Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 10:52:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Round 7" LED headlight installed  (Read 3144 times)
wshtb

« on: December 20, 2013, 12:23:06 PM »

Many have seen the sleek CORSE DYNAMICS LED headlamp. It costs a bit too much for me. So I figured out a way to get the same quality lighting for cheap.

First, a photo of the final product. The LED light stick out a bit, but it doesn't bother me.

For the light source, I'm using a TruckLite 27270C 7" round LED. It is sold under a few different brands. I got mine on ebay for $160. I believe this is the same lighting element used in the CORSE DYNAMICS headlamp. The 7" LED is a direct replacement to sealed beam (found on vintage british bikes, and jeep wranglers).

Our stock light is a bit too big for this, so the first step is to source an appropriate bucket. The LED light is pretty heavy, so I chose a metal one. There are a lot of them on Ebay. They cost just a bit over $50. Make sure you pick one that uses side-mount, and try to find one where the distance between two mounting hole is 7" or more. Mine was 7.5".

In order to fit this light to stock mounting brackets, I need two spacers to fill the half-inch gap. For now I'm repurposing the stock spacer, which were used on the outside of the bracket. They are the perfect length. I plan to source some better looking spacers and refit with locking washers. This picture shows the spacer:

It took me a while to figure out how to assemble the whole thing, since I have never worked on sealed beams before. But all the bolts/tabs/notches line up. It is asymmetric so there is no way to fit it wrong.

The 7" LED uses standard H-4 plug, so our stock harness plugs right in. There is no place for the city light, so I unplugged that tiny bulb and taped the socket.

Only additional thing is the big hole in the bottom of the bucket for wiring. The one I bought didn't come with rubber grommet, so I need to source a 40mm grommet. Amazon has them for cheap ($3 for a 10 pack), but they are coming from another country so it won't be here until mid Jan. You might be able to find them in your local hardware store.

I haven't got a chance to ride it yet. But based on what I can see in the garage, the new light is much brighter than stock. In the end, the total cost is just over $200.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:36:49 PM by wshtb » Logged
joshuajcrouch

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »

What?  No more pictures?  This post is incomplete.
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:55:29 PM »

Nice bike wshtb  waytogo

Love those Arrow cans.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
wshtb

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:22:39 PM »

What?  No more pictures?  This post is incomplete.

I didn't take pictures during the install, so there isn't any step-by-step photos. The key thing is that you can use a $50 bucket in place of the expensive Corse solution. The actual installation process is very simple.
oldndumb

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 04:14:14 AM »

I always respect when initiative and ingenuity provide a solution.
Well done, wshtb!  waytogo
RBX QB
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 12:40:10 PM »

I didn't take pictures during the install, so there isn't any step-by-step photos. The key thing is that you can use a $50 bucket in place of the expensive Corse solution. The actual installation process is very simple.

We can figure out the step by step stuff... but some more pics showing the LED assembly from the front (for aesthetics), and some showing the high and low beam patterns against a wall would be beneficial to those who are looking for upgrade options.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: