Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 02:58:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternatives to expensive Ducati parts  (Read 240457 times)
bdfinally

« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2014, 08:05:50 AM »

How to pull your alternator cover for free or for under a few dollars:

If you are going to take off your alternator cover (or stator cover, whatever you want to call it) , you need a tool to pull the cover off of the engine.  If you were to pry along the edges, it would probably never seal again.  There is a special tool from Ducati for removing the cover, or you could buy an aftermarket version for roughly $25-$40 I think.  Alternatively, you could use a regular puller, for example a timing gear puller.

Autozone stocks a timing gear puller for $15, part brand/number OEM 27009. The great thing about this tool is that it is one of Autozone's loan-a-tools, so you can borrow it for free. After that, you just need to get a pair of M6 (I think.. it could be M5, I would check first) bolts that thread into the alternator cover where the inspection cover comes off.  You'll probably need some washers also, unless you can find a pair of M6 flange head bolts easily. You really don't need to even buy those, though, because if you're taking the cover off, you probably already have a wealth of removed fasteners that will work sitting around. Just take those and some washers, use your rented puller, and return it to Autozone afterwards for a full refund of your deposit.

Just to be clear, the bolts go through the slots on either side of the tool, with washers in between the bolt head and the tool, because the slot may be wider than the bolt head. The bolts are then threaded into the inspection cover holes, and then the middle part is turned until it makes contact with the shaft, then turned some more in order to pull the cover off.  If it is difficult to pull the cover, you've missed a bolt (or have a much lower definition of difficult than I do). I say this because I started turning it and it was difficult, and then I realized that I missed a bolt on the cover, behind the sprocket cover.

If you're like me, I know what you're thinking when you see that tool: "Well that looks fine for the most part, but is that sharp tip going to ruin something when I start pulling with it?" The answer is no; there is nothing for the tip to poke, so instead, the contact area is a ring right around the conical section, and the load is distributed evenly along the inner diameter of the shaft (at least on my M750 engine, I'd be surprised if it was different on other engines, but I would also double check if I were you).

Of course, there are other manufacturers of the same type of tool (Performance Tool W87010, for example), and probably other stores that will gladly rent you one, but for those in the US, I think Autozone will be the easiest.

Disclaimer: I didn't actually use this exact one, nor did I rent it from Autozone. I am 99.99% sure that this will work, though.  I had a seemingly identical tool sitting around from something else, so I used that, and then I saw that this one was available for rent at Autozone when I was looking for something else.

Worked for me (00 M750) 2 M6x1 bolts about 1 1/2 inches long and couple washers good to go.

The tyranny of the rat race is not yet final...HST
scaudill

« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2015, 03:52:53 AM »

I was able to find this oil pressure sensor at Rock Auto.  It fits my 2001 750 Monster.  Airtek 1S10841, Made in Germany, specs are 0.3-0.55 bar.  Also had this # GM 55581588.  Chevrolet Aveo.
At my door for $15 & change.
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2015, 05:18:23 AM »

I was able to find this oil pressure sensor at Rock Auto.  It fits my 2001 750 Monster.  Airtek 1S10841, Made in Germany, specs are 0.3-0.55 bar.  Also had this # GM 55581588.  Chevrolet Aveo.
At my door for $15 & change.

Nice tip, I need one of those. How did you confirm the specs of the OE pressure sensor? There are quite a few that are M8X1.0, only one I'd recall actually working was from a VW.

Also, not that the crap plating Ducati uses is worth *much*, but it does have some kind of protection from the elements. I'd be concerned with that raw steel bolt rusting all to hell within one season.

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
scaudill

« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2015, 05:41:32 AM »

This one looks like it is Cad plated.
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2015, 08:19:00 AM »

Scaudill: OOC why did you choose the Airtex over the GM part for $5 more? also, how did you determine which pressure rating to go with? a casual search turns up that the Ducati supposedly trips at a higher level, 1.4 bars of pressure .055 would trigger the light easier, yes?

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
scaudill

« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2015, 12:13:46 PM »

To be honest when I found one that had the correct looking electrical socket I jumped on it.  I think I read in this same thread that lots of people in the UK use this pressure rating with no problem. 
The description at Rock Auto catalog there where pictures of top, bottom and side.  That's good enough for me.
Sterling
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2015, 09:03:21 AM »

Based on Scaudill's tip I ordered the Airtex part and it indeed is a perfect fit, M8x1.25 thread and includes the crush washer unlike Ducati. I also confirmed that the OE unit operates at .4-.7 bars of pressure so this should be perfect. I like the way it looks, too.

If you ever need one fast, Auto Zone and Advance Auto stock the "Wells" branded version with the same part #.

Metzis

« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2015, 10:33:39 AM »

Hi guys few days ago i put the bike inside "to my garage" as i wanted to give it a nice fresh up for the nice weather that is coming so i clean it good change oil n filter 10-40 shell full synth. polish exhaust pipes and because few months ago i had some issues with my pick up sensor i decide that is time for me to change it, so i went to my local dealer and he gave me the price of 90 € after some search on the net i found that the same sensor from a fiat might fit, i made some further digging and you know what magneti marrelli pick up sensor from a fiat seicento is an exact fit. I paid 25€ and it works perfectly.... just check the length to be right because it may effect the resistans Ω of the sensor...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:39:03 AM by Metzis » Logged
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2015, 05:34:36 PM »

If you want new vacuum lines for your carby Monster, these are perfect in every way;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171180079400

Same inside and outside diameter as OE. Not sure how long they'll last, but I stocked up on several.

And yeah I know you can get regular hose at any old Auto Parts store, but having the perfect metric size is nice IMO, and metric hose is difficult to find in the U.S.

Nibor

insanity far outweighs horsepower

« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2015, 05:14:21 AM »

shame they'll cost me 800% of the item price in postage!  Tongue
ajw85

« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2016, 07:34:04 AM »

Complete headlight sans bucket:

http://www.headlightbmwmotorcycle.com/Product_description.html

Same as the eBay seller; "Superrjerrk". Nice guy too, helped me out with some ? about spring clips and assembly despite the fact I wasn't buying anything from him.

He also sells the chrome ring, spring clips, gasket, reflector etc separately.

Spring clips only, check this out:

http://www.eisparts.com/111941125/Clip+Spring+Set,Headlight+Bucket,+All+Bug+%26+Bus.html

Don't think they are a match but I'm sure they could be tweaked to work.

Turn signal relay/flasher:

Norvita EP35, $12. It's also LED compatible so no need for resistors when using LED's.

Spark plug wires:

NGK CR5 8515 premium wire set:

http://summerlandautosport.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=2483

$14.79, which is by far the cheapest I found anywhere else. Next closest was $18 and most placed charged over $20. VG wires too.

Is there any place to buy the NGK CR5 wires in a store? Or alternative?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 08:31:35 AM by ajw85 » Logged
kpdiamond

« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2016, 11:04:26 AM »

Many Duc throttle bodies use this Fuel Pressure Regulator  #  283.4.003.1A         priced @ $155

This is a direct replacement, Weber 3.0 bar....  $65

https://www.powersportparts.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=4096813

I verify that it works!!

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2016, 12:55:04 PM »

waytogo thanks

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »

OE style side-outlet fuel fiter for carbureted bikes:

WIX 33087 - has 5/16" inlet and outlet

Automotive application '71-'88 Dodge Colt/Challenger, '83-'89 Mitsubishi
Comprehensive application list here: http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartApplications.aspx?Part=33087

Similar filter:

WIX 33053 - has 1/4" inlet and outlet

Automotive application '67-'87 Nissan, '76-'77 Toyota
Comprehensive application list here: http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartApplications.aspx?Part=33053

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
skankybeans

« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2017, 07:23:05 PM »

Any idea where to get cheaper oil delivery/return pipes for S2R?

Part #s:
  • 875.1.053.1A
  • 875.1.052.1A

Both of these would equal about $300 which seems a bit insane...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: