Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 09:24:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me kick cable  (Read 7032 times)
ute

I Have Titanium

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 04:16:47 PM »

What about stuff like cnn or cnbc or bbcnews?

Do any of these services provide these?

XBMC does as well as all sports and movies , every TV show ...it is all free

Roku is a waste of money ..unhackable
hbliam
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »

XBMC does as well as all sports and movies , every TV show ...it is all free

Roku is a waste of money ..unhackable

I don't believe he is interested in stealing services so I doubt that's an issue.
seanster
Wat???? Hero Member!?!?

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »

I got a western digital box were I can hook up
1. Ethernet to connect to my media server
2. USB to any external hard drive in case a friend or anyone want to watch something.
3. Since its connected to the router (Ethernet port to excess media server) I can get access to Hulu as well as Netflix.

Has dedicated remote and connect to your tv via HDMI.

I also have a ChromeCast to watch quick little YouTube video for fun from my phone. Everything works flawlessly.

I just need a bigger tv since my 24" isn't quite up to the standard LOL.

2001 Supersport 900 Yellow!!! (she's just so much fun)
2000 Monster 750 Carb Dark!!! (Sold and still full of regrets)
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 09:02:22 PM »

What about stuff like cnn or cnbc or bbcnews?

Do any of these services provide these?

I don't know of any broadband box (roku, app-enabled tv or disc player, etc.) that has streaming news channels.  I think for now you'll need to just rely on podcasts or reading websites.  If you get a digital receiver, you will should be able to receive local tv, which means local news.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 05:23:00 AM »

No, no hacking. This needs to be usable for my decidedly non - tech wife who is a government official and doesn't take toothpicks from the restaurant until she is sure they are free.

I like the Roku setup but is there a setup with the same thing and a bluray player too?

I was reading that these players are on the way out because manufacturers are putting them in the TV now...

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 05:59:54 AM »

I like the Roku setup but is there a setup with the same thing and a bluray player too?
Yes, many. I have this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/smart-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player/7830129.p?id=1218861011781&skuId=7830129&st=blu%20ray&cp=1&lp=2

I was reading that these players are on the way out because manufacturers are putting them in the TV now...
Yes.  The newest TVs basically include their own Roku-equivalent software.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 05:29:10 PM »

Roku says they have > 1000 channels included.  Does that one ?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:32:57 PM by ducatiz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Cody

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 06:06:48 PM »

I got a western digital box were I can hook up
1. Ethernet to connect to my media server
2. USB to any external hard drive in case a friend or anyone want to watch something.

I've been doing this for years.

It is so nice having all my movies on a hard drive instead of a huge bin of DVD's.

Gotta love piratebay.org!
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »

Roku says they have > 1000 channels included.  Does that one ?

Nope, it has 100 apps (channels) I think.  But if you're actually going to watch 1000 channels, why are you getting rid of cable?

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 11:40:01 AM »

Nope, it has 100 apps (channels) I think.  But if you're actually going to watch 1000 channels, why are you getting rid of cable?

That's not the same.  The Roku has actual streaming channels of news/sports etc, not apps with the PPV style selection.

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 09:03:10 AM »

Did not know that.  Sounds like all signs are pointing towards Roku...

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 06:01:12 PM »

Did not know that.  Sounds like all signs are pointing towards Roku...

Yeah, I was just hoping to find the same functionality with an integrated BluRay.  I'm surprised Roku doesn't have at least one like that.

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 06:55:21 AM »

Yeah, I was just hoping to find the same functionality with an integrated BluRay.  I'm surprised Roku doesn't have at least one like that.

Tiz' gimmie a little bit to dig one out, but I've got a previous gen Roku that's not being used you're welcome to test drive - given I find all the bits. hit me with a PM and we can figure details

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »

Tiz' gimmie a little bit to dig one out, but I've got a previous gen Roku that's not being used you're welcome to test drive - given I find all the bits. hit me with a PM and we can figure details

wow thanks man

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »

wow thanks man

No biggie. It's not being used presently. You'll probably have to come fetch it, if you dare to enter within the beltway.  Evil

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: