Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 09:54:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cager hit my parked bike, left the scene, now the clutch doesn't engage  (Read 1759 times)
Wzed

« on: October 12, 2014, 02:04:15 PM »

Someone hit my parked bike, then left the scene.  The bike was knocked over (a witness told me they picked it up off the street, then left), and when I try to engage the clutch, the clutch pull is really light and nothing happens.  I checked the banjo bolt (is that what it's called?  The bolt with a hole in it that the clutch line attaches to), and it was loose, and while there was still clutch fluid in the reservoir, I think a lot of it leaked out (at least I hope so, because if that's not the problem, then I have no idea what is).  I don't think the bolt is damaged, I think it just got loosened.  At this point, I've removed the master cylinder from the bike and the clutch line.  How do I change the fluid?  I assume I just fill the reservoir and pump the clutch, but does it need to be blend like a brake line?  If so, how do I do that?  It's a Berringer MC with an integrated reservoir, and it's got a nipple next to the reservoir with a rubber cap - is that where I bleed it?  

Thanks for any help!  

PS.  The witness said the car had a license plate holder advertising a rental car company, but couldn't make out which company.  The guy who hit my bike actually asked the witness to help him pick the bike up!  I'll be calling around rental car places tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful - they aren't going to be motivated to help me.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:27:58 PM by Wzed » Logged
HotIce

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 02:21:45 PM »

I always use the "pull" method (with a mityvac), instead of a "push" with levers.
I open the reservoir and such all the old fluid down from the slave nipple.
Then fill the reservoir, and pull, making sure there always is enough fluid in it to avoid air getting sucked.
Similar for air bleeding, but stop when air is gone (and re-filling to compensate the fluid coming out), and not when all fluid is flushed.
Wzed

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 02:41:21 PM »

If I don't have access to a mityvac, what could I do?  It was parked at work, so I only have basic tools to work with.  I just need to get it so that it's safely ridable to my local shop (about four miles away, but through city traffic).  If I fill the reservoir and open the slave bleed valve, will it work if I just keep filling the reservoir and actuating the lever until fluid squirts out of the bleed nipple on the slave? 
TitanMonsterS4R

Yup, it's supposed to sound like that....

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 07:00:26 AM »

If I don't have access to a mityvac, what could I do?  It was parked at work, so I only have basic tools to work with.  I just need to get it so that it's safely ridable to my local shop (about four miles away, but through city traffic).  If I fill the reservoir and open the slave bleed valve, will it work if I just keep filling the reservoir and actuating the lever until fluid squirts out of the bleed nipple on the slave? 

You could do that but whe nmy bike was recently knocked over and I bled from the slave, the thing you have to remember is that actuating the lever and letting clutch fluid leak all over the slave isnt going to make you happy and if not properly cleaned will eat whatever paint it's close to. That slave nipple also lets in air in my experience so it might not work. You'll also need to bleed from the master as well to make sure there's no air in there as well.

I know you don't have all the tools but a quick trip to an automotive store might have the stuff you need for a quick bleed. Last thing you want is to mess up your clutch or get it stuck in a gear while trying to get to the local shop.

Could they also do you a solid since you're so close and get your bike to the shop?

06 Monster S4R - Red/Black Final Edition
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 07:16:05 AM »

You could do that but whe nmy bike was recently knocked over and I bled from the slave, the thing you have to remember is that actuating the lever and letting clutch fluid leak all over the slave isnt going to make you happy and if not properly cleaned will eat whatever paint it's close to. That slave nipple also lets in air in my experience so it might not work. You'll also need to bleed from the master as well to make sure there's no air in there as well.

I know you don't have all the tools but a quick trip to an automotive store might have the stuff you need for a quick bleed. Last thing you want is to mess up your clutch or get it stuck in a gear while trying to get to the local shop.

Could they also do you a solid since you're so close and get your bike to the shop?

A piece of clear hose on the bleeder and a clear container will solve the mess problem.  With the master as level as possible, squeeze lever, hold, open bleeder, close, release lever.  wash, rinse, repeat.  Thios shpuld work well enough to get you home.
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 09:18:05 AM »

When I needed to bleed my clutch the standard proceedure wasn't working for some reason, I hooked up a MityVac and was done in a couple of minutes. They are definatly a good bang for buck, in my experience.

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: