Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 03:44:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW TO: Install SpeedHealer  (Read 4719 times)
StephenC

« on: July 03, 2014, 05:46:57 PM »

I've just installed a HealTech SpeedHealer, as I was getting annoyed with riding at the speed limit and have everybody else overtake me!  I don't need my bike to nanny me and overestimate my speed.

The kit.  It also includes a few zip-ties and a remote cable (for displaying the top speed you have reached), which I didn't want to use.

You need to locate the speedo cable.  This is the pick-up, on the rear brake rotor:

Follow the cable to the connector, located behind the rear brake peddle on my Monster:

The other, smaller, connector (out of view in the photo) is the brake light - leave it alone.

Detach the connection and test you have the right one by switching the bike on and spinning the rear wheel.  If you have detached the speedo cable the speedometer should remain at zero.  You can now switch off the ignition and connect the SpeedHealer cable - one goes onto the male part of the detached cable and the other end of the 'Y' to the female part.  You can't really get this wrong.

You can tidy the connectors back away and route your cable to where you are going to hide the box.

I was going to put the box under the seat but that took the cable right against the exhaust, which didn't seem like a good idea.  In the end I ran the cable along with existing ones, behind a little guard, above the clutch:

This meant the cable wasn't long enough to reach the seat so I ended up sticking it to the side of the airbox, tucked behind the frame.  It comes with a sticky velcro patch.

You can just see it sticking out in the middle of the photo and can still get to the buttons to program it.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 08:47:40 PM by StephenC » Logged

Ducati Monster 1100S (2009)
StephenC

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:59:23 PM »

Programming it is pretty easy.  The HaelTech website has an online calculator and generates an instruction sheet:

I had used an App on my phone, mounted to the handlebars, to compare the speedo reading with GPS reading whilst riding at various speeds.  I therefore used the 'Precise' method on the HealTech site.  They have a section where you can put gear ratios and sprocket sizes in but I gather that doesn't affect the reading on our bikes as the pick-up is on the wheel, not the crank.

There are two modes, which can be set separately, I guess one for the road and one for the track.  I'm using the second as 'Factory Setting'.  The second cable goes from the SpeedHealer box to somewhere on your switchgear and causes the top speed you reached to briefly show on your speedo (instead of the speed).

My Speedo should now be accurate, though I gather the odometer may slightly (9.1% in my case) underestimate.  I can't test it today as I'm minding the child (blooming School Holidays!), but will post when I have had a chance to test it.  At idle the speed comes down from 14kph to 11kph, which sounds about right..  It works perfectly and now displays an accurate speed, as compared to GPS speedo.

HealTech's website: http://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:13:47 PM by StephenC » Logged

Ohm3d

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 05:38:04 PM »

nice write up... I think I will also try this out. How did you determine that it was wrong in the first place?
StephenC

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 02:58:05 AM »

Firstly because I was always being overtaken whilst sticking to the speed limit.  I then tested by downloading a GPS speedo app to my phone, clipping the phone to my bike and riding steadily in a straight line.  This was how I determined the correction factor.  I then checked the new speed, doing the same thing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: