Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 01:47:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Splitting lanes freeway.. during slow traffic/Jams  (Read 15541 times)
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 08:37:03 AM »

I've found if I give people time to see me, they give me room.  usually.  at least in OC.  I can't speak for the rest of the state.  LA County not so much.  wearing a hi viz vest has seemed to help people see me sooner.

Don't be in a rush.  if you're rushing AND splitting?  recipe for disaster.

Watch for people's heads and front tires.  Those will usually turn before they initiate their lane change.

Ditto what was said above about a gap in traffic.  Don't assume someone wont cross the DY.

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 11:30:20 AM »

This is a great thread!

I agree with most of what people have said, but want to add extra caution when you're on the double yellow.. in my experience, when people change in and out of the carpool lane crossing the double yellow they tend to do so a little more aggressively than usual.

I always try to be caution when splitting, but even more so on the double yellow just for that reason.

I probably don't need to mention this, but that "no zone" that they talk about in motorcycle safety classes, which is basically all 360 degrees around big semi-trucks - I always stay away from those guys when splitting.

As a good gesture too, I try to create some good will between bikes and cagers by making sure to say thanks whenever someone goes out of their way to give me room. They need to share the road, but we need to realize that the road doesn't belong to us, as much as we'd like to think so!

Ride safe everyone!

PS drivers in LA county (10/405/101) seem to be less friendly than other places

2011 m696
justin123560

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 03:43:39 PM »

I had a Sh!t my pants moment today this morning. A truck on the N 405 wanted to make it into the carpool before the double yellow started again so he thought it was smart to cut me off. It was such a sudden merge with no warning. 
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 04:36:50 PM »

yea, I think moves like that on or right before the double yellows are more likely than in other places.

2011 m696
kendallb

Monster 620

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 12:11:59 AM »

As a good gesture too, I try to create some good will between bikes and cagers by making sure to say thanks whenever someone goes out of their way to give me room. They need to share the road, but we need to realize that the road doesn't belong to us, as much as we'd like to think so!

I agree.. although unfortunately sometimes the opposite is true: cars going out of there way to close the gap. Maybe they want us to be stuck in gridlock like the rest of them .. bang head

Also, might be good to point out to keep in mind when merging onto the white/yellow from behind a car. Once i had a close call with another rider zooming through , so i look twice before jumping in between cars. Smiley
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 09:45:12 PM »

CRG Lane Split mirrors - tucked in, of course.

No worries if traffic is bumper to bumper, but WATCH OUT ! for gaps between cars. That's the only time they can cut you off- unless, of course, somebody throws the door open before you pass by...... Dolph

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
monster 795

My Ducati Monster 795 cafe racer

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 04:11:18 AM »

People in the OC are much better about moving for lane splitting. People in LA not so much, and in fact, I've had people actually turn their car into the open space. Not often, and there some people who move if there's not enough room, but the stupid stuff I've encountered in LA I haven't in the OC.

I always gesture to people who move out of the way as well.
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 03:34:26 PM »

Hello all,

i was out on the freeway and the traffic was gridlocked as usual..maybe 5-10 + mph (405 freeway california, worst freeway on earth.. but thats another topic)

Here in california its legal to split lanes, so the cyclists here take full advantage.

For me at least splitting lanes going 20, 30 + miles an hour while cars are going under 15, changing lanes, stop n go etc. is an extremely harrowing experience..

My opinion of it is that, basically, you've gotta be on your game..

So i wonder what are some of your habits to be more cautious and safe??

i tend to revv a lot more, as well as use my high beams(is that a jerk move?)..even still i find i dont blink at all while doing this! Smiley

There are a lot of HOV lanes on the 405 freeway so I would take advantage of them whenever possible.  I would also advise keeping your speed within 10-15mph of the speed traffic is moving and scan mirrors and front wheels along with turn signals.  If there is a big gap, use it until you come up on more slow traffic, this gives you more time to react if a car decides to come over into that gap.

You definitely have to be alert when splitting but I feel that if it is done safely that you are actually better off than if you were just another vehicle in stop and go traffic.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
justin123560

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 12:31:09 PM »

Pick Up truck almost took me out when I was splitting lanes on the 405 couple of days ago. How close you ask? Well he hit my bar end mirror ! He didn't notice that I was coming down the middle nor did he notice that he was crossing the double yellow. My friend was following me on his bike and all I heard on the Blutooth was "Holy Sh!t" multiple times. Be careful out there !
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »

Pick Up truck almost took me out when I was splitting lanes on the 405 couple of days ago. How close you ask? Well he hit my bar end mirror ! He didn't notice that I was coming down the middle nor did he notice that he was crossing the double yellow. My friend was following me on his bike and all I heard on the Blutooth was "Holy Sh!t" multiple times. Be careful out there !

I had a car clip me while lane splitting a few months ago.  I was riding along slightly faster than the flow of traffic which was moving along at a very slow 10-15mph.  I was passing a car that was in the left lane and had a gap to my right that I didn't move into when I see this black sedan just start coming over into the side of me.  His passenger door mirror caught my handlebar and since I was going faster than he was it jerked the bar to the left which cause the bike to go right and away from him.  I didn't go down luckily.  Bent my bar end mirror and my shoulder was a little sore from the bar being jerked away from my right hand.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
mdgore
Human Windsail

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2014, 12:42:51 AM »

I don't "lane share" until traffic drops below 40 mph, and I don't go above 10 mph faster than the traffic.   If it's dead stopped, I go 10 mph.  At least I'm still moving. I also go to the front of the queue on any red light (when there are 2 or more lanes), better than being ass packed by some inattentive dolt. If there's only 1 lane I watch my 6 until the car behind me is completely stopped.  Lane sharing should be allowed everywhere. It's ridiculous that it isn't.

I'm all out of clever.
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 10:26:43 AM »

I don't "lane share" until traffic drops below 40 mph, and I don't go above 10 mph faster than the traffic.   If it's dead stopped, I go 10 mph.  At least I'm still moving. I also go to the front of the queue on any red light (when there are 2 or more lanes), better than being ass packed by some inattentive dolt. If there's only 1 lane I watch my 6 until All the cars behind me is completely stopped.  Lane sharing should be allowed everywhere. It's ridiculous that it isn't.

Good plan, fixed the weak spot for ya  Grin

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: