Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 04, 2024, 10:58:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions: Silver frame with a ? color tank, ? fender, ? seat cowl, ?  (Read 3506 times)
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« on: February 08, 2014, 07:06:00 AM »

Hey dudes.

Picked this frame up on a whim...now I am unsure what colors to go with. I am thinking a bare aluminum DP fender, bare metal tank with a matte clear coat, blacked out engine and wheels? Do you think the silver frame with matching tank + fender will wash into each other? I really like the idea of leaving that gorgeous brushed aluminum DP fender as delivered. But that wouldn't look right with a black tank imo. Hrrrm. I've always believed motorcycles should be black as the primary color, this is a new experience for me.

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
silas

2V

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:51:13 AM »

I say keep the silver frame & fenders, do something else w the tank. (Yes, too washed out w all silver incl. tank).  Black engine & black tank w silver frame & fenders...monochrome would be sharp!

Ride fast, ride safe
'98 M900, '92 Yamaha TDM850
seanster
Wat???? Hero Member!?!?

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:46:52 AM »

Orange scheme with silver frame fender and black wheel.

2001 Supersport 900 Yellow!!! (she's just so much fun)
2000 Monster 750 Carb Dark!!! (Sold and still full of regrets)
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 11:12:56 AM »

Can't do colors except possibly red...tis just not for me.

The silver frame is staying, I could have bought an unpainted frame from the same seller for $20 less. Liked that I won't have to shell out $ for paint or powder coat.

I can't really see a mismatched fender and tank looking right...seems like it would create a lopsided and pieced together effect. Like a car with a mismatched junkyard body panel.

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »

All red with silver frame. Maybe gold OZ wheels!

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
Ducatamount

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 05:52:33 AM »

All washed out silver with the only black being rubber.
A metal Monster.  Evil

half fast
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 07:37:31 AM »

All washed out silver with the only black being rubber.
A metal Monster.  Evil

Beginning to think that may look reeeeal slick. Except with touches of black from my half clutch cover, triples, engine block.

brad black

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 02:44:26 PM »

black racing stripes

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
DucatiBastard

"Apollonia" '06 S2R 800

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »

I think mostly silver and gray tones would be striking and unique.  Maybe with a few black touches like bolt heads, the "Ducati" lettering on the engine cases, you could also use a black (cloth-wrapped would be sweet) wiring loom to break up the large mass of the engine and the frame.  

Subtlety would be the key

edit: With a clearcoated metal tank with hand lettered "Cagiva" Ducati font in black! "Hollow" letters would look nice and light too
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:41:50 PM by DucatiBastard » Logged

Give a man a beer, and he wastes an hour.
Teach a man to brew, and he wastes a lifetime.

2006 Ducati S2R 800, 2004 Honda Dream 50R, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 1940 BSA M20
Barney

when in doubt, pin it

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 05:51:54 AM »

I've always been a very big proponent of that fender, especially over the style that came on the early models - I do happen to like the style of the new monster's front fender, but that's still my favorite.  you could do whatever you want with the bike and keep that thing bare, and it will look awesome.  I've also seen bare fender with black supports, and that looks really tight too.

I like the idea of the all metal bike as well, but that silver might be a little too bright to do the whole bike in.  maybe a satin black tank/cowl or a dark metallic graphite type color with silver lettering and stripe and some red accents?  black and silver on it's own has the potential to be a little flat in my opinion, so you'd really have to get it just right to make the bike stand out.

12 M1100EVO
09 KTM 200XC - sold. I cried.
70 Honda 450 Scrambler
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 09:58:25 AM »

I've always been a very big proponent of that fender, especially over the style that came on the early models - I do happen to like the style of the new monster's front fender, but that's still my favorite.  you could do whatever you want with the bike and keep that thing bare, and it will look awesome.  I've also seen bare fender with black supports, and that looks really tight too.

I like the idea of the all metal bike as well, but that silver might be a little too bright to do the whole bike in.  maybe a satin black tank/cowl or a dark metallic graphite type color with silver lettering and stripe and some red accents?  black and silver on it's own has the potential to be a little flat in my opinion, so you'd really have to get it just right to make the bike stand out.

Dark grey/charcoal for the tank or just glossy pure black is what I'm leaning towards.

As far as that fender, I also have the matching belly pan/chin fairing, which would prob help even things out if both were left bare. Painting only the supports is an excellent idea I had not thought of.

A brushed metal look for the tank with black decal, plus a blacked out engine then bare aluminum fender and chin fairing would be shweet but that's a lot of headache getting the tank to look right, and not rust.

Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 01:01:06 PM »

No question this would look good:

Top it off with a black fuel cap

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 01:38:59 PM »

That tank, silver frame and black wheels with black accents, e.g. belt covers, clutch cover, sprocket cover, etc.

2015 Scrambler 800
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 01:42:14 PM »

Yo, Koko;

I posted this in the "All about gas tanks" sticky, but perhaps you know...

On a newer tank for older (carbed) Monster:

- A plastic tank works no problem if using the fuel pump (fuel pump replaces external pump) and block off return

- FI metal tank works, just needs inner ring and block off return

Do you happen to know?

(Or Brad might know also)

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 09:40:42 PM »

Dont block off the return if using the efi pump. Safer to use a low pressure pump with carbs. What carbs you using? Mad King Pepe has used a SBK tank on an old carbed motor. Carbed SS bikes have an in tank electric pump and run a return pipe.
 DP seems to like electric pumps. Brad, Speeddog, Howie should know details.
Pretty sure there was a thread on this you could search.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:52:09 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: