Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 01, 2024, 09:11:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia Tuono V4R review  (Read 5507 times)
techno

« on: January 26, 2015, 02:24:32 AM »

I recently sold my Monster after 7 years and bought a Tuono V4R.

There seems to be a bit of love for the Tuono so I thought I would put down some of my thoughts. I will compare some aspects to the monster as its a good reference point here.

My first impression sitting on it was that the seat is noticeably higher than the monster. You also feel that you are sitting on it rather than in it as the gauges and tank seem much lower.

It has a real bark when it fires up but unlike the monster you have to hold that start button until it starts. Caught me out the first few times when I didn’t hold it long enough.

The riding position is pretty comfortable. I have heard that some find the seat hard but I have the gel seat which I find quite comfortable.

Its a bit hard to describe why but it feels like a modern bike. Everything is smooth and easy. The fuel injection is spot on at any revs. All the controls are really light, especially the clutch compared to Ducati’s.

Despite the power (168hp) it is very easy to ride. It doesn’t feel like a snarling beast at legal road speeds at all. It does give you the impression it wants to go faster and the exhaust noise just dares you to rev it. The first time I did give it a bit of a handful was in second gear and when I finally had time to look at the speedo I was surprised how quickly I got into illegal speeds. The redline is supposed to be 11,500rpm but as I’m still running mine in, it’s limited to about 8,000. By the time you get to 8,000 you are already over the open speed limit in any gear other than first. Apparently it has a different character over about 7,500. Time will tell when I get the chance to open her up.

It does put out a lot of heat but I never noticed it on the open road, only when sitting at traffic lights after a spirited run. In Tasmania’s generally cold climate, I see any heat issues as a plus. It will help to keep me warm in winter.

It’s fitted with a quick shifter as standard. I didn’t think I would use it but its a lot of fun holding open the throttle and just banging up through the gears. I just had the train my brain to forget the clutch lever and not back off the throttle. I had a few fumbles initially when I kept the throttle on but pulled in the clutch out of habit. Hit the rev limiter then.

This is in no way a pillion friendly bike. My wife said it makes the Monster feel like a comfy lounge. The pillion seat is just too slippery and its angled down towards the rider. As there is nothing to hold on to, the pillions weight gets transferred to the rider. It’s actually uncomfortable as a rider to have a pillion on board.

You should also avoid this bike if you worry about your carbon footprint. It likes a drink. The tank on my bike holds 17 litres (the current model has been increased by 1.5lt). I have only put through a few tanks but generally the fuel light comes on at 160 to 170km (thats 100 miles). The odometer then starts to count upwards. I did a test to see how far I could get on reserve before it stopped running. Riding conservatively I did a further 46km. When I refilled it took 16.4 litres so you can use most of the tank. Apparently my fuel consumption will increase once I start using more of the revs. By comparison, my S2R800 used to get 200km to the light and then another 40 before it ran out.

The Tuono is effectively an RSV4 with a more comfy riding position and it feels every bit of it when cornering. This thing is a weapon. It is very quick steering and stable and just encourages increasingly faster corner speeds. The exhaust note, even with the standard set up, sounds brilliant and doesn’t help to maintain legal speeds.

I haven’t really touched on the electronics because you don’t feel them while riding. I don’t think I have pushed it hard enough to get the traction control involved.

As you can tell I am pretty stoked with it. While there are a few practical drawbacks, the riding experience more than makes up for it.  Dolph

Hey Techno you are a smart man.  waytogo

Had an accident in Tasmania? - www.tas-compo-law.com.au
techno

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 02:29:03 AM »

and the obligatory photo....

Ducatamount

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:07:11 AM »

Cool.  Cool
I personally don't care for the looks of it but there is no doubt it is one of the best motors out there and  with some major bodywork mods would be killer.
I look forward to hearing your next review when the motor is broken in and you can stand on it.

half fast
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 02:52:20 PM »

This is an older review, but it really does put the Tuono in perspective:

If only it wasn't so damn ugly.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
techno

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 05:15:05 PM »

This is how Australians do bike reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&x-yt-cl=84503534&v=2nhlIKKJzkg

As for the looks I do find it a bit messy. Not as clean as an air-cooled monster but not as messy as the water cooled 821 or 1200. Besides, it matters not when your riding it.

red baron

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 07:21:07 PM »

I need to take one of those for a test ride.

Congrats, great to own a bike you're happy with. waytogo

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
Triple J
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 07:52:34 PM »

Very cool! Race ecu and slip-on will make it even better!  waytogo Full system if you can afford it.  Evil The V4 is truly a great motor.
The Don

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 12:12:53 AM »

I love everything about the tuono except how far the headlights sit out from the forks, if only they could tighten that up or redesign that part of the bike.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something. - Plato
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 03:17:04 PM »

laughingdp applause
 Boris?

2015 Scrambler 800
red baron

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 06:54:05 AM »

So I test rode this finally.

Seat is like a brick. Gel seat?

Super tall first gear. Easy fix.

Everything else, WOW!!!!

Quickshifter waytogo

V4 waytogo

Easy electronics waytogo

Sound waytogo

Not quite the build quality of my current MV, however, no real issues. I will take another test ride as the one I rode was used and had some shit tires on it. I'll take my next ride at the actual dealer as they may have the gel seat and at this point that plank they call a seat is a deal breaker for me.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
HotIce

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 07:14:59 AM »

This is an older review, but it really does put the Tuono in perspective:

If only it wasn't so damn ugly.
Agree. And half the ugliness is that God awful front light cluster.
Triple J
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 08:52:57 AM »

Not quite the build quality of my current MV, however, no real issues. I will take another test ride as the one I rode was used and had some shit tires on it. I'll take my next ride at the actual dealer as they may have the gel seat and at this point that plank they call a seat is a deal breaker for me.

I have a Tuono V4 gel seat on my RSV4 race bike. If you get a Tuono I'll swap you for your stock seat. Make sure the seats are interchangeable between years on the Tuono, but I'm almost positive all the V4s are the same.

Long story on why I have a Tuono gel seat, but it was a fairing issue for racing and the gel seat was the cheapest option to get a stock seat back. It's in perfect condition.
red baron

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 06:58:15 AM »

After another demo with more seat time, I'm out on the TV4.

Barney

when in doubt, pin it

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 07:13:30 AM »

Not sure what those other guys are looking at, but that thing looks pretty mean to me  waytogo

It's got kind of a lambo style to it, at least to my eyes.  I like the front end a lot, but please, get some bar end mirrors? 

12 M1100EVO
09 KTM 200XC - sold. I cried.
70 Honda 450 Scrambler
Triple J
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 08:37:16 AM »

After another demo with more seat time, I'm out on the TV4.

Out of curiosity, why?

I've never ridden one, but I really like the looks, and the V4 is my all-time favorite motor. My main concern is the motor is too powerful to have fun on the street...I'd be breaking the law if I ever got it out of 3rd gear!  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: