Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 07:09:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tank bag advice  (Read 11275 times)
goog

« on: August 17, 2014, 05:29:25 PM »

Hey All,
Looking to get a good tank bag, and have been doing some research and gone to a couple shops.  I saw in someone's blog a while back that they took off the tank cowling, fastened some magnets to the shell, and pesto, now magnetic bags are an option.  I don't think I want to go to that trouble at this point.  For strapped bags, I have not seen one that straps real nicely / neatly into a Monster (696).  Anyone have one, on the larger side that works really well?  Looking for some suggestions.  Thanks.  In the meantime I will look through older posts on this question.

##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##

Red Bull for breakfast, Rockstar for lunch, Monster for Dinner,
supplemented with coffee throughout the day
lazylightnin717

we used to play for silver, now we play for life

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 05:59:53 PM »

Nelson Rigg has several options that work very well.

I have one of their expandable tank bags with the magnetic attachment. I love it. The magnets were strong enough that they eventually ripped through after 2+ years of use and they replaced them..no questions asked..with an updated version. They definitely stand behind their product.

The bag has quick release clips that can accommodate any of the three attachment options should I choose to go a different route in the future.

Great product and terrific customer service  waytogo

Comes a time
When the blind man takes your hand
Says don't you see
Gotta' make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 06:56:45 PM »

I used a Tankloc bag from Givi on my M1100S Monster and really liked it. Quick and easy on and off, expandable with good capacity, and now that I have a different bike it is available with the mounting hardware for a good price! Like new condition as well. And it doesn't touch the paint!

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 03:55:43 AM »

Hard to beat the clickloc stuff.  I run SW-Motec bags and have nothing but great stuff to say about them.  I use the day pack version on the tank and can fit my heated jacket and my cold gloves, sunglasses, wallet, phone keys and visor cleaner when fully expanded.

If I don't expand it the little thing easily fits all the above stuff I just change the heated jacket for a wind block layer (perfed leathers).  

The tail pack hold enough for three days travel.  

Had to add:  With the tiny gas tank it is real nice to be able to pull on a string and detach the bag.  It also comes with a locking pin and the zippers will lock together as well.  Does not stop a knife but it does stop a quick grab and run.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:07:22 AM by Skybarney » Logged

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
picard
Ogre

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:43:06 AM »

+1
I have the SW Motech Engage tank bag for everyday and the Trial when I need more space. Easy to lock and unlock, and to swap between bikes.
bob795

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 07:45:45 PM »

I have Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag and really like it. It's a 13 L bag expendable to 16 L

I bought to be used on my TE630, but I often use it on my Monster... and I think it fits my monster better due to the bag's flat and wide bottom that sits well on the Monster wide tank (the TE630 tank is narrow).

2011 Husqvarna TE 630
2012 Monster 795
2002 Sportster 883/1200 (sold)
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:17:42 PM »

I've had the Ducati Performance bag for a few years now and use it quite a bit when commuting on my bike.  It takes a little time to mount it on the bike and remove it but it conforms to the shape of the tank and fits tightly.  I've never had any issue with it damaging the paint despite many thousands of miles.  Refueling isn't too much of a PITA, just unclip the rear strap and lift the bag up enough to get at the fuel filler cap.

I have the DP rear seat cowl bag too but having that on there makes swinging a leg over impossible so I kind of favor the tank bag.  Haven't gone anywhere where I needed the storage capacity of both bags but it's nice to know I could if I wanted to.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
seevtsaab

05 M620

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 04:59:37 PM »

Nelson Rigg has several options that work very well.

I have one of their expandable tank bags with the magnetic attachment. I love it. The magnets were strong enough that they eventually ripped through after 2+ years of use and they replaced them..no questions asked..with an updated version. They definitely stand behind their product.

The bag has quick release clips that can accommodate any of the three attachment options should I choose to go a different route in the future.

Great product and terrific customer service  waytogo

I probably have the same Nelson Rigg expandable and I use it all the time. I carry my rainsuit almost every day, lunch and all kinds of misc shit.
Bigger is better, it's a bit overwhelming when expanded but that feature allows overstuffing, zip closed and I can usually 'unexpand' the bottom zipper portion to keep it from being too tall. Held up amazingly well, includes shoulder strap to carry.
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 09:23:35 PM »

I've got a Givi tankloc.  I mostly like it, but for some reason it comes with a bunch of extra strapping that doesn't tuck away anywhere useful.  Lots of room.

I used a cheap strappy type before.  Nothing wrong with it except the sun beat the unholy hell out of the fabric.

I picked the biggest Givi I could find on the interwebs, so had to order it from Italy as it wasn't available from US merchants at the time.  It came in a reasonable amount of time, but I didn't order it in August.

goog

Re:
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 06:52:58 AM »

Thanks guys, so much great information.  I am looking these all up.  There are a couple of Nelson Rigg models I am considering, but will continue to look

##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##  ##

Red Bull for breakfast, Rockstar for lunch, Monster for Dinner,
supplemented with coffee throughout the day
danaid

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 08:23:23 PM »

I use these two Nelson Rigg bags. The bags are nice and comparable with other brands I looked at. The only issue I have with them are the very flimsy attaching buckles that are used. I broke a set simply tightening the bag down. Customer service replaced the straps quickly but I feel the straps that come with the bags are not adequate. There are other optional straps that are available but I might just try out a Kriega bag instead.

I mostly use the one on the rear, which is a bit larger.

11' 1198SP  Black
09' 1100S    Red
09'     696.   Red   first Ducati (sold)
bdub

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 06:10:29 AM »

I've got  a Wolfman explorer lite also.... I think it is the best looking of all.
But I'm biased.

2005 900ie
now with mivv s'

Y2K  M900 ie  totaled  10/09/08
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »

I installed the SW Motech tank bag before trips to Colorado and Rhode Island.  I wished I'd have gotten it years earlier -- fantastic bag.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
cbcanada

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 02:49:06 AM »

Good info here
djomlas
Full fairings back on road

Ciao Marco

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 08:09:20 AM »

i got one of those that just twists on to the base thats secured with bolts to the gas cap
heres some pics, sorry they are all iPhone pics but you get the idea.
bag is expandable as well, and when its off the bike the base plate is not terribly bad looking, but i found that i don't use it as much as i thought as i would so for the time being its off the bike.
on my other bikes i use a magnetic one, but w plastic tank i can't use it on s2r

S2R
Rizoma rearsets, full Zard CF dual exhaust, Rizoma clipons, Sargent seat, 999 shock, golden brembo calipers/rotors upgrade,adjustable levers and billet grips, some CF (belt covers, heel guards, chain guard sprocket cover, fender, bellypan), integrated R6 tail light, bar end mirrors
other bikes in garage: 08 hayabusa, 06 hayabusa, 07 zx14, 07 r6, k6 gsxr1000, r1, 08 zx6r, triumph speed triple,2 vespas and a ruckus, its an obsession
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: