Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 07:00:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cafe Racer  (Read 54250 times)
Sabre Brian

« on: June 09, 2013, 11:58:44 PM »

Hey guys.  I want to build a cafe racer.  I have seen some amazing bikes of late.  They are a true classic.

My goal has been to find a Triumph Bonneville, late 70s-mid 80s.  I love them.

I was looking on bikesales and saw there are some very reasonably priced mid-late 90s monsters for sale.

Have monsters been used for cafe racers before?  Has anyone seen one?  Do you think it would make a good
cafe racer?

Would love to hear opinions.

Here are a few I have seen lately

FIFO
Doing the latter

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:20:26 AM »

Imo Monsters make the best Cafe racer, there already half done, just lower the head light and clocks  add some clip ons and your done  waytogo

Another fine example, you could lean it down a little more if possible, and voila your done Cheesy

More images here
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=ducati+monster+cafe+racer&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Pom1UezlLoeekAXaoIHYBg&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=2144&bih=1045#facrc=_&imgrc=ELMx8WxdrNXgyM%3A%3BxwPpiINQe4XXXM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ducatimonster.org%252Fgallery%252Fdata%252F1853%252FRacer_1.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Frocket-garage.blogspot.com%252F2008%252F08%252Fs2r-cut.html%3B1264%3B906

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:22:56 AM by Sir Rob s » Logged

in memory of Brian W, 2010 /2015
braando
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 12:35:48 AM »

That bike is a Guzzi  looks stock out of the showroom and a current model, the bike that Matty has been eyeing off. I think just a tad over $15000. That would be my option.
Sabre Brian

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:50:34 AM »

That black one is amazing.  That's the type of thing I am thinking of.
brad black

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 12:53:38 AM »

the v7 is really slow.  most people don't appreciate what you mean when you say "they're really slow" until they ride one.  then they say "I rode a v7, they're really, really slow".  the 2013 engine is better, but I've seen std breva 750 dynod with under 40hp.

check out the motomotivo site, johann has done quite a few monsters.  the ss is possibly a better frame for it as it has a fairly straight top rail.  the monster with the v is a bit harder to level out.  depends what you like the look of.

the black one is just a monster with smoothed tail and painted frame it appears.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
Sabre Brian

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 01:36:41 AM »

It does have the trumpets.  I like it.  I still like the idea of a Trumpy though.
OzzyRob
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 01:57:28 AM »

If you go the monster route and wanna go with the wire spoked wheels I can help out, I've already done it to mine.

16 odd pages of Cafe's here

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/showthread.php?4233-Cafe-Racers

Shitload of modded Ducatis here, disregard the "streetfighter" thing in the link.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?88-Ducati-Streetfighter-Gallery

If you're modding anything join up at ASF, be sure to introduce yourself first......If anyone take the piss about you riding a Ducati, especially Albi, ask him how he went at chasing bladehunter's (me) 600........ Nah they are a great bunch of blokes and willing to help out.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 02:07:46 AM by OzzyRob » Logged
Sabre Brian

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 03:29:13 AM »

Thanks Rob - The more I think about it, the more I think the Monster isn't going to suit what I have in mind.  I think what I actually want has to be a 70s-80s bike.  I love that 550Four that I  posted.  That is the style I really want.
OzzyRob
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 03:41:13 AM »

Some chook chasers can be a good base for a Cafe Racer if you like the single route......Singles are damn fun to ride.
ducmeister

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 11:02:43 PM »

I've got a Honda 350 twin in the shed that will get finished one day.

To me the classic look for a cafe racer is the flat straight line that runs along the bottom of the seat and tank, lowered headlight and instruments and clip ons or ace bars and chrome exhaust.  Then just strip off everything else that isn't necessary.

Check out the Do The Ton forum for some inspiration.  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?action=forum

'02 M900ie, DP CF mufflers, DP mirrors, CF side covers, beer tray, belt covers, and sprocket cover, K&N filter, clear indicators, Speedymoto 5 spoke clutch cover, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
suzyj

Does my bum look big on this?

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 11:11:30 PM »

Guzzis make nice cafe racers. Ducs, not so much.

I think Brad nailed it with the angle of the frame.

Oh, and the clipons have to be stupidly low to qualify.

2007 Monster 695 with a few mods.
2013 Piaggio Typhoon 50 2 stroke speed demon.
Betty

Uh-oh ... what's going on here?

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »

I have never seen a clear definition of a cafe racer that everyone agrees on.

Guzzis make nice cafe racers.

I always thought the idea was stripping them down so they were lighter ... and faster (in an age of smaller, less powerful bikes). So although the frame and nakedness of a Guzzi may have some cafe appeal ... it still has that massive engine that doesn't produce all that much power - the power to weight I think is all wrong for a cafe racer.

But maybe that is more appropriate in the modern age.

Oh, and the clipons have to be stupidly low to qualify.

... and narrow.

An older Japanese bike could work ... but something British feels more appropriate.

Believe post content at your own risk.
Sabre Brian

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »

I agree re: shape of the frame, but at the same time I do think if a Monster had all the other bits I could probably live with the frame.  Old Kwakas and Hondas have the perfect shaped frame, but I also agree with Betty, a Brit would add that little bit extra as well.

That "do the ton" site is awesome too thanks
mattyvas

I've become an old man on an old man's bike

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 01:13:25 PM »

It is a very big movement now the "cafe" scene, there is a very big forum/group that has grown quickly in Sydney called of course sydney cafe racers which is the place to be, there is also tank Moto magazine that has just launched which is from the the publishers of fuel. Magazine out of Melbourne that is a hot rod and hipster type mag.

Yes I was looking at the V7 racer after seeing it again down in PI at the Supers weekend, went for a spin on the sister bike and no it is not fast by any stretch of the imagination but then a cafe bike is/was never meant to be fast it was just meant to be cool....

Personally if I was doing a bike I'd grab an old Beemr R80 they look great when done properly and are just that little bit more removed from the usual suspects being the SR400, KW650, CB500/750 and the Bonnie's.
The Guzzi is a great donner bike too except they are on the pricey side of cheap to start with.

Betty

Uh-oh ... what's going on here?

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 03:15:33 PM »

Yes I was looking at the V7 racer after seeing it again down in PI at the Supers weekend, went for a spin on the sister bike and no it is not fast by any stretch of the imagination but then a cafe bike is/was never meant to be fast it was just meant to be cool....

I disagree - I think cafe racers were originally intended to be fast (and lighter than stock) ... for their time and considering the base offering.

But the current cafe racer trend is retro ... so it can't be about performance. It is now a stylistic ideal - much like the Monster really ... so you might as well go with that  Grin

Believe post content at your own risk.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: