Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 01:11:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help - S2R 1000 fuel pump issues  (Read 9001 times)
K3V1N

« on: September 25, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »

I was all packed for 4 days of camping this morning and my fuel pump won't prime or pump I'm so bummed.

So far I have pulled the pump and tested everything I can but I'm stuck and need some ideas. thanks in advance for any feedback.

To start with I should say that I replaced the fuel filter a month ago but the bike ran fine after. I rode the bike 60 miles yesterday but last night I was using a meter to test for a AC on source to wire an a relay for my powered tank bag. I have removed all extra wires, now I'm worried could have messed something up I was testing the main and fuel relay wires. Or maybe raising the tank a bunch of times upset something with the fuel pump assembly?

BUT having said that I do seem to have power right at the pump as you can see in the video attached.

When the keys turned to the on position i can feel the fuel relay click and I get the Prime 12v, then the voltage falls off till I crank the bike and I see around 10v. This is testing the red and black wires in the pump side of the connector that attaches right to the pump.

When I connect the fuel pump from the battery it turns right on.

I'm not sure how I can have power at the pump but when connected the pump does nothing.

I'm really hoping I can fix this to save part of my trip. thank you for any help!!!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:21:29 AM by K3V1N » Logged
K3V1N

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »

So after a lot of messing around I think it might be the ground connection when it enters the assembly.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 12:08:04 PM »

You can dig out the epoxy and re-solder the wires in that connector, and the re-epoxy, or Speeddog posted the part number for a replacement wiring assembly here...

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=68789.msg1272044#msg1272044

good luck.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

K3V1N

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »

Thanks, I'm kind of stumped again. I pulled the assembly apart and can't seem to recreate the issues I was seeing wiggling the wires when it was assembled. I found some Permatex stuff at the auto store that is like JB but says it is ethanol resistant. But I don't know if I should mess with the wires now.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 03:56:51 PM »

It's a pretty common issue, and you won't be happy if you find yourself on the side of the road in the middle of a 4 day trip.

Your call.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

K3V1N

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »

Yeah, I'm going to repair it just incase and then test everything again. I just didn't want to pull those wires apart if it could be something else effecting the ground wire. But you are right now I'll never really trust them.

I can jump the power from the connecter to the pump, then ground to the motor at the head stud and everything works as it should.

Then if I add direct ground to that same ground wire at the plug under the assembly nothing. At that point I checked continuity and I swear that when I wiggled the red and black wire it was interrupting the connection

but now that it is just the wires and the plug I can't recreate it.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:09:14 AM by K3V1N » Logged
K3V1N

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 04:49:59 PM »

Update! I ordered the fuel assembly wiring harness then took my 72 CB500f on the trip. I'll report back once I have installed and tested the new harness. Thanks again
K3V1N

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 09:08:26 AM »

Update on my fuel pump issues and I could use a little more advice.

First up, only one of the wires were still really connected to the posts in the epoxy. They just fell out once the epoxy was gone.

Here is the part I need some help with. The new harness doesn't have the extra ground wire on it.

Should I take the connector apart and add it? Should I splice it into the pump ground wire? Or do I not even need it?
K3V1N

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 11:38:50 AM »

The part I ordered was (  Ducati OEM WIRE, FUEL PUMP, 51020032A )
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 11:59:35 AM »

I'd splice one in, just for peace of mind.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
K3V1N

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 05:52:30 AM »

Update - installing  Ducati OEM WIRE, FUEL PUMP, 51020032A on a 07 Ducati Monster S2R 1000

SO after Speeddogs advice on adding the wires and talking to Steve at (ECS - European Cycle Services) about my options for attaching the extra wire. ECS is awesome by the way if you live around NY.

Now that everything is back together and working as it should I wanted to post some photos to help the next person.

Stripping the ground wire to the pump

Attaching extra ground wire for fuel filter location and pressure regulator

Soldering

reassembling the pump

Thanks for all the help from the forum as I worked through this. The bike had what seemed to be a odd electrical issue that I had been trying to hunt down prior to this complete failure. I can't wait to get out and do some riding before the snow.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: