Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 03:50:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have I lost that loving feeling?  (Read 13297 times)
yamifixer

« on: April 11, 2013, 11:34:37 AM »

Or am I getting old?

I got my 2000 900Sie out from it's winter slumber and I really do not feel confident riding it so far this season. I been riding a long time (40+ years) and quit riding like a idiot a decade ago (close call on an RD and a mortgage).

I just can't relax while riding. I feel way to hot in every corner and nothing feels automatic like it has always been.

I fear that getting over cautious is going to get me into trouble. but i feel like I am riding that way.

Thoughts?

'00 M900Sie, '66 Benelli Fireball, '70 Honda Z50
Valve Springs are EVIL
Jimmy6tring

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:58:59 AM »

Or am I getting old?

I got my 2000 900Sie out from it's winter slumber and I really do not feel confident riding it so far this season. I been riding a long time (40+ years) and quit riding like a idiot a decade ago (close call on an RD and a mortgage).

I just can't relax while riding. I feel way to hot in every corner and nothing feels automatic like it has always been.

I fear that getting over cautious is going to get me into trouble. but i feel like I am riding that way.

Thoughts?

There are a million things that could be causing you to feel anxious riding after a several-month hiatus and barring any medical conditions/medications you haven't mentioned, they're all mental.  That's the good news. 

Take your time. Give yourself a chance to get your confidence back.  Ride with the intention of having fun safely and proving that you "still got it".  Take your time and just enjoy being in the wind while going as slow as you want around curves. You may never be as quick as you once were but that doesn't matter if you're not riding for money.

And practice BREATHING!  Seriously.  Relax your breathing when you start to feel anxious on the bike.  The sympathetic nervous system which is responsible for the "fight or flight" response causes the breath to get short and shallow; taking long slow breaths will help to negate those effects, slow your heart rate, and help to calm you down.

Have FUN! Hope this helps.
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 12:49:17 PM »

Tyres. Seriously. Check pressure and life. To me a new set of tyres feels like night and day compared to old ones.

TACstrat

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 10:59:35 PM »

I started riding again after a 15 year hiatus and it took a while to feel comfortable again.  It took about 2 weeks for the muscle memory to come back so I didn't need to think about clutch, brake, throttle coordination.  Only then did I take it on the highway and had to get used to the speed and the wind.  I'm still not as good a rider as I used to be but I'm close and am getting better every ride.  It's not like riding a bicycle - it takes some relearning if you stop riding for a while.
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 03:58:38 AM »

First, let me say that I wish with all my heart that I'll be riding 40 years from now. 24, just started on the street less than a year a half ago. You're still riding, which is awesome and inspiring.

I'm far from experienced, but here's what I think. SLOW DOWN. If you're anxious, slow the pace. Remember the curves, don't try to tear them up. Get your fluid natural motion back and I'd expect you'll get the old feeling back sooner rather than later. who cares how fast you're riding or if you're riding as fast as you have before.. If you're loving being on the bike and having fun, there's nothing else to it.

I agree with the comment above about breathing of course too. Just chill out, relax, lean into the curves at pace you're comfortable with, and you'll get that one-of-a-kind sensation right back.

Ride safe brother! No love lost whatsoever.

2011 m696
Raux
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 06:48:30 AM »

i just spent half a day at a safety day for the mlitary riders.
can i say , i sucked on my ST2

couldn't do the box until about the 3rd time and even then was nervous as hell, etc etc.

BUT, at the end of the time I rode away better than I started and realized, even after just a few months of not riding consistently my skills degraded (not that they were ever that great)

take your time, get on a practice pad, and relax
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 08:02:56 AM »

As my skills have improved, my spring nervousness gets worse every year.

Maybe there's a connection between general awareness/skills and ability to register that something isn't right?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
joshuajcrouch

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 08:55:07 AM »

It might be appropriate to get a safety course refresher.  Most states offer intermediate and experienced classes.  One of those options might just what you need.

I ride to work 5 days a week all year round.  I find that come Monday morning if I haven't rode all weekend my coordination can be a little jerky.  By Tuesday I am back in the groove and smooth.

So even a 2 day break from riding is noticeable for me.  Give it some time and take it easy.
polivo

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 03:38:55 AM »

take the brc2. it will help re-aquainting you with your bike. It will build confidence in a way, straight line riding will not.
Wedge
Wedge

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 04:18:42 PM »

I grew up riding and rode multiple sport-bikes but was out of it for almost 8 years.  I finally jumped back in in 2008 with my S2R-1000.  One of the first things I did was take the motorcycle safety course offered free here in PA.  Yes it was really basic but I used it as a foundation to get back on track.  The focus on safety and technique was just what I needed.  Now, when I get the bike out for the first ride of the season it just comes back naturally.  Early spring riding can be a bit "sporty" in the NE due to sand and gravel left over from winter.  I always wait for a good rain to clean things up.  Good luck and hang in there.
seevtsaab

05 M620

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 06:22:14 AM »

Tyres. Seriously. Check pressure and life. To me a new set of tyres feels like night and day compared to old ones.

+1. Amazing how tires just beginning to square off can effect feel.
ab
ab

ab

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 05:54:16 PM »

Every start of the season, I go through the same relearning phase.  It's amazing how every curve you know, suddenly you doubt yourself more than usual.   Takes bit of time to get back.  Keep practicing.

Amazing how true the one post about tyre pressure is.  I would have a horrible ride complaining and then notice tyre pressure was pretty low.  I and many others need to get into habit of checking.

Good luck and be safe.

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
wiggsmeister

can't not ride

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 05:46:54 AM »

yea, i ordered new tires last week and just got them delivered a couple days ago.. i didn't realize how much tread these tires are actually supposed to have, front and rear..

2011 m696
Mundman

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 09:16:49 PM »

If all is well with the bike than take a refresher course!

'12 Ducati 1199 tri
'10 KTM 990 SuperMoto 990
'02 HD Heritage Springer
'94 Honda Nighthawk 250
Assorted Tonka and Corgi vehicles
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 03:51:40 PM »

I am considering taking a Total Control Class.  So scared of dumping my Duc that I am not as proficient at leaning over as I used to be.  Riding less than 10k a year for the last couple has not helped.......

Nervous happens after any break in riding for most of us mere Humans.  Smiley

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: