Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 03, 2024, 03:55:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to talk about our old mate again.....coffee  (Read 4047 times)
techno

« on: May 21, 2014, 02:53:01 AM »

I know there are a few coffee aficionados on here (or at least there used to be) so I am looking for some help.

For the last few years I have been pulling espressos from a little sunbeam machine. I have just been using vac packed pre ground coffee but recently a coffee roaster started up near my office and upgradeitis has taken hold. I am now in the market for a grinder.

I am not getting carried away with dropping $1k on a grinder to make about 20 coffees a week. I am thinking about $300 and I'm not adverse to a used item. I almost bought a Rancilio MD40 for $100 but wasn't quick enough to secure it. Then I thought it would be overkill.

Getting to the point, does anyone have one for sale or know someone who does? Any other specific advice would also be welcome. Finding something in Tas is almost impossible as there is no market for it between Hardly Normal and commercial suppliers.

An espresso machine upgrade is also in the pipeline but I want to see what difference the grinder and fresh beans makes first.

Hey Techno you are a smart man.  waytogo

Had an accident in Tasmania? - www.tas-compo-law.com.au
braando
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:21:24 AM »

The difference between fresh beans and vac pack is like chalk and cheese.

I originally had the Sunbeam but upgraded to an ECM Giotto, fantastic Machine. I can't fault it.

http://www.espressocompany.com.au/giotto.htm

As for grinders, I have a Vario burr grinder. Good thing about it is that it has ceramic cutting disks. Also, you can time the dosage so that you get the exact amount every time. Neither are cheap, it just depends on what you are willing to pay.

Then I buy my beans from a trusted supplier, always fresly roasted, thats also important. Pretty sure that Goldy/Nick has the same setup as mine. Keep a lookout on Ebay as they always pop up in there.
PM me if you want more info mate.

https://www.baratza.com/flat-burr-grinders/vario-grinder/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:25:35 AM by Brian W » Logged
StephenC

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 05:52:27 AM »

What's wrong with International Roast?

I had a Gaggia automatic machine which was great but started to need more maintenance than I was willing to provide.  It had a built in grinder so I just supplied the beans and water.  I have since 'downgraded' to a Nexpresso.  I like that it is moron proof (me) in the mornings and that I can select the coffee I want at any given time by choosing a different pod.

Clearly I am not enough of a coffee expert to answer your question.

Ducati Monster 1100S (2009)
techno

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 04:10:03 PM »

Thanks Brian and Stephen for your comments.

I can tell that you have a passion for blingy things Brian. That ECM Giotto would look great in my kitchen but I'm afraid I'm not ready for such sophistication yet. I'll work my way up.

I agree that good beans and a consistent grinder are a good starting point. I have a couple of reputable roasters close to my office so I'm set there. I'm working on the theory of only changing one thing at a time until I get that sorted. I would be in great strife with the wife if the quality of her daily coffee started going backwards rather than improving.  coffee

suzyj

Does my bum look big on this?

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 03:08:36 PM »

I've got one of the Sunbeam cafe series burr grinders. It's able to grind right down to a flour consistency, and is a bit cheaper than the gaggi and rancilio ones.

Certainly a sizeable step up from their budget blender model, at any rate. The sunbeam cafe series coffee machine is also quite good. It's got dual thermoblocks so you can froth the milk at the same time as you're drawing shots. My cat really likes the frothy milk.

2007 Monster 695 with a few mods.
2013 Piaggio Typhoon 50 2 stroke speed demon.
J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 09:52:15 PM »

i did service of commercial cafe equipment for over 5 years , abeit was 13 years ago but the info is still
relevant and prob still will be in 50 years time

fresh coffee , from day of roast its fantastic for about a month , great for about another 4 weeks but once you are getting near
12 weeks the quality is off and the 'crema' isnt great

store beans in a cool dry environment , not in the fridge as it affects the coffee oils and destroys the crema quality

fresh beans and a decent grinder
you can have a $1000 machine but feed it shit beans or poorly ground coffee and you get crap out

being able to steam your own milk is far better than auto frothers , but isnt great for making quick coffees  , microwaves and battery operated milk whizzers arent too bad

my advice is spend up big on a decent grinder and doesnt matter what machine you use as you can always work around its shortcomings to make
a decent coffee and you wont have any problems with throwing a $100 coffee machine in the bin versus wanting to hang onto a $1000 machine despite it might not be real great

The Vario as mentioned by brian looks decent , i would look at mazzer grinders , the mini is just that a mini version of the major so is of same build quality and a quick
google found it for $700 , and i will bet that it will prob outlast yourself with no electronics, blades are usually good for around 1000KG depending on use so prob good till you die

consider it an investment , you are going to spending money on decent beans so you want the best out of them , bit like you dont buy cheap oil or cheap tyres or e10 fuel

for a single shot of coffee you are looking for a pour time from press of button 25-30 secs for 25-30mls or espresso shot

for those of you that do buy coffee at a supermarket or deli of name brands there is 2 secrets
1 buy from the back as that is where the fresh stuff is
a few of the companies use a roast code , a 4 digit code is printed somewhere on the bag that can be hard to find ,

it represents the day for the year and the year of roast so example 1534 represents  day 153 of 2014  so 153/30 gives early may as a rough guess

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
techno

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 06:50:19 PM »

Just an update for those interested. I ended up buying this behemoth

A local cafe was offloading it. Its a Spanish made Cunill "Space" grinder. I think its called that because it takes up so much space on the kitchen bench. Anyhow, its about 15 years old and probably never been cleaned and looks like it still had the original burrs. Cost me the grand total of $80 to buy.

I pulled it apart to clean out all the old grinds. I got new 60mm burrs for about $50 and fitted them. I then replaced the base with a custom one to reduce the footprint, relocated the switch and cut down the hopper which was cracked anyway. I also got rid of the doser. I then gave it a slimming new black paint job. I'll post some pics of the end result shortly.

It now produces excellently ground coffee but is still pretty ugly to look at. I also need to make an exit chute to replace the doser and have made a few designs before getting it right.

My coffee machine is a Sunbeam EM 4800. Several years old and about $200 new. It runs pressurised baskets so you can make drinkable coffee out of pre ground supermarket bricks. I took the dremel to the double basket and made an unpressurised one. After a few experiments with freshly ground beans getting the grind and tamp pressure right I have to say its pretty good.

The coffee machine will get an upgrade in the near future but changing one thing at a time is the policy for now.

techno

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 07:32:46 PM »

Old burrs on the top. New ones on the bottom.

End result  coffee

braando
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 12:23:11 AM »

There is a product that I use every ten or so kilos of beans to run through the Grinder to clean it up.

Called "Grindz"     

Like Glen said, fresh beans make a huge difference. I'd bypass supermarkets if you are after new beans. Mine never go past a few weeks.

Plus, keep the machine clean, mine gets a backflush every night with the blind head  ( just water )

Every kilo or two I backwash it with powder.  All the little things add up in the end.

Brian   coffee
PAUL M
S4RS

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 12:51:57 AM »

Sounds good Brian, now that Bar Italia's been sold
should arrange a night to show your coffee making powers.. coffee

Bike riders only Wobbert
techno

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »

Here is the grinder now. Functional but still a work in progress.

I have also sourced  beans from two local roasters. They stamp them with the day roasted instead of a "use by" date so I know its fresh.

Progress has been made.  coffee

Uba Tracker

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 02:40:15 AM »

I've got one of the Sunbeam cafe series burr grinders. It's able to grind right down to a flour consistency, and is a bit cheaper than the gaggi and rancilio ones.

Certainly a sizeable step up from their budget blender model, at any rate. The sunbeam cafe series coffee machine is also quite good. It's got dual thermoblocks so you can froth the milk at the same time as you're drawing shots. My cat really likes the frothy milk.

A bit late but +1 on Suzy's rap of the Sunbeam gear. I've been running a Sunbeam grinder and Cafe series machine for about five years now and they're both awesome. Without a doubt the freshness of the beans determines how good the shots are plus I use a cheap little digital timer from Woollies to keep the shots consistant. I use cask water and I reckon it keeps the flavour predictable and the machine really clean. I could buy a bigger fancier machine but I occasionally buy a coffee from places that have a bigger fancier machine and I'm frequently disappointed, better to make your own and get it just how you like it.
techno

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 09:38:33 PM »

Never too late to join this discussion Uba. Its likely to keep going.

Here is my new addition. Arrived today.

Uba Tracker

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 03:09:38 AM »

That's a good looking unit Techno. Might I complement you on your photgraphic skill as well. I like the way you've used the natural perspective and clean edges of the machine to draw us into the true focus of the compostion - the empty cup, nice Wink
techno

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 04:00:39 AM »

WTF happened there? I'll have to fix that. I am in Tas so things are a bit upside down.

EDIT - when I looked at this yesterday the photo was upside down. Now its OK. I think the inter web is screwing with me.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:59:19 PM by techno » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: