Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:27:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Cover the Levers, or Not Cover the Levers..  (Read 6206 times)
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« on: May 06, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »

I'm in the habit of keeping my levers covered with my index and middle fingers all the time when I ride. I developed the habit on the dirt. When I took the MSF class they told us not to do that, but it was a hard habit for me to break during the class. Their reasoning was they don't want the brake lever covered because if a rider panics they'll likely react by grabbing a fist-full of the front brake and just eat it.

Currently I prefer to keep my levers covered. My clutch side, mostly for comfort and symmetry with my throttle side, and my throttle side because I feel like I have much better throttle control because my index and middle finger provide a base for my hand to absorb bumps in the road so I don't end up chopping the throttle all the time.

It seems like the pros don't cover their levers, so I'm wondering if it's technically incorrect, or if it's just a rider-preference thing..

What does everyone think?

2011 m696
polivo

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:43:11 PM »

Ive been thinking about this alot this season as well.  Ive been covering them for years. Last year i came across some information that stated a reason for not covering them. Supposedly, NOT covering the brake/clutch allows you.. to focus simply on the job at hand.. steering, decel or accel.. cleanly.  It forces you to commit to that action (since your not covering the clutch or brakes).. I started trying this this season. Maybe its psychological, but I will say, when im currently in a turn, without controls covererd. I am STARING at the exit.. and im commited to the turn and completing it with throttle roll on.. as opposed to modulating it with brakes and/or clutch.    What are your guys thoughts?
Triple J
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »

I think you should do what is most comfortable for you. MSF is a good course, but they aren't always right. For instance, they teach to use 4 fingers all the time when braking...but this is stupid for modern sportbike brakes where 2 is more than adequate, and fade allowing the brake lever to touch the bar (and your fingers) is non-existant.

On the street I would cover the brake near intersections, or when I thought I should (i.e. lots of stupid cagers around). On the track it depends on how long I won't be needing to brake. I honestly don't even think about it.
polivo

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »

I think you should do what is most comfortable for you. MSF is a good course, but they aren't always right. For instance, they teach to use 4 fingers all the time when braking...but this is stupid for modern sportbike brakes where 2 is more than adequate, and fade allowing the brake lever to touch the bar (and your fingers) is non-existant.

On the street I would cover the brake near intersections, or when I thought I should (i.e. lots of stupid cagers around). On the track it depends on how long I won't be needing to brake. I honestly don't even think about it.

bear in mind, when people refer to the "MSF course".. what theyre usually talking about is the Basic Rider course.  That course is designed with Safety as the PRIMARY objective. So with that said, theres always more than one way to skin a cat.  I think we just need to consider WHAT were trying to accomplish.. and whats the right way to skin it, to get that done.
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »

Yea, I've been thinking along those lines basically. I'm always covering both levers in traffic, surface streets, splitting on the fwys, etc, because nobody watches for motorcycles in the states. I cover in the canyons too, going through twisties and on the straights. It's not something I'm worried about, really more curious than anything.

I feel like it really helps me when it comes to throttle control so I'll probably keep doing it. I've never been to a track, but when I do I'm definitely asking the instructors what they think.

@Polivo - good point about the focusing on the exits better. I feel like i do that already but I'll give it a try and see if I notice any real difference.  

2011 m696
Rowdy

S4R

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 02:29:22 PM »

I'm in the habit of keeping my levers covered with my index and middle fingers all the time when I ride. I developed the habit on the dirt.

Same for me. I've done some emergency braking on the 1098 and it had huge initial bite in the front mono block Brembos. Even locked the front up during training to experience the feeling. Covering the leavers has not caused me any issues.

You greatly underestimate the amount of overconfidence I have.
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:44:24 AM »

Same for me. I've done some emergency braking on the 1098 and it had huge initial bite in the front mono block Brembos. Even locked the front up during training to experience the feeling. Covering the leavers has not caused me any issues.

locked up the front during training!?! you're far more brave than I am!

2011 m696
Duc796canada

My first Ducati and road bike!

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 09:29:42 PM »

I cover them when approaching and scanning the intersections!! Or in slow traffic, where I anticipate the vehicle in front to brake.

796 Red Monster(sans ABS)
Viz-Tec Supabrake II
15/41 gearing(AFAM quick change sprocket)
PC V, NEXTUP QS.
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 track bike(I know...not a Duc...some day)
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »

I cover the levers when the situation requires instant reaction. If someone pulls out in front of me I don't want to spend time moving my fingers to the levers.

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
Greg

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 04:42:48 PM »

The MSF guys gave me crap about covering the brake as well. I do it out of habit and also because due a previous wreck I screwed up the tendon on the index finger and now it doesn't bend all the way, or straighten all the way, and it's natural resting angle is right on the brake. Anyway they said they didn't want people braking with 1 or 2 fingers because in an emergency you should use all four, but bear in mind they were using Honda 125/250 Rebels for the class and those brakes NEEDED to be squeezed hard because they didn't do shit!

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 08:24:09 AM »

Yea, my MSF coaches said they didnt want us covering the brake bc they said people will panic and grab too much of the front brake too quickly and then crash. In MSF class i think that makes sense, but for regular riding after having some experience i think its up to the riders discretion. That seems to be the general thought here as well.

Its definitely a habit thing for my, but my throttle control i think is much better bc i have my index and middle fingers resting on the lever providing a kind of base for my right hand.

My class was on some kawai 125 or some shit. Those things would get up to a solid 10/15 mph in first gear. Those suckers really pulled....

2011 m696
polivo

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »

why do the motogp riders never cover breaks in turn? im sure theres a good reason, just curious what you guys think.
Twizted

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 06:01:44 AM »

why do the motogp riders never cover breaks in turn? im sure theres a good reason, just curious what you guys think.

Braking is usually done before the corner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: