Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 05:46:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riding to Patagonia  (Read 121152 times)
1.21GW

bikeless

« on: April 13, 2015, 09:25:50 AM »

This weekend I bought this…

…for the express purpose of riding to Buenos Aires.   Approximately one year from now I will quit my job, get on the back of my DR650, and head south with no schedule and limited only by the need to eventually return to the rat race before I run out of money.  This will include a re-boot of my attempt at dinner with Carlos, who unfortunately had his accident days before I was supposed to meet up with him on a 16-hr layover during my return from Ecuador.  This time it will be harder to smuggle bourbon to you, Carlos, if for no other reason than I will likely end up drinking it myself before I reach Panama.

So this next twelve months is about my prepping for the trip, and seeking the conflicting opinions, bold suggestions, and off color insights of my fellow DMFers.  Yes, ADVrider is better for this sort of preparation---and I do use it for research---but it is too large and too fast for my tastes, and I much prefer the company of misguided ducatistas.

Anyway, more to come over the next twelve months, as I hope to tap the collective expertise.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 05:24:54 AM by 1.21GW » Logged

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 09:51:19 AM »

I only have this to offer...

get to the restaurant about an hour early and eat. Otherwise you'll go hungry. Wink

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 09:59:13 AM »

I only have this to offer...

get to the restaurant about an hour early and eat. Otherwise you'll go hungry. Wink

That's the "off color insight" I was referring to.   Grin

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 11:04:35 AM »

Ask UNG for updates to the DR650 . . .

no need to get to the restaurant so early . . . our rations here are quite good . . .

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »

Actually, I'm one step ahead of you: Ung and I have traded PMs about this, and he was very helpful in guiding my bike shopping.  (As was He Man, to the extent he wasn't steering me towards the 690 Enduro he is pining for.  Grin)

You can't tell from this pic, but the bike has nearly all the ADV stuff you could want, save side racks and panniers.  So I saved some time and $$ from having to make those mods myself.  That said, I originally was searching for stock DR650s, so that in the process of modding I'd get to know the bike.  My wrenching skills are basic (change fluids, replace chains, swap sprockets, new belts, spark plugs, &c) and I need to improve them for the trip.  That'll be one of focal points for this year.  Currently, I'd like to learn to adjust valves and adjust carbs (my duc is a fuelie, so I've been spared the task so far).  I'd also like to get better at diagnosing problems, although I'm not sure how one goes about acquiring that skill.

Anyway, the DR650 was chosen for, among other things, the ease of wrenching.  I look forward to poking and prodding.

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 12:25:14 PM »

Well, I know a guy who knows a guy who could lend you the shop for a day to wrench the bike locally . . . This guy might even feed you and give you fluids to drink !!!

Carlos
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 12:27:34 PM »

Congrats!
lazylightnin717

we used to play for silver, now we play for life

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 02:56:55 PM »

You're really doing it this time. Aren't yah?

Comes a time
When the blind man takes your hand
Says don't you see
Gotta' make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 03:26:28 PM »

You're really doing it this time. Aren't yah?
This time?  Maybe I mentioned dreams of this before, but I don't recall.  In any case, yup is the answer (barring job loss or other catastrophic/tragic event).  The real issue now is that I can't really wait.  Once you decide you are leaving a job it is tough to fake it.  Even tougher to fake it for 12 whole months.

Well, I know a guy who knows a guy who could lend you the shop for a day to wrench the bike locally . . . This guy might even feed you and give you fluids to drink !!!

Sounds like a decent guy.  I may have to buy him a drink, too.  Grin

roggie

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »

Safe travels! Sounds like a great adventure.

I met Carlos here in Michigan right before the detroit ducati shop opened. A quick visit but a good guy indeed!

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 02:57:14 AM »

Nice 1.21GW  waytogo waytogo

Adjusting valves on the DR is a total piece of cake mate, dead easy.

Not that it will matter, IME you wont need to touch valve adjustment between New York and Beunos Aires.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
MendoDave
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 01:02:54 PM »

I'll keep tuned to this station.  Wink

popcorn
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 07:05:14 AM »

My only suggestion if you're riding down to Buenos Aires, stick to the west coast and then cross over to Argentina. The easiest border crossing down there is via Paso Los Libertadores (scenic highway), but other crossings might be more "fun". Ecuador, Peru and Chile are very "gringo friendly".

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »

hey duccarlos . . . will be visiting SoFla next week . . . do you have the time to meet?

Carlos
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 07:19:42 AM »

When next week?! I'll be in town, but visiting a customer from Tuesday to Thursday. I'm available Friday!

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: