Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 02:04:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tank bag advice  (Read 11135 times)
blalor

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 05:44:46 AM »

I bought a Cortech Super 2.0 18-Liter strap-mounted tank bag from a local shop this weekend for my S2R.  It's *awful*.  The bag itself is ok but the base that you strap to the bike is hideous and needs to be removed to fill the tank.  That's going back and I ordered the small Nelson-Rigg bag, which looks much nicer and is still cheap ($53 from Amazon).  If that doesn't work well, I'll probably go for the Wolfman (at 3x the price).

Man, I miss the tank on my 1st-gen SV650.  In addition to not swelling, the small Tourmaster magnetic bag I had was awesomely simple and easy to use.  Straps suck. :-(
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 06:13:13 AM »

Givi and SW-motech have bags that mount on a ring attached to the gas cap.  More ugly than magnets, but less ugly and annoying than straps.  The Givi tankloc is relatively unobtrusive without the bag on.

blalor

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 07:44:19 AM »

I looked at those (online) and wasn't impressed.  They're both much more expensive than magnetic or strap bags.  Instructions for some of the SW-Motech tank bags (possibly an old version) require drilling holes in the bag to match the tank plate.  Both of them seem to perch rather awkwardly on the tank, almost like they're hovering.  And the Givi have a non-removable strap that you're supposed to use to secure the tank to the bike.  It doesn't even appear that the strap can be tucked into the bag when you're carrying it off the bike.  Granted I haven't seen them in person, but those were all reasons I opted not to buy one.
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 07:56:58 AM »

I had forgotten about that strap.  I don't use it, and had rolled it up at the front out of the way.  I would cut it off if it offended me as I judge it to be unnecessary.

It is a little visually distracting when viewed from the side on the Monster tank... but I don't spend a lot of time looking at my bike from that view with the tank bag installed, and I swapped for an ST tank that has a flatter top.

You mentioned spending ~150 on the Wolfman, that puts you in the price range.

blalor

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 08:16:36 AM »

I've ordered a Nelson-Rigg bag from Amazon for $53 shipped. If I'm not happy with that, I'll probably go with the Wolfman, but I'll take another look at the Givi.
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 06:06:25 PM »

I have a tankloc bag that I used with my M1100S and was quite satisfied with it. I have tried others and the Givi was the best functional unit. I now use it with a homemade tail platform on my Bimota. For a tank bag  on the Bimota I use an Eclipse Tankbag and it works really well, especially with thicker straps. I couldn't use the Givi on the 'Mota as they do not make a mount for the tank.

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 07:20:25 AM »

Givi and SW-motech have bags that mount on a ring attached to the gas cap.  More ugly than magnets, but less ugly and annoying than straps.  The Givi tankloc is relatively unobtrusive without the bag on.

I have the electrified SW-Motech version.  Will never use anything else.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: