Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 03:18:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COPS: Tap Helmet; NO COPS signal...????  (Read 12081 times)
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« on: May 31, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »

Everyone knows tapping your helmet to other riders means there's cops around. Is there a signal for no cops? Kind of an "all clear" kind of thing?

I got my first ticket a few weeks back and am much more hesitant to ride fast before doing the twisties slowly the first time to check for cops.

If there isn't a signal for all clear, lets try to establish one for that. Like tapping the chest or something like that..

What does everyone think???

2011 m696
$Lindz$

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »

It's a thumbs up.

If you are on twisties and give someone the thumbs up, they will either give it back or tap their helmet. Or waving up and down motion (to slow) I guess if there is traffic or an accident.

Anyways, I'd make sure with a thumbs up to a few different riders or groups to verify (sometimes people just don't know any of "the signals").

OH! I know a place where you don't have to worry about any of this though: the racetrack.
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 06:48:58 PM »

That's kind of the inspiration behind my post... On Thursday I got a thumbs up from a rider, then 3 turns later there were two patrolmen just chillin in their squad cars. I was cruisin so it was fine, but I was like wtf!? no helmet tap and a thumbs up 3 corners before TWO cops??

A thumbs up is too easily mistaken for "this is fun" or something like that.. I know that's why u wait to get a thumbs up from multiple riders, but still...

And yes, I need to hit a track.

2011 m696
$Lindz$

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »

Yeah then that dude just doesn't know anything and you kinda got ratmake the beast with two backsed on that.
Anthony81586

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 12:52:27 AM »

I like this thread. I'm still relatively new to riding. This is my second full season and I didn't even know about the helmet tap!

2003 Ducati Monster 620
Spy+

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 05:01:38 AM »

A good comedy relief on the subject..
http://www.tennspeed.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18198

SF 848
M696
Can am spyder gsr
duc996

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »

I wouldn't rely on anyone when it comes to having cops or no cops around, trust your own judgement coz other riders might be focusing much on their riding itself. Just my two cents

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 06:34:55 AM »

Whenever I pass cops and see riders coming the opposite way I always give them a huge thumbs up!  It decreases the chances the cops are gonna follow me.  waytogo

Kinda like the old saying regarding running from a bear.  I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun whomever I am running with!   Grin

PS pure satire, I would never do that.  Dolph

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
Spy+

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 05:10:10 PM »

Whenever I pass cops and see riders coming the opposite way I always give them a huge thumbs up!  It decreases the chances the cops are gonna follow me.  waytogo

Kinda like the old saying regarding running from a bear.  I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun whomever I am running with!   Grin

PS pure satire, I would never do that.  Dolph
Why run if you can shoot..lol

SF 848
M696
Can am spyder gsr
memper

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 03:36:38 PM »

Why run if you can shoot..lol
Cops or bears?

"Calling a bikini fairing on a monster a fairing is like calliing a girl in an actual bikini proper work attire....unless shes a stripper." -He Man

-----------------------------------------
Important: always check your battery filter and regularly change your headlight fluid.
Spy+

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 04:34:33 PM »

The bear....

SF 848
M696
Can am spyder gsr
shamoo

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 02:10:56 PM »

Yeah then that dude just doesn't know anything and you kinda got ratmake the beast with two backsed on that.

I've been riding for 15+ years and never heard of the "thumbs up" meaning all clear.  In my experience a thumbs up is similar to a wave, "Hi follow motorcyclist!".

Have I been wrong all these years?
duc996

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 04:18:37 AM »

Yeah...that's also what i thought it meant.Just kinda saying hi or your monster looks awesome!  Grin

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
nickshelby500kr
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 08:44:48 PM »

Why not flash your headlights repeatedly? Ya know like cars do...

The universal "motorcycle" one I have seen more than once is kind of a downward pat I guess? Like slow down, coppers be ahead.
Uncle Mofo

"Must Win Track Day" Uncle Mofo Racing 2007 S4RS

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »

And thanks for alerting that guy wanted for murder/rape/whatever who was about to be apprehended on a minor traffic violation...   

2007 red S4Rs
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: