Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 13, 2024, 07:33:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OZ Monster project  (Read 10359 times)
Sundog

« on: May 30, 2013, 04:47:35 PM »

My M1100 has been having some surgery over the last few weeks. A new spray paint job over the stock red, the color is a graphite grey from the Ducati color book, not sure of the code. There are three coats and a clear, with a black racing strip down the left of the upper tank surface, breaking off at the seat then continuing across the rear cowl. You can't see it in this photo. The clutch cover is also getting painted this weekend to finish it all off.

Over time I've been ripping off the stock OEM peripheral parts and replacing with DP or Rizoma gear and dropped at least 25-30lb of the bike in the process. All of the Rizoma gear that had gold anodizing has been rubbed back and re-done in black to stick with the black/grey and silver contrast styling. You can see the original bike look from three months ago in my avatar.

I had the Termi's slip-ons on the stock pipes but got tired of those so sought out a good pipe bender who could do what I wanted. The pipes are custom Wizard Sleeve, 2" SS with ceramic coating and inner cores of SS mesh and FG for baffling and back pressure. The O2 sensor is fitted and working but the servo has been disconnected with the EM link retained to stop annoying error LEDs popping up.  The end caps are custom molded alloy, in a rectangular x-section, hand machined with carved fluting & striations. I'll get some clearer pics of them once I can get the bike into some better light, they are really sensational to look at.

I like the open rear look, so from the pics below you can see where I was going. The next phase (once my wallet recovers)  is to somehow lower the headlight assembly and drop the gauges about an inch or two so they don't sit so high, all without cutting anything. I'm thinking of using spacers and longer bolts, dunno yet, wiring may be a problem here.

Next week is a dyno and some work on fuel mixes, I expect it to run a little rich, just how much is what we want to look into.

More as it happens.

Jim

M1100 2010 in Ducati Titanium Grey
Custom Wizard Sleeve pipes & PC5 with O2 opt
14T Front
DP Anodized Pressure Plate DP Tail Chop
DP LED Indicators               Rizoma Rearset & Mirrors
Oggie Sliders                     Rizoma Bars & Levers
Stormtrooper

2011 Monster 796 ABS

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:11:41 PM »

That's a pretty trick looking exhaust you got there.  Post up some more pics
joshuajcrouch

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 07:53:54 PM »

Love it.  X2 on more pix.
DexterMorgan

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 08:20:46 PM »

Looks great!  The contrast you get with the white wheels is awesome.  A carbon fiber rear tire hugger would set it off!

Can't wait for more pics!   Cool

-Adam-
2013 Monster 1100 Evo
2013 Monster 796 (wife's)
Sundog

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »

The rims are actually stock silver, it's just the light that makes them look white, although I am trying to get a real contrast between the dark and light using the dark grey and silver, similar to others who have used black and gold which personally I thought had been done to death (no offense to anyone who has done so, just my personal pref  Smiley ).

I'm back at the workshop tomorrow so I'll take some better quality shots and close-ups of the pipes. I found out just before that the forks have developed a fluid leak due to seal shrinkage, I imagine due to lack of use over the last couple of months it's been in bits. So the triple will have to be demounted again = more $ and more waiting....*sigh*

14T Front
memper

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 03:11:58 PM »

V nice. I would paint the hugger the dark gray to match. And add a heat shield. I see a melted boot heel in your future...or does it look closer due to the photo angle?
It will be interesting to see the dyno.

(** I would LOVE to hear those pipes. Vid please?)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:14:46 PM by memper » Logged

"Calling a bikini fairing on a monster a fairing is like calliing a girl in an actual bikini proper work attire....unless shes a stripper." -He Man

-----------------------------------------
Important: always check your battery filter and regularly change your headlight fluid.
Sundog

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 08:11:26 PM »

And add a heat shield. I see a melted boot heel in your future...or does it look closer due to the photo angle?
It will be interesting to see the dyno.

(** I would LOVE to hear those pipes. Vid please?)

There is a heat shield going on, it was in the paint booth at the time of the photo. It will run for about 12 " along the closest boot proximity to the pipe. About 50/50 either side of the sump 'window'. The right peg is not as close as it looks in the photo, I have already tried it out and I have Size 10's, it was more a problem for the inside of my right foot and toe. The pipes are perfectly aligned the same dimensions, photo parallax just makes them appear different.

The hugger is stock and quite flexible, I doubt paint would stay on it without crazing so I need to get a CF version that is stiffer, no money for that at the moment.

The sound is out of this world, trumps the Termi's hands down. I did get an audio but the acoustics in the workshop were terrible and the guys had Slayer playing in the background REALLY LOUD. I will capture the dyno with audio and put it on YT, hopefully this coming week. I already have a dyno run with Termi's on from 12 months back but it was a different dyno to the one next week so you can't really compare numbers. I'm just interested in A) a smooth (comparable) curve, B) where the rpm sweet spot will be now that the engine has higher flow and C) the A/F mix.

Here's some closeups of the pipes and end caps as requested.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:28:19 PM by Sundog » Logged

14T Front
Stormtrooper

2011 Monster 796 ABS

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »

^sick! I love it when people ditch the off the shelf and get creative!
memper

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 03:43:01 AM »

Does the pipe tag really say Wizard Sleeve? LOL  laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

On a more serious note, is there a crossover pipe?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:44:54 AM by memper » Logged

"Calling a bikini fairing on a monster a fairing is like calliing a girl in an actual bikini proper work attire....unless shes a stripper." -He Man

-----------------------------------------
Important: always check your battery filter and regularly change your headlight fluid.
Sundog

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »

Yes it does say Wizard Sleeve, the comparison is obvious  Smiley

There is a X-over, yes. It's behind the engine, hidden by the right rearset.

14T Front
Rowdy

S4R

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 01:10:35 AM »

Comin along well Jim.

You greatly underestimate the amount of overconfidence I have.
Sundog

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 04:18:34 AM »

Yeah thanks Rowdy. I can't wait to get on it again, its been weeks since I've ridden.

The PC5 goes in tomorrow and the dyno is prob Friday. I'm hoping the tuner will allow me into the booth to record the whole thing, depends on OH&S rules I suppose and how angsty he is about them. Fingers X-ed
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:39:27 PM by Sundog » Logged

14T Front
Sundog

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »

OK, the dyno is done, the results are below, some background context first though.

I had a PC5 installed on Thursday, with the new O2 optimiser kit, which threw the installer a bit because he'd never seen one with the new wiring so it took longer to get in.

There are two charts but not on the same Dynojet system, so don't take numbers too seriously, there will be margins of error for setup, tuner etc. I was more interested in the power curve and AF ratio's.

The first chart shows the dyno run from nearly 2 years ago by Ducati when I had the Termi's slip-ons, air filter and ECU installed (stock pipes). The red line is the stock cans and the blue is after the Termi's kit is installed. At the time I thought it was an improvement but the low rev range (<3.5k) might prove to be a "bit of a challenge" shall we say but a definite improvement through the mid range though.

The second chart shows a couple of Friday's runs with the new Wizard Sleeve pipes and the PC5 fitted. We took a baseline before the AF tuning but there were some issues with a sensor which were resolved after 3 or 4 more runs but I forgot to ask him to capture the chart, so we only have an already tuned chart with the comparison with the O2 optimizer added in.

It was surprising how much difference just the O2 Optimiser added (blue line) at the extremes of the rev range.

I'm no expert in dyno's so would appreciate the more learned commenting on the results but to me the low end looks a world better but through mid and high there is little change compared to the Termi setup. I'm pleased with the smooth curve, it looks like there will be no surprises through the rev range. I suppose the true test is via seat time, which I have a few more days to wait for.

It took about 4 hours for a custom front and rear map to be created and I'd like to thank Dave at Dyno Bike in Moorabin for putting up with me kibitzing for that long Grin. BTW, the pipes are soooo sweet to listen to. I have a video I'm editing to put on YT soon, I'm not sure how the audio will turn out, the dyno booth isn't really acoustically setup for sound recording. I'll provide a link when I'm done.

14T Front
J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »

the first chart shows way lean in the low rpm

i have used a dyno before with the same software

if you can get the dyno result file the winpep software is free online and you can make whatever graph display you like using the file

time/power
torque/hp
power /af

etc

the time/power graph is good to review

doesnt matter if you can make 200hp if it takes 5 mins to get there

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 05:08:40 AM »

It was surprising how much difference just the O2 Optimiser added (blue line) at the extremes of the rev range.
Very surprising.

PCV's O2 optimisers do NOTHING at all outside of closed loop rev range.  Below 4,500rpm*  the optimisers role is to "fatten" up the stock AFR to compensate for being unable to control fuelling thru PCV's parameters in closed loop.   In open loop, above 4,500rpm* your optimisers do absolutely zilch, any improvement there is coming thru fuelling managed by PCV inputs.

(*or something close to that, I forget the exactly the closed to open loop rpm on M1100... 3,750.. 4,000.. 4250.. 4,500..  thereabouts)

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: