Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 11:32:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: GuzziDiag/Tunerpro for Ducs  (Read 59672 times)
JohnEE
Why not

« on: May 25, 2014, 04:47:27 AM »

With the not so recent demise of DucatiDiag(DD) and having bought a new bike that needed ECU work i though i was out of luck. But alas GuzziDiag(GD) came to the rescue. It uses the same OBD II cable and drivers that DD does. I'm not going to get into making sure you cable is correct, that was done here. GD only works with IAW5 and IAW15 ECUs do a quick google search to determine what your bike is running. Try searching here first.

Link to GD page with everything needed.

Now after downloading and unzipping GD you can run it. GD being a tool for Guzzis were are just going to have pick a guzzi bike with the same ECU as our bikes. I picked the Breva 1100 being that my S2R1000 has a IAW 5 ECU

That is really the only explanation needed. The software is pretty straightforward. I've only tested the TPS reset function and it seemed to work. Also of note is that there is JP Diag that is DD without all the legal trouble. Download JP diag here. I haven't had a chance/need to download it. But it is the same as the old DD from the looks of the screen shots. Now on the fun part...

The real reason to use GD is the IAW5x/IAW15x ECU writers and readers. They can read and write .bin files which are basically registry tables where the ecu looks up specific running parameters. To make sense of the .bin file you need to use TunerPro(TP). TP uses an .xdf file to translate the .bin file into something that is actually useful. The .xdf files are ECU/Bike specific(to the best of my knowledge). These are the xdf files available from GD page.

TP also has an .xdf for IAW 15x bikes at the bottom of this page.

I wanted to disable the lambda sensor on my bike. So I downloaded and ran the IAW 5x reader. It takes around 15 minutes.

Which gave me a .bin file to work with. I opened up the xdf first in TP then the bin file. TP then looks like this. *NOTE* As mentioned in this thread, I was using the wrong XDF with my bin files so take the following images with a grain of salt. Basic steps still apply. Match your BIN and XDF ( Stock ECU and DP ECU XDFs may not be not the same!), I was using the S2R 1K DP xdf which is differn't from the stock S2R 1000 Map.

You'll see multiple tables on the left which you can play with if you are confident in the xdf mask. I only cared about two, the lambda 1/2 on/off settings.

I'm playing with my already edited .bin file so both the set boxes are already unchecked (lambda off). Now you would make the changes you wanted and "save as" the .bin file so you have a backup of your original settings. Also GD writes a little ECU.bin .txt file that relays information about the bin to the IAW 5x writer. I just copied the one GD made and changed the file name to match my edited ecu and I also edited one part of the contents so i could distinguish the two in GD.

No just open up the new .bin in the IAW 5x writer. You can see where i edited the text file here (Tester: DUC wo Lambda).

Then click write and that's pretty much all there is to it.

To test out if it worked I just unplugged my Lambda sensor and went for a ride. The maintenance light didn't come on (was coming on intermittently with the Duc.EE installed). My bike runs like butter now at lower RPM. Donate to the GD author if you end up using his/her programs. That is all, be careful playing with the tables and good luck!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:08:00 AM by JohnEE » Logged

xsephirot

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 03:50:08 PM »

Thanks for the writeup John! Were you able to disable the immobilizer?
thorn14

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 04:09:50 PM »

I have a 5.9M ecu (woe is me) and it'll let the tps be reset and otherwise but not use the read/write program.

M620 turned M800 but then back to M620 after the M800 died at 110k, and now to Multi 1000.
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 05:40:42 AM »

Thanks for the writeup John! Were you able to disable the immobilizer?
Not yet. I'll have to dig around in the bin file to find the table. If i could get my hands on a .bin with one already disabled it should be pretty easy to compare the two. I need to do this actually, i want to swap out my gauges.

tuxicle

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 07:35:05 PM »

I managed to download the .bin file for my 695. Any ideas about where to find a .xdf file? I tried the S2R800 XDF, most of the maps make sense, but it reports two Lambda sensors. I think the 695 has only one.

2008 M695
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 05:44:22 AM »

My S2R1k also only has one lambda but you need you to turn both off.

tuxicle

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 07:01:32 PM »

I think Lambda 1 actually controls the immobilizer. I did a compare between two bin files from an immo disabled to stock, and this was the only difference. On the 695, this is at offset 0x4D144.

2008 M695
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 03:54:01 AM »

Disable it and lets us know if your bike starts with the gauges unplugged.

Metzis

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 03:38:29 AM »

Hey guys is there anyone successfully use this program on a 996 s4r ?
tuxicle

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 08:42:22 PM »

Disable it and lets us know if your bike starts with the gauges unplugged.
Is there an easier way? I struggled to get the gauge connector off, but was unable. Will try again this weekend with the headlight off. BTW, the 695 DP map makes the bike so much smoother!

2008 M695
impulsive_duc

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 06:32:52 AM »

Which gave me a .bin file to work with. I opened up the xdf first in TP then the bin file. TP then looks like this.

WARNING: From the image posted, your XDF is inappropriate for your BIN and you will corrupt your ECU firmware by editing values randomly.

I say this because your fuel map is misaligned. You can tell by the abrupt changes in values -- an improperly aligned table looks like a TV with part of the image cut off the top, and sticking up from the bottom. That is exactly what I see in your image. Graphing the map by clicking the "graph" icon will show abrupt changes in the fuel map demonstrating this.

Another indicator is your TPS values (the X-coordinate in the top row of the table) are garbage. They go from 15 to 0 to 100 randomly. They SHOULD go from around 3-degrees to 89-degrees in a linear fashion.

Each ECU Ducati makes is slightly different, and has the maps stored at different "offsets".
I have found it is safer to pair a single XDF with a single Ducati ECU model number. A single bike may have multiple ECU models numbers. They are usually printed on two paper stickers on the ECU, with additional information on foil stickers beneath them.
Furthermore, the XDF needs to be VALIDATED by someone who knows what they are doing.

However, sometimes even this varies due to Italian coding.
Creating XDF's is a bit of an art and is very time consuming. People such as me do it on a case-by-case basis.
Most others also (usually) PASSWORD-PROTECT their XDF file to prevent others from stealing their work. So (usually) you cannot correct the XDF yourself, and have to work from scratch.

Bernd, Pauldaytona, and myself are exceptions. We share our work openly. In fact, the SportClassic maps on GuzziDiag are the ones I developed in conjunction with Pauldaytona.

You'll see multiple tables on the left which you can play with if you are confident in the xdf mask. I only cared about two, the lambda 1/2 on/off settings.

If the maps are mis-located, the Lambda setting will also be mis-located. You are changing random numbers in the firmware.

To test out if it worked I just unplugged my Lambda sensor and went for a ride. The maintenance light didn't come on (was coming on intermittently with the Duc.EE installed). My bike runs like butter now at lower RPM. Donate to the GD author if you end up using his/her programs. That is all, be careful playing with the tables and good luck!

I strongly suspect your evaluation was "placebo effect". The narrowband sensor probably went into error-fault mode due to not receiving a signal.

Please send me your BIN and a picture of the top and bottom stickers on your ECU and I will try to tell you which XDF is appropriate, or perhaps create a new one if necessary.

An an aside, I need to compile a database of ECU firmwares if I am to assist in making XDFs for them.

Upload a ZIP at this link containing: (1) your firmware BIN (2) a .TXT describing your bike/ECU (3) photos of the top and bottom of your ECU's PAPER stickers and (4) the LOG files GuzziDiag makes
http://dbinbox.com/Impulsive_Duc

If I have time, I will construct an appropriate XDF for any BINs placed there (that follow instructions!!) and host it in this folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/20hb4nqnxjqqbbw/AAAv6gjgypsWrCjm4yp-A2F9a
xsephirot

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 10:38:35 AM »

Please send me your BIN and a picture of the top and bottom stickers on your ECU and I will try to tell you which XDF is appropriate, or perhaps create a new one if necessary.

An an aside, I need to compile a database of ECU firmwares if I am to assist in making XDFs for them.

Upload a ZIP at this link containing: (1) your firmware BIN (2) a .TXT describing your bike/ECU (3) photos of the top and bottom of your ECU's PAPER stickers and (4) the LOG files GuzziDiag makes
http://dbinbox.com/Impulsive_Duc

If I have time, I will construct an appropriate XDF for any BINs placed there (that follow instructions!!) and host it in this folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/20hb4nqnxjqqbbw/AAAv6gjgypsWrCjm4yp-A2F9a

Dude, thank you for the valuable information and offer with the XDF! I suspect you are saving many of us from bricking our ECUs.
klausl

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 01:44:37 AM »

Hey guys!
Im the austian guy and want to "play" with my sparepart ECU.
Does anyone have a .bin file from a Ducati Performance ECU from a M1000 or S2R1000?
This can be done with the reader from guzzidialog.
Thanks a lot,
Klaus
impulsive_duc

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 10:58:29 AM »

Klaus, can you be a little bit more specific about your map?
"BIN begging" is usually frowned upon.
You typically share a copy of your stock bin before asking others for theirs.

It has come to my attention certain motorcycle shops are approaching me as individuals here on the forum.
They are then taking advantage the help I (and others) provide in order to charge people, and are proceeding to claim the work as their own.
Additionally, they do not share the source of the information.

• I received permission from GuzziDiag and Pauldaytona to adapt their XDFs, with the understanding their attribution is credited and it is not sold. (CC: BY NC)
    I additionally add (CC: SA) to anything I make.
  • Meaning if it comes through me: (1) you cannot sell it, or anything derived from it, (2) you have to share anything derived from it in return, and (3) you have to include attribution of everyone before you.
  • (The source firmwares fall under "automotive repair" and I do not retain any ownership rights. DERIVATIVE WORKS, however, do -- meaning if you edit in our XDFs)

Just so it is clear: don't be a dick.
If I catch another business profiting off of the community's hard work I will cease providing support altogether.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:04:11 AM by impulsive_duc » Logged
thorn14

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 12:58:30 PM »

No one screw this up before Guzzidiag hopefully supports 5.9M ecus.

M620 turned M800 but then back to M620 after the M800 died at 110k, and now to Multi 1000.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: