Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 09:29:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for new gloves - What are you wearing?  (Read 28693 times)
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« on: July 05, 2014, 05:11:09 PM »

Thinking of buying some Held Phantom 2 gloves or something similar.  Love the combination of kangaroo and stingray that they use and the glove looks extremely well made.  They also look to flow some air.

What are you guys riding these days?

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 05:48:35 PM »

I've worn Helds for some time.

I think the one's I have are the 'Steve' model.

You might need to try on more than oone pair of the same size.

They vary.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

1.21GW

bikeless

Re:
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 08:39:51 PM »

I bought Held Evo Thrux this year and like 'em much more than my previous Rev'it pair (don't know model). The kangaroo skin is nice and when I go back to the rev'its on a rare occasion I can really notice how thick and bulky they feel.

Held has longer fingers than most brands, which for me is great.  Like them enough that i'm going to order their Sambia short cuff gloves soon.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 08:25:31 AM »

As a non-track rider, I'm rocking the new REV'IT! Strikers. I love everything about them... Slightly padded palm, minimal styling, hard knuckle that has SOME flex, breathable, and even a bit of a cuff. They are perfect for my type of riding, and don't make me look like a gixxer racer boy.

Also have a well-designed smart phone compatible index finger and thumb... that actually WORK.
Note that since this picture was taken, the smartphone fingers have been redesigned... they electro material is now on the TIP of the finger, in between the seems, rather than on the pad of the finger tip.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-striker-gloves

I have a pair of a* gp-plus gloves for very spirited riding days.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
oldndumb

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 11:52:58 AM »

Wasn't there some recent interweb items to the fact that the U.S. Held distributor was no longer going to handle them? Seems that their with their popularity and reputation there would be no problem signing up a new distributor. My dealer no longer carries them, but he relies heavily on one supply house and rarely varies from it.

My gloves of choice are Dainese, AlpineStar, and Ducati factory store, in that order.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 12:10:16 PM »

Wasn't there some recent interweb items to the fact that the U.S. Held distributor was no longer going to handle them? Seems that their with their popularity and reputation there would be no problem signing up a new distributor. My dealer no longer carries them, but he relies heavily on one supply house and rarely varies from it.

My gloves of choice are Dainese, AlpineStar, and Ducati factory store, in that order.

Yes, I've also heard they lost or ended their relationship with their US distributor and are currently looking for a new distributor and so there has been some trouble getting gear not held in stock.  I order most of my gear from Revzilla, which still carries Held, and I've found their sales folks to be knowledgeable and current on what the Held situation is (i.e. their ability to get what they didn't have in stock and sense of timing).

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ab
ab

ab

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »

Helimot - great gloves

And a dianese

Make sure to get full gauntlet.  I have seen riders lose the small gloves during a wreck. Useless.

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
Skybarney
Fako

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 07:42:24 PM »

Think I have decided on some Dainese Druids ST gloves.  At least looking online at options those seem to be a good balance of street-able and protective.  I can try them on and that is always a better choice than mail order.  Especially as I just blew a hole in the fingertip of my Alpinestars GP2's

I don't ride without full gauntlet gloves, not ever.

Mundman

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 10:55:04 AM »

I wear Held Titan gloves and they are amazing!

'12 Ducati 1199 tri
'10 KTM 990 SuperMoto 990
'02 HD Heritage Springer
'94 Honda Nighthawk 250
Assorted Tonka and Corgi vehicles
ChrisK

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 01:05:28 PM »

I've got the Roland Sands Design Barfly gloves for street duty. They have been awesome. Good for transitioning from cool spring riding, to hot summer, and back again in the fall. Look discreet, super comfortable, great quality.

1998 M900
2007 CBR600RR Track Bike
1982 Virago 920 Cafe/Fighter Project
1980 Lambretta Moped
Supra Boats enthusiast

"There is no minimum."  - some guy.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 02:01:43 PM »

I've got the Roland Sands Design Barfly gloves for street duty. They have been awesome. Good for transitioning from cool spring riding, to hot summer, and back again in the fall. Look discreet, super comfortable, great quality.

Hmm.  I have a RS jacket which is nicely made and I enjoy it quite a bit.  However, when I looked at their gloves online they seemed to be light on protection and functionality.  I can't quite tell from the site, but do those gloves have any hard protection on the knuckles or anywhere?  Also, how is the airflow?

Lucumon

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »

I have a set of RSD Diesel gloves - all leather but no hardpoints.  I prefer my Icon Overlord Shorts despite the ugliness because (1) Seems: the RS gloves have a seem that can be annoyingly felt between your ring and pinkie fingers whereas the Icon seems are on the outside and not between knuckles (2) the Kangaroo palm on the Icon Overlords is pretty comfy... where as I think I need to put in a few hundred miles with the RSD Diesel pair for them to get comfortable.

1980 Honda CMT 400 - Sold
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo
ChrisK

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 08:52:59 AM »

Hmm.  I have a RS jacket which is nicely made and I enjoy it quite a bit.  However, when I looked at their gloves online they seemed to be light on protection and functionality.  I can't quite tell from the site, but do those gloves have any hard protection on the knuckles or anywhere?  Also, how is the airflow?

No hard protection, wasn't a deal breaker when I was buying my street/commuting gloves. Airflow is decent. As I stated, I use them pretty much all riding season long. From 30 degrees F, up to 90, and all the way back down. Are they the most breathable in hot conditions? No. Are they the most insulated? No. I just find that they do a lot of things well.

1998 M900
2007 CBR600RR Track Bike
1980 Lambretta Moped
Supra Boats enthusiast

Skybarney
Fako

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 08:58:54 AM »

I once broke a hand in a pair of old school Fieldsheer gloves (metal studs for palm sliders) in a 35mph low side.   Back of my hand hit the pavement so hard it broke all four fingers.  The gloves had a little bit of padding on the knuckles but not even close to enough.

Now it is full gauntlet with lots of protection every time I ride.  Can't quite buy into the $350.00 top of the line racing gloves as they are more than I think is needed for the street.  However one step down from that seems about right.

Thankfully I only ride for fun so it is pretty easy to avoid high heat and weather.

ChrisK

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »

You can make an argument for wearing full hockey gear underneath a full leather suit every time you ride. I'm just saying that the Barfly's have been the perfect solution for what I was looking for, and the risk I'm willing to take when I ride. When I was buying my criteria was: all black, short cuff (easy to pull on and off and stuff in a pocket), decent price, multi-season, leather, well made, and comfortable. They've been all of that.

1998 M900
2007 CBR600RR Track Bike
1980 Lambretta Moped
Supra Boats enthusiast

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: