Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 04:51:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: monster turning capabilities at high speeds  (Read 17939 times)
mr.freezer

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 03:20:02 AM »

Guys.. I have some chicken strip on rear tyre.. but none on front one... on old tyre set it was different.. there was not chickcenstipe on rear but som 2-3mm wide on front.. I have not changed ridng style.... I have just changed tyres from dunlop to contis... I drive fast enough on my monster 620... but I am affraid I will soon loose the grip on the front.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 04:52:52 AM »

Same size?  It is almost impossible to not have chicken stripes on the rear of a Monster with 160/60 on the rear and 120/60 or 120/70 on the front with stock wheels, headers, footpegs, etc at stock ride height.  Ummm...do check tire pressure though, particularly in the front.
mr.freezer

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 10:59:35 AM »

I do not have chicken stripes... but when I am warming up chickenstrips on front disapear sooner than on back wheel... I found out that I have changed my exhaust... so I  have reduced weight on back wheel...
MotoZen
Novice Beast-master

Ignorance is my constant companion

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 05:46:56 AM »

Somebody please help a newbie: what are chicken-stripes, and why are they important? I've ridden about 2k miles on the street now. And planning on my 1st trackday in June.

Indian dirt-bike with training wheels -outgrew 25 years ago
XR 80 - outgrew 20 years ago
2015 M821. - will probably never outgrow
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 06:06:25 AM »

Chicken stripes are the unused tread portion on the sides of your tires.  Many think no chicken stripes means you are a skilled rider.  Not necessarily true.   
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 07:38:08 AM »

Frequently observed idiots trying to get a knee down, by hanging off their ass, but resisting/counter leaning their upper body.

Besides looking like fools, that's also a way to get rid of chicken strips without going fast - leaning the bike more than required for the speed.

No chicken strips on the street is a sign something is wrong with the riding technique and/or the rider's brain (IMO.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
SwiftTone

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 05:56:12 PM »

My s2r1000 shop manual states the tire pressure should be 30f and 32r psi. Am I reading it wrong? Seems awfully low compared to my RC51 which was 36f 42r psi, even though I ran 30f 32r on and street.

I have to say 30f 32r feels good and 28f 30r also feels good at the track in mid intermediate group. I also have a fully setup suspension
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:29:58 AM by SwiftTone » Logged
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 04:34:34 AM »

My s2r1000 shop manual states the tire pressure should be 30f and 32r psi. Am I reading it wrong? Seems awfully low compared to my RC51 which was 30f 42r psi, even though I ran 30f 32r on and street.

I have to say 30f 32r feels good and 28f 30r also feels good at the track in mid intermediate group. I also have a fully setup suspension
You're reading it right.

My 96 M900 manual states only slightly higher. I run 32f/34r. I ran 30f/28r on the track when I rode the Monster at the track

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

SwiftTone

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 03:59:52 PM »

You're reading it right.

My 96 M900 manual states only slightly higher. I run 32f/34r. I ran 30f/28r on the track when I rode the Monster at the track
Pretty odd but at least some reassurance.

Just mounted some Dunlop T30 Evo sport touring tires. I've always ridden on sport tires such as Michelin Pilot Power 3s or Pirelli  Diablo Rosso IIs, but got sick of getting new tires every 3-4k miles. I've done over 5k miles so far this season.

So far I like these new Dunlops. At a semi spirited street pace they feel pretty good. I've heard sport touring tires are good for fast intermediate group on track days. I'll put these to the test next year on the track!
Ken Masters

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 08:47:07 AM »

I have a slightly different problem on my 695, I regularly scrape my boots on my favourite corners which when it first happened was a little disconcerting to say the least..

The 695 can handle speed and corners well for sure, for me personally some new rear sets seem to be in order to make the most of this though
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 10:27:11 AM »

I have a slightly different problem on my 695, I regularly scrape my boots on my favourite corners which when it first happened was a little disconcerting to say the least..

The 695 can handle speed and corners well for sure, for me personally some new rear sets seem to be in order to make the most of this though

Get your suspension sorted, that'll improve your ground clearance and make your bike work better, all for the same money.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: