Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 03:59:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Breaking VS Brakes  (Read 20423 times)
Duc796canada

My first Ducati and road bike!

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »

Who was it that said they used only their rear brakes when dirt riding? Probably not motocross!! In motocross even at novice speed, all brakes are used, the rear has lots of "other" uses, but the front is used LOTS!!

796 Red Monster(sans ABS)
Viz-Tec Supabrake II
15/41 gearing(AFAM quick change sprocket)
PC V, NEXTUP QS.
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 track bike(I know...not a Duc...some day)
duc996

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2013, 04:23:22 AM »

I use my rear brakes during u turns and slow moving traffics

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
pesto

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2013, 04:56:53 AM »

It's simple mathematics. 

There's more than one force at play here. There is N UP from the force of gravity pushing you down, and there is N opposite to the direction you are travelling from the force of your motorcycle moving. Therefore, the total N is always more than the weight of the bike and rider.  μ is increased by using both brakes, increasing brake-wheel friction which increases tire-road friction which increases  μ.

I think  laughingdp.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/crstp.html

This is of course assuming that you are not on an 1199R travelling at near light speed with the headlight on.

2013 White M696
Triple J
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2013, 08:17:37 AM »

There's more than one force at play here. There is N UP from the force of gravity pushing you down, and there is N opposite to the direction you are travelling from the force of your motorcycle moving. Therefore, the total N is always more than the weight of the bike and rider.  μ is increased by using both brakes, increasing brake-wheel friction which increases tire-road friction which increases  μ.

Friction (u) is a constant value, dependent on materials. It doesn't change due to braking. The normal force (N) is what changes. The total force is defined as N x u.

I agree that N is higher than just the static weight of the rider and bike, due to the momentum of the bike.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:23:21 AM by Triple J » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: