Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 08, 2024, 08:40:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '06 S2R800 - Shift Drum Stuck in 1st Gear  (Read 1748 times)
hlin599

« on: April 14, 2014, 09:07:44 PM »

Hey guys,

I just made my first post in the introduction forum earlier today. I was riding my 2006 S2R800 this past weekend and the transmission got stuck in 1st after I came to a stop at a red light. Here's what I've done and observed so far (my conclusions in parentheses):

-The engine is running fine, no scary metallic noises (issue is isolated to the transmission and/or shifting mechanisms)
-I can ride the bike in 1st, the clutch disengages (same as above)

After getting the bike towed to a friend's garage and some internet research, I proceeded to remove the alternator cover to inspect if I had the common "shifter fork/harpoon getting stuck" problem. More observations:

-No scary looking metal bits on the drain plug magnet when I drained the oil (transmission is probably not permanently damaged, I hope)
-Shifter fork/harpoon was not stuck, didn't get a good look at the state of the two springs for the pivoting mechanism though (problem is with the detent mechanism on the clutch side or internal to the transmission?)
-Shifter fork/harpoon moves but once it engages with the shift drum in either direction, it stops hard and the shift drum does not budge at all
-Opened up the clutch cover and removed the clutch assembly; detent arm and return spring mechanism seem to be fine, spring is not broken (problem is with the shift drum, internal shift forks, or first gear is stuck on to the gear next to it?)
-Tried turning the shift drum by hand but it would not budge at all, it seems to be stuck good
-Tried lightly tapping on the shift drum with a screwdriver with tip wrapped in duct tape to see if something would free up, no dice

The next thing I was going to try was to loosen the "gear stopper bolt" that engages against the shift drum (items #5-8 on the service manual chapter 7.1 diagram). I'm not entirely sure what this assembly does though and whether I should mess with it at all. I did come across a thread on a different forum where someone said that this bolt was not torqued properly on their bike and it resulted in the transmission getting stuck in between 3rd and 4th gear. Thoughts on this one?

Here's where I'm hoping to pick your collective brains. Any other ideas I should try before I give up and get it towed to the closest dealer? This is about as far as I'm willing to go in terms of disassembling the bike (i.e. I'm not really up for dropping the engine and splitting the case). So if there is anything else I can try at this stage of disassembly I'd like to try it. Even if I can't fix the issue at least I can have a better idea of what it is so I won't be completely clueless when the dealer gives their diagnosis.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Henry
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 11:07:17 PM »

Can you post a pic of the shift drum, from left (alternator) side?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
hlin599

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:37:10 AM »

Hi Speeddog,

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately the bike is still at my friend's place in Seattle, and I'm back home in Vancouver. I forgot to take good pictures along the way as I was too focused on trying to identify the problem  Sad

I'm planning to go back in a few weekends to try fixing it again, but until then I won't have any pictures of the bike's current state.

Can you briefly elaborate on what I should look for on the shift drum from the alternator side? What are your thoughts on the gear stopper bolt/spring/ball assembly?
hlin599

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 03:47:52 PM »

Hey everyone,

I rented a cargo van and got my bike hauled back home. Opened up the alternator case again and snapped some photos. The symptoms haven't changed. I removed the spark plugs and was able to turn the flywheel by hand and watch the rear wheel turn as well. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Photos here:
http://imgur.com/a/iPDk5#0
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:56:26 PM »

Try pulling the stopper spring and ball.

Hard to imagine how that's jamming it, but it's an easy thing to eliminate it.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
hlin599

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:29:19 PM »

Just tried that after my last post, couldn't get the bolt all the way out cause the exhaust pipe is in the way, but it was mostly out and the drum is still stuck. Going to try tightening it back down or maybe removing the exhaust to completely remove the stopper bolt. Two more things I'm planning to try:

1) Use an impact gun with a 32mm socket on the nut that holds the clutch basket to try and vibrate the gears around a bit
2) Try and tap on the exposed gear (which I believe is the driven gear for 1st if I'm reading the diagram in the service manual correctly) through the access hole

Otherwise I think it may be case splitting time (i.e. I'm screwed  Tongue)
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:38:34 PM »

I'd say get the exhaust off and get the bolt, spring and ball out first.

I don't think impact gunning or tapping on a gear will help.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

hlin599

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »

Alright, I'll update once I've removed the stopper bolt, spring and ball tomorrow. Thanks for your input Speeddog Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: