Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 06, 2024, 02:48:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M900SIE Pros, cons and warnings  (Read 4644 times)
GeneW

« on: September 29, 2013, 05:58:50 PM »

I'm considering the purchase of a 2001 M900SIE. Any input as to what to look out for during the inspection would be appreciated. This will be first cycle with fuel injection and wondering if this is a trouble spot. All input welcome especially the pros and cons of dealing with this model. Have never been part of a forum with so many passionate members so looking forward to the comment!!

Gene

1974 Ducati 750 GT
1968 Norton Atlas
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 06:00:51 PM »

Check tank hinge for leaks or repairs.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Ducatamount

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 03:28:06 AM »

I haven't had any problems with my EFI.
Hopefully he has kept all the service records, if not, change the belts.
Try the horn, if it's not working, it's usually an easy fix taking the switch apart.
+1 on the tank hinge. Some people actually get it reinforced prior to a leaking problem.
Are you sure you want a 2001 M900S? According to an "expert on seats, handlebars and gearing selection" on this forum they are antiques and should be in a museum.  laughingdp

half fast
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 05:26:12 AM »

Other stuff to ask about
- Cam belts. They are a 12k mile or 2 year replacement item. Common for older ducs to need them replaced on age
- Tank hinge as mentioned

Otherwise it's you normal used bike due diligence. I've got a 2000 900S (also injected) that's coming up on 40k miles - I've had it for 23K of that. In that time the only failings it had was the oil pressure sender seal failed and it stated to weep oil ($25 fix) and the starter solenoid was crapping out ($40 fix) - other wise it runs like a champ.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 05:29:26 AM »

http://silodrome.com/buying-guide-ducati-monster/

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 06:32:44 AM »

I had a 2000 Supersport 900 that pretty much uses the same engine and FI setup.  That bike was a hoot to ride, I'm sure the Monster version will be too.

The tank hinge as mentioned.  Not necessarily a deal breaker, but something to factor into negotiations.
All rubber parts need to be inspected and or replaced.
Look for an oil leak at the base gasket on the vertical cylinder.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »

The FI is actually pretty bulletproof if it hasn't been messed with.  Even if it's been tuned or chipped, most of those are pretty reliable, too.

If it runs rough, it may just need the throttle bodies sync'd.  Not a difficult thing.

Cam belts, as others have stated.  On older bikes, the problem is not usually mileage, it's age.

If it has an open clutch, inspect it and maybe have a more experienced Ducatisti listen to it to determine the condition.

You definitely want to see service records.  Big difference in price of the bike with vs without.  No service records = big maintenance/repair liability.

Check the steering stem bearing feel.  Monsters with the OEM ball bearings that have been wheelied aggressively can develop premature wear here.  It will have a slightly notchy feel around the center position if the bearings are knackered.  Bike that have been upgraded to tapered roller bearings generally don't have problems.

Then just your usual used bike stuff... tires, wheel bearings, brakes, chain, etc...

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 09:44:38 AM »

Are you sure you want a 2001 M900S? According to an "expert on seats, handlebars and gearing selection" on this forum they are antiques and should be in a museum.  laughingdp

Rembrandts and Manets are in museums and I would take one of those in a second.

(...then I'd promptly sell it, but a Bimota, and build my own track somewhere in the southwest. Grin )

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
yamifixer

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 07:58:50 AM »

Mines a year older But assume it's close enough for an opinion. It has been pretty near perfect other than the clutch slave casting being bad. Bought a pretty billet one and problem solved.

it also has a tendency to need a battery every other year but every Italian bike I have owned has been that way.

good luck I love mine

'00 M900Sie, '66 Benelli Fireball, '70 Honda Z50
Valve Springs are EVIL
Triple J
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 09:40:07 AM »

The 2000/2001 M900S is the best Monster ever made IMO. Fantastic 900 motor, good fuel injection, and a steel tank.  waytogo

The only issue mine had was the kill switch wire routing down by the head tube includes a kink, which will cause the wire to break over time. No big deal as you just fix it, but if the bike ever cuts out when you turn the handlebars, then that is likely the issue. I've heard of a couple other ones in that year range having the same problem. Very minor, but can be tough to diagnose.
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 11:02:10 AM »

Mines a year older But assume it's close enough for an opinion. It has been pretty near perfect other than the clutch slave casting being bad. Bought a pretty billet one and problem solved.

it also has a tendency to need a battery every other year but every Italian bike I have owned has been that way.

good luck I love mine

I put mine on a battery tender for one day each week it doesn't get ridden.  Worked for my '01 900SS and seems to be working for my '00 Gran Canyon (900ie motor and Magnetti Marelli EFI with typical Italian wiring... it's a Duc for all practical purposes).  Batteries seem to last me 5-7 years.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 05:55:58 AM »

good luck I love mine

FWIW - My carbed M750 needs batteries on about the same interval.  My 900SS needed to be hooked to a tender because it slowly drained batteries.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 02:20:54 PM »

FWIW - My carbed M750 needs batteries on about the same interval.  My 900SS needed to be hooked to a tender because it slowly drained batteries.

JM

Bad solenoid.  I bet it stayed warm too.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
GeneW

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »

Thanks all for the comments. The cycle needs a rear tire and the last major service was in 2010 although less than 3000 miles ago.  Is age of the cam belts a major factor or is mileage the criteria for having the belts replaced?  What is a ballpark $ figure for new rear tire and the belt inspection/replacement if done at a dealer?  Just trying to get an idea of what sort of dollars I will be spending after buying the cycle.

The tank hinge issue and clutch slave cylinders issues have been addressed.

...Are you sure you want a 2001 M900S? According to an "expert on seats, handlebars and gearing selection" on this forum they are antiques and should be in a museum.  laughingdp

I'm pretty sure I want a 2001.  My current daily rider is a 1974 Ducati 750GT so this will be a big step up for me... electric start, modern shift pattern, blinkers, etc. I'd get something newer but I want to ease slowly into the modern generations of Ducati. I guess I'm into "antiques that should be in a museum". 

1974 Ducati 750 GT
1968 Norton Atlas
Autostrada Pilot

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 02:20:42 PM »

Welcome to the board!

Belts are scheduled for 12k miles OR 2 years (whichever comes first).  I went 3 years with regular riding without breaking a sweat-but I would change the belts as I don't trust people selling vehicles.  Belts are not too hard to do on your own and there are youtube videos by the experts.  I would probably buy CA-Cycleworks belts for $40 a piece, although Ducati belts don't cost much more.

I put a rear Pilot Road 2 on my 1999 900 earlier this year and it was $170ish plus installation (usually $5-10 if you pull the wheel yourself or like $60ish to have the dealer pull the wheel).  PR2 are a good touring tire with softer compound on the edges of the tire for good grip which I was very happy with until my Monster left me.  I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND A 180 REAR tire.  My dealer put the original 170 on and it didn't feel quite as stable.  The 170 wasn't twitchy or anything (and maybe I was just used to the 180), but I liked the slightly slower turn in and it was easier to get rid of chicken strips.

My co-worker has Shinko tires on his Kawasaki Versys (~15 less HP than your Monster) and they were about half the price of the Michelin Pilot Road 2s I put on my Monster.  He figures to get about 9,000 miles out of them and has been quite pleased.  Personally, I'm a fan of spending an extra few bucks on a tire to have one I'm confident with and has thousands of rave reviews.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:25:18 PM by Autostrada Pilot » Logged

2003 Monster 620 Dark - Sold

1999 Monster 900 City - Sold

After 7 years of Monsters, I'm sadly bikeless right now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: