Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 08:22:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: monster turning capabilities at high speeds  (Read 17946 times)
kokis

« on: August 16, 2013, 03:29:23 AM »

What is safe speed to make regular ~45 degree highway turns on monsters?
 I feel safe at 75Mph, but at faster speeds it feels like bike is flying above the ground.. other words I feel not safe.
I riding m696 and as you know it has narrow back wheel. I have about 2\3inch "chickenstrip" at backwheel and no "chikenstrip" at front one.
I don't want to "test" myself turning capabilities at higher speeds as it can be harmful to my health.

I am not pro in tech questions, but as any rider have some experience that I can share without claiming to absolute truth. Please use my advices responsibly.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 04:51:48 AM »

Somethings a bit odd here. Because of a bikes geometry through a turn, you should be using more of the rear tire than the front - re lean angle. So you should have a wider chicken strip area on the front tire than the rear one. Every rear tire I've had, looked over etc has showed more wear from lean than it's mate.

Have you ever had the suspension set up for you? have you had it serviced in the last year?

And what's a 'regular' turn on the highway? Without some more detail, that description is very subjective.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Raux
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 05:18:11 AM »

Stop worrying about it and just ride

concentrate on form and the bike will handle almost all street riding

the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 05:23:58 AM »

Not sure about the newer generation, but my older (1999) generation Monster has a bit of an "organized chaos" feel when pushed hard.  Granted, mine was a Dark, and has the bargain basement non-adjustable Marzoochi forks. 

What happens, is there is a faint slow  oscillation when it is thrown into a fast corner with lots of lean.   I've just gotten used to it. 

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
kokis

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 05:44:26 AM »

There is no front suspension adjustment on m696 except oil viscosity change..
Lee Parks Riding book says that motorcycle capabilities are far above average rider's mental sense of control. I am a second season rider and I have new tires with pressure about 38-39 PSI which makes me feel safe on bad roads(once i critically  damaged rim at 31-32PSI).
I just want to find comfortable place between fear and low-side.
Yes I want to know if monsters(especially m696) are ok with more aggressive riding than just "cafe riding".
If they can pass something like this at ~90mph(and even higher Roll Eyes)

I am not pro in tech questions, but as any rider have some experience that I can share without claiming to absolute truth. Please use my advices responsibly.
Triple J
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 07:51:45 AM »

Yes, you can ride a 696 hard. Learning to do so on the street probably isn't a good idea...too many variables. I'd suggest you do a trackday or 10 if you can to improve your skills (no idea where you're located).

If possible, talk to your local suspension guru about what can be done to the forks and shock...there may be options beyond oil weight.

38-39 psi is too high IMO if you're trying to ride hard. I'd be more in the 32-34 range.
Moronic

07 S4Rs

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 08:33:57 AM »

Yes I want to know if monsters(especially m696) are ok with more aggressive riding than just "cafe riding".
If they can pass something like this at ~90mph(and even higher Roll Eyes)

Can't speak for the 696 but in general Yes, they are built to steer very well at high speeds. Mine certainly does. Well, 90-120mph, anyway.

Often the issue with wider-handlebar bikes with precise steering such as the Monster is the rider holding on too tight.

Not saying this must be so in your case. Just something to think about.

the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 09:13:44 AM »

Often the issue with wider-handlebar bikes with precise steering such as the Monster is the rider holding on too tight.

This turned out to be a lot of my issue.  Once I got myself to relax my grip & use my back & legs to hold me up rather than my arms, my form improved, so did my ability to corner faster. 

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 10:00:14 AM »

Stop worrying about it and just ride

concentrate on form and the bike will handle almost all street riding

+1  Dolph

Whenever I have that feeling I try to think about what I did and if possible copy what just happened to get an idea of what's going on. I can't remember the last time I didn't end up with the same answer... RIDER INPUT!!

Wrong grip, tense body, flapping jacket, car/truck turbulence... you name it.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »

Back to big chicken stripes in the rear, none in front.  Let me start by stating I am far from an expert rider, just want to get the discussion back to the original problem. 

I was having that problem at one point and asked the same question on the old board.  I went blank on his name, the guy with the boat in Buffalo said something to the effect of not enough throttle or braking in the apex.  As it turns out, I realized I got into the habit of following poorly skilled cage drivers into curves too closely.  They slowed, I had to slow.  They braked, I had to brake.  I started leaving enough space so I could properly roll on the throttle through the turn.  Problem solved.

38, 39 up front doesn't help either.  If your roads are that bad, 34, no more.
kokis

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 04:34:05 AM »

Thank you, everybody! waytogo

Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 10:27:29 AM »

Back to big chicken stripes in the rear, none in front.  Let me start by stating I am far from an expert rider, just want to get the discussion back to the original problem. 

As it turns out, I realized I got into the habit of following poorly skilled cage drivers into curves too closely.  They slowed, I had to slow.  They braked, I had to brake.  I started leaving enough space so I could properly roll on the throttle through the turn.  Problem solved.

I learned a little trick to deal with being to close to the rear of cagers ages ago.  It works well on all but the busiest of twisties.  Whenever I run up behind a couple of cars in an area that it is not safe to pass for a while I simply pull over to the shoulder and watch my rear view mirror.  When there is a decent gap between cars I pull out just in front of the one coming.  This gives me more time to enjoy the turns, I actually slow down in the straightways lol.

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »

I learned a little trick to deal with being to close to the rear of cagers ages ago.  It works well on all but the busiest of twisties.  Whenever I run up behind a couple of cars in an area that it is not safe to pass for a while I simply pull over to the shoulder and watch my rear view mirror.  When there is a decent gap between cars I pull out just in front of the one coming.  This gives me more time to enjoy the turns, I actually slow down in the straightways lol.

You too !?!?!? Grin

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
HDDUC

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 04:01:49 PM »

Funny.  I do the same thing.
Duc796canada

My first Ducati and road bike!

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »

My 796 corners awesome!! A tip, don't look at your speedo, read the road (vanishing point), use that as a gauge to your speed and ability! As stated, don't use the road, especially an unfamiliar one to find the limits of your bike or any vehicle!! Track track track....

796 Red Monster(sans ABS)
Viz-Tec Supabrake II
15/41 gearing(AFAM quick change sprocket)
PC V, NEXTUP QS.
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 track bike(I know...not a Duc...some day)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: