Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 06:04:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1995 Ducati Monster 600 carbed, Cranking, no spark. Tried "everything"  (Read 3191 times)
even9692

« on: May 24, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »

I guess the problem has been developing somewhat last fall, with random misfirings and one or another slow start. I didn't think much of it due to cold, and sometimes wet weather.
Anyways, the bike was running ok when I set her up for storage during winter, and a maintenance charger took care of the disconnected battery. Thinking of bringing her out in the warm weather recently, I tried to start her up. She cranked just fine, and all visible electrics were working as they should. However, no spark. Not a single weak little sign of her coming to life.

So, as the subject line says, my bike cranks just fine, but there is just no spark at all.
I have checked mostly every part mentioned in the workshop manual with an ohm-meter, and everything seems to be within specifications, including coils, plugs, plug leads, pickups, relay, and so on. I have an Ignitec unit laying around, so I have tested both that and the original kokusan cdi boxes.  All the fuses are switched to new ones to be sure none of them are broken.

As you might understand, I'm starting to grow just a tiny bit frustrated, as there is absolutely no visible spark at all, in any of the spark plugs, when held against ground, cranking the engine.

Does anyone have anything I have missed out on? I just can't seem to find the issue causing my problem.

Even
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 04:40:19 PM »

Check the frame grounds?

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
greenmonster

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 01:21:20 AM »

Tried new plugs?

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 03:28:49 AM »

I'm going to assume you checked the terminal caps as a separate part (5K ohms).  Replacing the spark plugs ain't a bad idea since they are a maintenance part anyway, but before that do what Ddan says and check that both the coils and modules have good grounds..  Unlike later Monsters your ground is a two cable so you must check all connections.  Voltage drop while cranking is the best method, though, in your case, it might be better to disassemble, clean and reassemble first since the ignition modules don't like bad grounds.
even9692

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 06:53:46 AM »

So, I checked the coils, and both of them had 12v with ignition on, dropping to around 9-10v when cranking. So I replaced the spark plugs, and cleaned every electrical contact I could find with rustoff, and put it all back together. Holding the plugs against the engine and cranking, well what do you know? Two strong, healthy series of blue sparks. It felt good. a little bit too good actually...

Anyways, thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. After an oil change tomorrow, I should be able to go for a ride again Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: