Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 02:51:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me kick cable  (Read 7020 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« on: February 11, 2014, 09:55:39 AM »

We have Verizon FIOS for internet and TV

I could care less about them, especially after I figured out they don't work in a power outage (but Cox cable does...)

We watch TV for:

CNN/FOX/CNBC/BBC news
Real Housewives of BH (Mrs Ducatiz)
Disney XD, Disney (kids)

How do I dump the TV sub and set this up?

Assume I don't have a PC in every room.  I have one in the basement which gets turned on about once a week and one in my office, 2 hours away.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:07:04 AM »

Chromecast?

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »

Assume I don't have a PC in every room.  I have one in the basement which gets turned on about once a week and one in my office, 2 hours away.

There's various boxes that allow you to access Hulu, netflix etc so you don't need a PC for it. Looking for devices like that 'tiz?
Are we assuming you're keeping a data connection?

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »

one, don't watch mass media lol..  2, get a digital antenna and let the kids watch 13 kids, i like it better then any of then any of the other kids stuff out there.. tres, get twc so i can pay more bills  >:}

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:02:52 AM »

There's various boxes that allow you to access Hulu, netflix etc so you don't need a PC for it. Looking for devices like that 'tiz?
Are we assuming you're keeping a data connection?

That sounds like it might be an option.  A dedicated box with a remote?  got a link?

yes, I am keeping a data connection but not with FIOS.  I am sick of them.  We have backup power, but apparently when the power is out, Verizon fibre optic loses power within an hour.

During the 6 day outage after the "Derecho" storm, my office internet was working (no power, using batteries for PCs) but the Verizon Fios was out at home, despite that we have a backup generator.  My internet at the office is Cox cable.  Cable=copper.  They keep it juiced.

one, don't watch mass media lol..  2, get a digital antenna and let the kids watch 13 kids, i like it better then any of then any of the other kids stuff out there.. tres, get twc so i can pay more bills  >:}

not helpful.  but thanks for piping in...

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Triple J
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:08:04 AM »

Digital antenna + Roku box

I'm doing it as soon as WSBK announces their subscription package.

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »

That sounds like it might be an option.  A dedicated box with a remote?  got a link?
I agree with Triple J that an "app" box and an antenna is probably your best bet.  I don't have a link for you but I just picked up a Sony blu-ray player at Best Buy for ~$70 that has 100 apps pre-installed, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, Youtube, even NBA League pass, and tons of other video apps that I will never ever use.  Can even control it from my phone, which is good since I lose my remote all the time.

Digital antenna provides access to local channels, which include live sports (NFL, MLB, etc.), if you like that stuff.  I think I spent $39 for mine and it was good (Phillips, not sure model number but can look it up if you want.)

I have chromecast and see its potential, but am not convinced yet.  They need to improve their offerings/functionality as current usage is limited.  For now, it gathers dust while connected to my TV.

Also, FTR: your list of required shows is darn short, so maybe you can just go cold turkey and cut it all off.  I surprised myself how quickly i didn't miss shows i thought i'd miss when i gave up TV in the past.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:26:04 AM »

how to kick cable....

take cable box and put on floor standing longest ways in the highest profile

put on steel toed work boot

channel your inner Mark Mosley or David Beckham and take and few staps back for measurement guage, pause and then launch forward in a thrusting motion and boot that mother to the moon

editors note...make sure whatever is on the opposing side of the cable box from you is not damagable, needed, or otherwise unreplaceable.

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 11:12:42 PM »

Let me help.  Cable TV costs about 100.00 a month.  That is a new set of crazy cool turn signals and some CF bling every month.  Where are your priorities? 

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 05:28:23 AM »

The Roku was what I was alluding to, though there are similar stand-alone products. Basically it's a a box that you feed internets and it poops out media.

The newest generation isn't much bigger than a pack of cigs.
http://www.roku.com/meet-roku

Also, there's a lot of other devices that can access internet media like netflix, hulu etc also. Some TVs can do without the need for an extra device like a Roku. Many disc players can as well. At our house we've an LG Blu-ray player taht has netflix, pandora, amazon and a few other things we dont care about. So that's how we feed streaming media to the TV.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
ute

I Have Titanium

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 01:54:18 PM »

Just google XBMC ...works on Pc, Mac, Android, RaspPi, ATV

Here are a couple of links

xbmchub.com

xunitytalk.com

mashupxbmc.com
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »

That Roku setup looks pretty nice!  I could kick cable (well Satellite for me) with that alone!

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
hbliam
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 03:24:23 PM »

That Roku setup looks pretty nice!  I could kick cable (well Satellite for me) with that alone!

JM

As he said, many "smart" tv's handle the same function. As well as Xbox and Playstation. I went to a tivo with cable card and got the Roku to watch UFC. Works great and you get extra content besides the fight for $10 less. HD or course.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 05:46:20 PM »

What about stuff like cnn or cnbc or bbcnews?

Do any of these services provide these?

Triple J
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 09:29:53 AM »

The only potential problem I see to this is since everything comes through your cable connection, will the cable company (i.e., Comcast) throttle the service? They're already doing it with Netflix. This used to be illegal, but the law was repealed a few months ago, so...

There's a built-in conflict of interest. Comcast provides both cable service and the internet connection. If the internet connection starts replacing cable (via Roku type boxes, Netflix, etc), then Comcast (or any big cable/internet company) could begin throttling the speed so it doesn't work as well.  Undecided That's the benefit of DirecTV...totally separate system.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: