Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 09:14:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riding to Patagonia  (Read 121372 times)
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 08:52:34 AM »

My only suggestion if you're riding down to Buenos Aires, stick to the west coast and then cross over to Argentina. The easiest border crossing down there is via Paso Los Libertadores (scenic highway), but other crossings might be more "fun". Ecuador, Peru and Chile are very "gringo friendly".

Good advice.  I have a buddy who owns lives on the coast of Ecuador and expect to hang there for a few weeks, so I imagine I will stick to the coast for a good portion of the trip.  That said, the inland parts are pretty awesome too, so maybe I go down the coast and back up the middle.  That's the best part of operating with no strict plan...

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 06:48:03 PM »

Ok, opinions sought.  I am deciding whether or not to sell the duc.

Sell
Once winter hits, the duc will be put away for the season.  In spring, I will likely ride the DR most of the time prepping for the trip.  Then I will embark on the trip for 6-12 months, maybe more  I really have no idea after that, but likely I'll end up back in the US in a new city---no more NYC.

By the time I am resettled, all in all, the duc will probably be hibernating for 2 years.  Even then, I am eager to try a new breed: streetfighter, hypermotard, any one of various drool-worthy KTMs, appealing non-Duc italian bikes, and so on.

Keep
...buuuuuttttt, the duc is such a fun little girl.  And that styling is timeless.  And it's a duc.  And it's MY duc.  And though not technically my first bike, it is de facto my first bike.  But to be fair, I've always been one of those people that doesn't keep much and isn't very sentimental---I'd rather make new memories then dwell on old ones.  90% of my possession will be sold.  The rest will be with me on my bike, or in a bag or two stored in my sister's basement.

I guess the best sell option is to return it to stock a bit and then sell the bits, but that is a PITA.  So I'd either part the thing out or sell it whole.  Whole, what am I getting, $3000?  $3500?  $4000?  Parted: no idea.  It is worth selling to pocket $3500?  That's maybe an extra month of living down south, or a down payment on a new bike when I get back, but not much else.  So maybe the economic guidance is to keep it.

In the end, it's a personal choice.  But some thoughts would be appreciated from the wiser fools in the audience.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 05:06:47 AM »

Park it a howie's place and I'll ride it to my next DIMBY  Grin

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 05:21:03 AM »

Cheesy

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 05:58:04 AM »

Park it a howie's place and I'll ride it to my next DIMBY  Grin

I said the wiser fools in the audience.  Wink

Ok, if it's stored lonely in some garage while I'm abroad and you are back at DIMBY, you are welcome to it.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 07:46:45 AM »

You can store it in my garage.  My bike and lawnmower will keep it company.  Ung can take it for a spin.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:49:00 AM by howie » Logged
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 07:49:02 AM »

Storage is not an issue---my dad has kindly offered space in his cavernous garage.  But the question is whether I would use it whenever it is I return.  Might be worth selling and not worrying about it, then just buying a new bike whenever I get back and settled.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 07:52:22 AM »

For the money you will get for the bike, IMO, worth keeping.  Worry and hassle?  Obviously your decision.
Needle99

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 01:02:25 PM »

I said the wiser fools in the audience.  Wink
Half right there  Wink

2004 S4R, Full Termi Kit, marving midpipe, DP Clutch pressure plate, Rizoma Open Clutch Cover,  Ducabike Slave Cyl and some tasteful carbon blingy goodness
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »

Store it and when you return if you aren't interested deal with it then.

It isn't worth much as a bike, but you could get some decent money as parts if you're willing to part it.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 09:32:02 AM »

Update:

Ok, with today's payday I hit my savings target for this trip, so it is on.  waytogo  The plan now is to quit working in May, go to Peru for 2 months of mountain climbing (my other obsession) return to the USA and leave for Mexico in Aug or Sept, which would put me in Panama roughly Nov before continuing on into S. America in the new year.

Bike is 95% set.  Just need to: 1) fix the NSU switch when I change the oil (a minor DR650 quirk with potential for disaster if left unattended); 2) get the suspension adjusted; 3) switch out the can and mid-pipe.  Minor things that I can do over the winter/spring.  I need to school myself on carbs, since my bike experience has so far been FI and I will need to adjust on the fly as I ride through various altitudes in the Andes.

Got a great set of panniers from here: http://www.moskomoto.com/ .  Used them already on a small camping trip and they were great.  Highly recommended to anyone looking for a set for their dirt bike or dual sport.

Finally, if anyone has any suggested spots to visit anywhere from here to Tierra del Fuego, let me know.  I'm compiling a list.

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 09:33:37 AM »

Footnote: Oh, and the decision (based on the board's campaigning above) I came to re: the duc is to keep the it stored and deal with it when I get back in 2017.  Will probably need some advice on how to prep for long term storage at some point.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 09:47:46 AM »

Footnote: Oh, and the decision (based on the board's campaigning above) I came to re: the duc is to keep the it stored and deal with it when I get back in 2017.  Will probably need some advice on how to prep for long term storage at some point.
I know exactly how not to do it bang head laughingdp...so I can advise how to do it. waytogo

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 09:58:56 AM »

I know exactly how not to do it bang head laughingdp...so I can advise how to do it. waytogo

Ha!  Step 1: Don't store it in DP's barn.  In fact, keep it a minimum of 200 miles from that graveyard of steel and iron.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 10:08:36 AM »

Gives the term 'Barn Fresh' an entirely new meaning...eh? Wink

perspective

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: