas week and runs Jan-Feb, so I was there early enough to avoid the crowds but late enough to enjoy great weather.

Did you make it down to the Carretera Austral at all?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:17:11 PM by 1.21GW » Logged

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #485 on: November 28, 2017, 02:45:51 PM »

I didn’t make it past Pucón unfortunately. I regret not taking more time off to visit Patagonia.

DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #486 on: November 28, 2017, 08:21:43 PM »

I have to say that after keeping up with all of this it is cool to see a picture of YOU!

I am quite disappointed however that you don't look anything like your avatar.  boo

Continued fun and safety to you!!

Mark

Mark - ya haven't been following that close -; there was a pic of him and Carlos eating while Carlos was hosting in Panama ... I think it was ....

Spectacular pics of places we should all travel ....  popcorn

Dolph

.... all the world is yours.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #487 on: November 29, 2017, 03:04:03 AM »

That picture was, like, three beards ago.

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #488 on: November 29, 2017, 04:06:35 AM »

That picture was, like, three beards ago.
laughingdp

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
GregP

« Reply #489 on: November 29, 2017, 06:40:00 AM »

I consider myself well traveled having lived in Europe and visiting every continent except Australia and Antarctica. Seeing these pictures really has raised my curiosity about making my way to Patagonia and the surrounding areas. Spectacular!! Thanks

Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #490 on: December 02, 2017, 07:56:35 AM »

Travel Tip #320: Things to consider when invited to act as a shaman

As a seasoned traveler you may find yourself in a conversation comparing prior shamanisitic experiences when it is pointed out that there are in fact some medicinal plants growing on the property just a few feet from your hammock. Your enthusiasm may be misconstrued as confidence and then you could find yourself handed a half meter of echinopsis pachanoi and assigned the task of converting the plant into an elixir of the soul. Don't panic. Keep in mind the following things and all will go well:

- Google is your friend. More information on plant preparation than should be legally allowed is available with just a few keystrokes.

- Don't forget to look up the proper indigenous name for the plant. It will make you sound like you know what you're doing.

- When cooking the strange brew, bring a book. A full twelve hours may be needed to fully separate the pulp from the alkaloids. It's a good time to bite off a chunk of 1Q84's 1,317 pages.

- Think only positive thoughts while touching the cactus and cooking the brew because maybe all the metaphysical shit is real.

- Dress accordingly for the ceremony. Go sock-less and maybe put your hair in a bun if it's long enough. Anything that gives you the air of carefree chaperone to the spirit world. If you have a hemp shirt, wear it. No one is going to believe a shaman wearing Nike Dri-FIT.

- Pick a sacred space for the ceremony. Try to avoid hilltops in direct sunlight. You'd think the combination of view and nature would be ideal, but you'd be wrong. Sunlight amplifies nausea.

- Start by burning something. Tobacco. Palo Santo. Whatever. The sacred space won't cleanse itself.

- Encourage the group to make some music. It will call the spirits to you and create vibrations through which interworld communication can take place. Also, it gives you something to kill the boredom while you wait the necessary two hours for the mescaline to kick in. Drums, pan flutes, or maracas make simple but effective instruments. Maybe don't try playing the flute if you can't get it to make concordant notes.

- Don't think about the taste. Dear god, think about anything but the bitter taste. And maybe add more lemon juice next time.

- Ignore the sounds of your fellow participants' vomiting. Be a good shaman and remind them that that is their body just passing all its negative energy. And breakfast.

- Oh, speaking of that, maybe don't have a big breakfast. Avoid big egg-y things in particular.

- Probably not relevant, but just in case: don't try to ride wild horses while under the influence.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:10:52 AM by 1.21GW » Logged

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #491 on: December 02, 2017, 08:35:18 AM »

I’ll make sure to remember this section the next time I con, I mean, I’m asked to provide my shaman services.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #492 on: December 02, 2017, 12:14:14 PM »

Travel Tip #320: Things to consider when invited to act as a shaman

As a seasoned traveler you may find yourself in a conversation comparing prior shamanisitic experiences when it is pointed out that there are in fact some medicinal plants growing on the property just a few feet from your hammock. Your enthusiasm may be misconstrued as confidence and then you could find yourself handed a half meter of echinopsis pachanoi and assigned the task of converting the plant into an elixir of the soul. Don't panic. Keep in mind the following things and all will go well:

- Google is your friend. More information on plant preparation than should be legally allowed is available with just a few keystrokes.

- Don't forget to look up the proper indigenous name for the plant. It will make you sound like you know what you're doing.

- When cooking the strange brew, bring a book. A full twelve hours may be needed to fully separate the pulp from the alkaloids. It's a good time to bite off a chunk of 1Q84's 1,317 pages.

- Think only positive thoughts while touching the cactus and cooking the brew because maybe all the metaphysical shit is real.

- Dress accordingly for the ceremony. Go sock-less and maybe put your hair in a bun if it's long enough. Anything that gives you the air of carefree chaperone to the spirit world. If you have a hemp shirt, wear it. No one is going to believe a shaman wearing Nike Dri-FIT.

- Pick a sacred space for the ceremony. Try to avoid hilltops in direct sunlight. You'd think the combination of view and nature would be ideal, but you'd be wrong. Sunlight amplifies nausea.

- Start by burning something. Tobacco. Palo Santo. Whatever. The sacred space won't cleanse itself.

- Encourage the group to make some music. It will call the spirits to you and create vibrations through which interworld communication can take place. Also, it gives you something to kill the boredom while you wait the necessary two hours for the mescaline to kick in. Drums, pan flutes, or maracas make simple but effective instruments. Maybe don't try playing the flute if you can't get it to make concordant notes.

- Don't think about the taste. Dear god, think about anything but the bitter taste. And maybe add more lemon juice next time.

- Ignore the sounds of your fellow participants' vomiting. Be a good shaman and remind them that that is their body just passing all their negative energy. And breakfast.

- Oh, speaking of that, maybe don't have a big breakfast. Avoid big egg-y things in particular.

- Probably not relevant, but just in case: don't try to ride wild horses while under the influence.

laughingdp applause
What was the dosage inscription on the base of the plant? Oh, wait a minute...

2015 Scrambler 800
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #493 on: December 02, 2017, 03:31:43 PM »

New career?
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #494 on: December 03, 2017, 04:54:49 AM »

New career?
Haha. As this trip approaches the end I'll take whatever job I can get.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: